“Swanky” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
“Swanky”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Driving through, and saw good reviews. Yes! Super location in Old Town, close to lots of shops and eats. Beautiful hotel with very well trained staff. Sat in the lobby/parlor just to enjoy the ambience with coffee (included) in the morning. Got a special deal that included a bottle of sparkling wine and chocolates. Valet parking is $25, but you could park on the street and feed the meters until 7:00 pm and after 8:00 pm. Sign up for their loyalty program to get free wifi...Not too onerous. Loved it!

Room Tip: Queen deluxe was small and very nice
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Hello Shannon W,

It sounds like you took advantage of our Valentine’s package and I’m glad that you had a good time. I really appreciate your comment about our well trained staff and I will be happy to share you feedback with all of them.
Thanks for this review and for staying with us.

Hope to see you again soon,

524 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
Abingdon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

My husband and I travel to Alexandria a few times a year to visit family. We have stayed at many different hotels and never the same one twice. After staying at the Morrison house, we have found the perfect place. The accomodations are beautiful and comfortable. The staff is warm and helpful. I have another reason to look forward to visiting Alexandria.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Lenora L,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. I hope that your search for your favorite hotel in Alexandria is over and that we will become your new home away from home whenever your travels bring you into our beautiful city.
We can’t wait to welcome you back.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013 via mobile

I used Trip Advisor to look for somewhere to stay that was not the typical DC area business trip hotel, and I am glad I did. Very relaxing and familiar atmosphere. The "Wine Hour" was a nice touch in the early evening; drinking it in the dedicated library while reading a paper was a great way to unwind. The atmosphere was old leather, red wine, and other hotel guests chatting by the fireplace and playing board games. Dinner followed: food was well prepared, tasty, and the service was excellent. My room became a suite because I was a hotel club member; big, comfortable bed on the upper floor. The only ding: the view look out directly into an adjacent office building. Breakfast was very good, and the service from the slightly mad Irishman was most appreciated. All in all, this will be my go-to hotel when in DC.

• Stayed February 2013
Hello Bajadaddy,

Awesome that you found our hotel and your experience to be relaxing, unique and enjoyable. It sounds like you really made the most out of your stay. You attended our evening wine reception, dined in our restaurant and enjoyed your breakfast. I’m sorry that you were not fully satisfied with your view from your suite. Please let me know when you are planning to come back as I would like to personally assist you with our room assignment. We have the perfect room for everybody and I’m determent to find yours. I can be reached at: tobias.arff@morrisonhouse.com
Thanks for the great review and the great pictures.

winchester, va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Had a weekend get away with my husband. The location is great - one block off of King Street. Close to restaurants, but tucked away is a quite alley. Great Valet Parking - room to pull in off the street. The decor is fantastic - Federal style with a modern twist. The service was fantastic - everyone is helpful - cookies in the room upon arrival. Definitely one of my favorite American hotels.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear trarvelchica,

We love positive feedback especially when it comes from such an experienced traveler as you. I’m glad that you enjoyed the style of our Hotel, the service and our central location.
Please come back to see us again soon.

New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have stayed here twice for business. I love that it's small and yet has everything you need. The rooms are beautiful and comfortable. The staff are extremely helpful, and pleasant. I travel a lot for business and find larger hotels too corporate and impersonal, but Morrison House is the complete opposite. It's a home away from home. The location is perfect for getting into D.C. quickly, and also enjoy quaint Alexandria. I highly recommend staying here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hey Katie E,

I like to thank you for your Trip Advisor review and for your loyalty. It is very hard to explain in pictures what truly sets us apart from the larger hotels. Your description however is right on. There are many options when it comes to hotels in our area and I’m very grateful that you chose the Morrison House to be your home away from home. Please let me know if there is anything I can assist you with in the future.

Tobias.arff@morrisonhouse.com
St. Joseph
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I stayed three nights in the Morrison House and can not say enough good things about it. Upon arrival, I was treated like a VIP. From the door man to the butler (I have never stayed at a hotel that had a butler before) everyone was exceptional. My room was upgraded from a queen to a king deluxe at no charge and I hadn't even requested it. There was a friendly greeting at the front desk, a gift bag with some nice extra things like a candle and a delicious chocolate bar. In the room was a handwritten welcome note and freshly baked cookies. The bedding was so comfortable and nice and the room, as well as all the common areas of the hotel, was spotless. It was a little more expensive than I usually pay but for the Washington DC area, it was not unreasonable and the level of service more than made up for the extra cost. I love Alexandria with it's old charm and cobblestone streets. I hope to come back someday and if I do I will most definitely stay at the Morrison House. Thank you for the wonderful experience. I also recommend signing up for the InTouch Loyalty program it is free and I received a complimentary $10 credit from the mini bar which was stocked with lots of healthy options that I truly appreciated. The only thing I wish the Morrison House had was a fitness center.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Hello GMathes,

We appreciate you kind and detailed review. It is awesome to read that you truly enjoyed your stay and the high level of service we are trying to provide every day.
It is indeed a great idea to sign up for our Kimpton In Touch loyalty program. Not only will you receive free Wi-Fi and a $10 honor bar credit, you might also get lucky to score a room upgrade like you did.
I wish we would be able to fit a fitness center on property. We however have arrangements with one of our sister properties and all of our guests have free access to their gym and pool. It is only four blocks away and you can used the beautiful and short five minute walk as your warm up. Thanks again for the great and informative feedback.

Waconia, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

After a booking error we ended up staying at The Morrison House for the 2013 Inauguration. Only one word can describe the staff, rooms and service - fabulous!!!! I have family in DC and I will definitely be back! Old Town is an incredible an convenient place to stay as well - 5 BiG stars all around! Thank you Morrison House!!!!

• Stayed January 2013
Dear victoriahaugrud,

Thank you for your kind words and praise. It truly was a pleasure to work with you on resolving the booking error. I’m glad that you and your group enjoyed your time at the Morrison House and it was great to get to know all of you during our complementary evening wine reception. Don’t wait too long to visit your family as we can’t wait to welcome you back.

Yours,

Tobias

Been to Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!