“Charming and Well Located” 5 of 5 stars

Home for the Holidays
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Downingtown, Pennsylvania
“Charming and Well Located”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

My husband and I recently spent a night at the Morrison House in Alexandria. In the interest of full disclosure, I booked my stay through a discount site that did not name the hotel until my credit card had been charged and I paid less than the published rate. Prior to my departure, I read the reviews of the hotel on Trip Advisor and was dismayed to learn that I would probably be given a first floor room, that is to say, a room in the basement and yes, that is what happened. However, the room was fine – nicely appointed, very clean, and adequately sized (certainly larger than most European hotel rooms). Our king bed was soft and comfy, and neither of us found much to complain about. The only drawback was the window which was smaller than most hotel windows and looked out on the street where we could see only the tires of cars. No problem, we simply closed the curtains which I would have done anyway when we retired for the night. Oh, and one of the bedside table lamps did not work properly, but I called the front desk and the lamp was replaced within five minutes. The staff was lovely and very responsive, the public rooms were charming, and the biggest advantage to this hotel is its wonderful location close to the stores and cafes on King Street. Would I have felt differently if I had paid full price? Maybe. But it’s a good hotel, the inconveniences are minor, and for your money, whatever you pay, you get a great location in an interesting and fun place to visit, plus it’s close to the sights of Washington D.C. at considerably less expense than you would pay there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Trina J,

Thank you for the great feedback. It is awesome to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. I’m glad that you found our hotel to be a great value and that you took advantage of our central location. It is good to hear that our team fixed the lamp in your room immediately but I’m sorry that we did not catch this prior to your arrival.
We hope to welcome you back soon,

Tobias

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Melbourne Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

Just recently stayed at the Kimpton, and it was a great trip. The staff was great, smiling, and all around met all my requests. My room was well appointed, clean, and taken care of. I enjoyed the wine happy hour, and wished I was able to partake in it more than one evening.
I got a kick out ot the Saturday evening sing along, which appeared to be a singing club, and I was thankful I didn't have to sing. Altough I was working all weekend, my girlfriend and I had a great time while staying there.
It was my first time staying at a Kimpton, and hopefully not my last.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear Patrick G,

I truly appreciate that you took the time to write this awesome review. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our friendly staff and that your overall experience with us was such a great one. We hope to welcome you back soon for more free wine, good music and many more genuine smiles.

Yours,

Boston, Mass.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed at Morrison House recently while in DC for a one-day business meeting nearby in Alexandria. The location is lovely, on a side street just off King Street near the center of the Old Town district, in a nicely kept brick building with black shutters and a little round portico at the entrance--very Middle Atlantic-looking.

Like a lot of Kimpton hotels, the Morrison House works hard on atmosphere, and mostly gets that right, but gets a few of the nuts-and-bolts things wrong. My room was cozy and tastefully decorated, but the key didn't work on the first try (the doorman who came to help me with it said this was a common problem with their keys), hot water in the shower was lukewarm at 8PM, the air conditioning did not seem to respond very well to thermostat adjustments, and the wi-fi was comically slow.

If these sorts of glitches don't bother you, the place has some genuine charm. The night I was there, they were having a piano bar karaoke session in the dining room, with a two-man band and a DJ running the sound system as a large, convivial group of mostly older patrons sang everything from Peggy Lee to Elton John, some of them quite well. It was fun and different, and almost made up for the lukewarm shower.

Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear nightchef,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. I’m disappointing that your recent stay did not meet the high standards we are known for.
I like to ensure you that the problems you had are not common at our hotel. Our keys usually work flawless, we just upgraded all of our thermostats to one of the newest and most advanced products out there and our guests usually always enjoy a hot shower.
I’m excited to let you know that we just signed a contract to upgrade our wireless internet service. I truly hope that I will get the opportunity to welcome you back so you can experience our new lightning fast internet and the high level of service we are known for.
Please contact me directly at: tobias.arff@morrisonhouse.com if there is anything I can assist you with in the future and again my apologies for our shortcomings.

America
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Stayed with my new wife for 2 nights at this hotel upon recommendation from my uncle who is a frequent patron of the hotel. I must admit the classic elegance of the rooms blew me away and i was quite pleased with the amenities offered. We didn't get to try the wine specials or the hotel restaurant but we saw quite a few guests having a good time. Proximity to everything in downtown Alexandria was great and we had no problem venturing out . The rooms had actual keys insted of key cards , definitely forced me to take care of my room key.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TravelLongTyme,

The entire team at the Morrison House likes to congratulate you on your recent marriage.
Thank you for the kind comments about your experience with us. We truly hope that we will be able to welcome you back soon, possible for your 1st anniversary?

All the best,

Toms River, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

This was our third stay. Excellent, courteous and helpful staff. Beautiful rooms. In the heart of Old Town in Alexandria, Virginia. Decor of reading room is great. Would highly recommend it. Room rates are not expensive. Do not know if they have a workout facility or pool on site.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear FHC1,

Thank you for being a loyal guest at the Morrison House. I’m glad that you enjoyed our location the décor and our courteous and helpful staff.
All of our hotel guests are more than welcome to use the pool and the gym of our sister property Hotel Monaco. It is just a few blocks up the road and free of charge for you.
Thanks for your great feedback and please keep coming back to us.

Grove, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed here for about 2 weeks on business. The hotel is in a superb location (1 block away from "Old Town" main drag.) The valet only parking here is about $25 a day which really eats into your wallet if staying for an extended period of time but this cost is comparable with other nearby hotels. My room was rather small and the bathroom facilities a bit outdated but the bed was extremely comfortable and the room clean. They offer complimentary wine every night for an hour which was fantastic. Despite a few aspects about the hotel I didn't care for what really makes this hotel shine is the staff willing to meet your every need. The Morrison House is a quaint and cozy hotel that I would recommend for a weekend, honeymoon or special event stay but feel there are better options around if your looking for extended stay type accommodations.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear CountryBoy70,

Thank you for choosing the Morrison House and thank you for writing this review.
It is awesome to hear that you truly enjoyed our staff and our complementary daily evening wine reception.
Please let me know if you are planning to return to our area. I would like to personally assist you in making your next extended stay as enjoyable as possible. You can reach me directly at: tobias.arff@morrisonhouse.com

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

The Morrison House is a great little hotel in Old Town, Alexandria. The staff really sets this property apart. Without exception they are kind, courteous, and always willing to do whatever you need done during your stay. The hotel is small, which can be a good thing if you're not intersted in being over run with big crowds of people. The restuarant food was good at breakfast and dinner. The rooms are small but nicely appointed and very clean. I will have no problem staying again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Hello travelingcoroner,

I am glad you found our staff to be kind and courteous and that you had a super stay with us.
Thank you for the nice review and for choosing the Morrison House. We hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future.

Tobias

Been to Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!