“Welcoming for me and my dog!” 5 of 5 stars

Book Now and SAVE!
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Manchester, New Hampshire
“Welcoming for me and my dog!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I had the incredible pleasure of staying at the Morrison House (a Kimpton hotel) in late December 2012. I was in the process of relocating from New England to the South and had my pet dog with me. I was very concerned about being able to find pet friendly accomodations along the way - while researching the internet I was directed to Morrison House by petswelcome.com. Not only is the Alexandria, VA Morrison House pet friendly but ALL Kimpton Hotels are. When we arrived at the dramatic and gorgeous civil war era mansion we were greeted by Abdullah who welcomed us as if we had been there many times before, he made me feel at home instantly! He greeted my dog and myself and got us checked in and comfortable very quickly. The room was beautiful and well appointed. The concierge was so helpful and kind as was all of the staff from room service personnel to the gentleman that brought ice to the room. Once settled my dog and I went for a wonderful walk in the old city, cobblestone streets, beautiful shops and kind and friendly passers by. After our walk we returned to the room to order some room service for dinner. My meal arrived very quickly and did not dissapoint. The next morning Sabrina helped us out with our checkout and just as Abdullah had when we arrived she made us feel appreciated as a guest and wished us well and Happy New Year with a kind and sincere smile. We had to set out again on our trip but I will not forget the brief yet terrific stay at the Morrison House and have pledged that we will be back soon to explore the area even more in the very near future. Thank you to all the staff that helped make our short stay so memorable!

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor, it was very quiet...you would never know there were several dogs and chi...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Happy New Year Denise D,

Thank you for taking the time to write this awesome review. I hope you settled in nicely in the South and I wish you all the best for the future. I’m thrilled that you and your dog had an all around awesome experience with us and that Abdullah, Sabrina and the rest of our team made your short stay in Alexandria such a positive one.

Please don’t be a stranger!

Tobias Arff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Marshfield
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

The Morrison House is OUTSTANDING ! We were driving from Massachusetts to Miami and thanks to other Trip Advisor reviews selected the Morrison House. We were not disappointed. Our corner room was outstanding, beautifully appointed with windows that open !!!! Dinner and drinks at The Grill ended a long day on the road and the area was quaint and perfect. Only wish we had more time to explore the neighborhood ... but we will on our return north! This hotel is a must for anyone in the area.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room. We were on the 5th floor. Very quiet and lovely.
Dear JayMarshfield,

Thanks for the outstanding review of your stay at the Morrison House. Looks like we knocked it out of the park!
It sounds like you have to come back to experience all the fun and beauty Old Town Alexandria has to offer. We are looking forward to welcome you back with open arms!

See you soon!

Silver Spring, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Staff couldn't have been better. Room was not huge but very comfortable with comfy bathrobes and minibar. Sign up for the free Kimpton membership and you get free wifi and $10 free in minibar!! Make sure you don't pay for wifi in this way. Our only problem was a dog that had been left alone during a wedding. The poor animal was frantic and barking and crying loudly. However, a call to the front desk got immediate help. They must have called the owners to attend to the dog and the rest of the evening was quiet. We got help from staff on restaurants and directions. Breakfast in am was good but the eggwhite omelet was tiny. I was still hungry!
However, impeccable service (turndown, mint on pillow) and very, very classy hotel. I definitely would return.

Dear MargeBA,

Thank you very much for your great review. I really appreciate that you informed our front desk about the barking dog so we were able to contact the owner immediately. I’m sorry about any inconvenience this caused you but I’m glad. It is great to hear that you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay. Please let me know the next time you are planning to be in our area. Your next egg white omelet will be on me.

Gainesville, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

This is a very nice, small hotel in a wonderful location. They picked us up at the airport, which is a complimentary service. We had a top floor, corner King room, which was very clean and comfortable. Everyone was so helpful and nice. We highly recommend this hotel.

Hello SuzanneRC7,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your review! I’m glad that you took advantage of our comfortable and free airport shuttle. I’m very happy that you enjoyed your overall experience with us and I’m looking forward to welcome you back .

See you soon!

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed there while visiting Mount Vernon. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms are very small and the hotel in bad need of updating. Our room had three different unmatching sets of faucets in bath, one of which wasn't attached to the sink properly. The king size bed was made up of two single beds pushed together with a king mattress that didn't fit properly. There was mold in the bath shower which was partly hidden by poorly applied caulk. The price was good which I guess reflected the condition of our room. Can't say enough about the level of service of the staff - always friendly and helpful. Had breakfast at the hotel restaurant, which was very good.

Dear foodlover7752787,

I wanted to drop you a line and thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is often through direct customer feedback that we are able to see our opportunities to grow and I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.
Thank you for the kind words in regards to the staff and the high level of service you received.
We have a detailed inspection process in place and the shortcomings you experienced should have been detected and fixed prior to your arrival. I apologize that we did not do so and I like to ensure you that the issues have been addressed.
We are consistently working on upgrading our product by carefully preventing the historical feel and the charm of our beautiful Hotel. We are in the process of replacing the bathroom countertops and faucets that are not meeting our high standards. We replaced all carpets in the public space in November of 2012. We are nearly done with the replacement of all windows in the entire Hotel and many more projects are scheduled for the future. These facts are not an excuse for the shortcomings you experienced but I hope it shows you that we take guest feedback very seriously and that we are working very hard on continuing to be the place to stay in Old Town Alexandria.
Please contact me directly the next time you will be in the area and I will ensure that your next stay with us will be perfect.

Thank you again for your important feedback.

Dietzenbach, Hessen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

The hotel provides a nice atmosphere with its individually furnished cosy rooms. In the evening you can enjoy complementary wine. Staff is very friendly. Sign in to the Kimpton loyalty program upon arrival which gives you free wireless.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Hello cwalter65,

Thank you for choosing the Morrison House for your recent stay and for your kind words.
We hope to welcome you back soon.

Yours,

Charlottesville, Va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I just stayed at the Morrison House with my wife and friends and we had a great stay.
The Check in went smooth and the Front Desk staff was very friendly, we had our dog with us and they were very accommodation. We stayed in a Deluxe Queen room, it was well decorated, clean and had all the amenities one can need.
The amenity for our dog, was a nice little bag with a dog treat, a toy and waste bags.
what a lovely surprise, their minibar was well stocked and prices were reasonable, if you sign up for their loyalty program, you will receive a complementary wifi, and a $10 credit towards the mini bar. what a treat! Talk about Value added.
The only improvement I would like to see, would be in the breakfast food.
We had a good meal and service was good, however I ordered an omelette and the presentation of the plate fell a bit short.
There were 3 red roasted potatoes and that was it.
No greens or any garnishing on the plate. that is the only item that fell below our expectations, I also noticed no jams at the table.
besides that, what a great place, highly recommend, great location. Just a very charming hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear ViajanteX,

I like to take this opportunity to thank you for taken the time to write this review. I’m excited that you had a great stay and that you and your dog felt that our team was friendly and accommodating.
I’m glad that you took advantage of the $10 honor bar credit and that all members of our free Kimpton In Touch loyalty program receive. Thank you for the feedback on the breakfast food presentations. I shared your important feedback with our chef as it will help us to continue to improve our operations. We can’t wait to welcome you back and to nail all aspects of your stay including the breakfast.

Thanks again,

Tobias

Been to Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!