“As good as everyone said” 5 of 5 stars

Home for the Holidays
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Silver Spring, Maryland
“As good as everyone said”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Staff couldn't have been better. Room was not huge but very comfortable with comfy bathrobes and minibar. Sign up for the free Kimpton membership and you get free wifi and $10 free in minibar!! Make sure you don't pay for wifi in this way. Our only problem was a dog that had been left alone during a wedding. The poor animal was frantic and barking and crying loudly. However, a call to the front desk got immediate help. They must have called the owners to attend to the dog and the rest of the evening was quiet. We got help from staff on restaurants and directions. Breakfast in am was good but the eggwhite omelet was tiny. I was still hungry!
However, impeccable service (turndown, mint on pillow) and very, very classy hotel. I definitely would return.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear MargeBA,

Thank you very much for your great review. I really appreciate that you informed our front desk about the barking dog so we were able to contact the owner immediately. I’m sorry about any inconvenience this caused you but I’m glad. It is great to hear that you enjoyed all other aspects of your stay. Please let me know the next time you are planning to be in our area. Your next egg white omelet will be on me.

Tobias

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Gainesville, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

This is a very nice, small hotel in a wonderful location. They picked us up at the airport, which is a complimentary service. We had a top floor, corner King room, which was very clean and comfortable. Everyone was so helpful and nice. We highly recommend this hotel.

Hello SuzanneRC7,

Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your review! I’m glad that you took advantage of our comfortable and free airport shuttle. I’m very happy that you enjoyed your overall experience with us and I’m looking forward to welcome you back .

See you soon!

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed there while visiting Mount Vernon. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Rooms are very small and the hotel in bad need of updating. Our room had three different unmatching sets of faucets in bath, one of which wasn't attached to the sink properly. The king size bed was made up of two single beds pushed together with a king mattress that didn't fit properly. There was mold in the bath shower which was partly hidden by poorly applied caulk. The price was good which I guess reflected the condition of our room. Can't say enough about the level of service of the staff - always friendly and helpful. Had breakfast at the hotel restaurant, which was very good.

Dear foodlover7752787,

I wanted to drop you a line and thank you for taking the time to write this review. It is often through direct customer feedback that we are able to see our opportunities to grow and I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience.
Thank you for the kind words in regards to the staff and the high level of service you received.
We have a detailed inspection process in place and the shortcomings you experienced should have been detected and fixed prior to your arrival. I apologize that we did not do so and I like to ensure you that the issues have been addressed.
We are consistently working on upgrading our product by carefully preventing the historical feel and the charm of our beautiful Hotel. We are in the process of replacing the bathroom countertops and faucets that are not meeting our high standards. We replaced all carpets in the public space in November of 2012. We are nearly done with the replacement of all windows in the entire Hotel and many more projects are scheduled for the future. These facts are not an excuse for the shortcomings you experienced but I hope it shows you that we take guest feedback very seriously and that we are working very hard on continuing to be the place to stay in Old Town Alexandria.
Please contact me directly the next time you will be in the area and I will ensure that your next stay with us will be perfect.

Thank you again for your important feedback.

Dietzenbach, Hessen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

The hotel provides a nice atmosphere with its individually furnished cosy rooms. In the evening you can enjoy complementary wine. Staff is very friendly. Sign in to the Kimpton loyalty program upon arrival which gives you free wireless.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Hello cwalter65,

Thank you for choosing the Morrison House for your recent stay and for your kind words.
We hope to welcome you back soon.

Yours,

Charlottesville, Va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I just stayed at the Morrison House with my wife and friends and we had a great stay.
The Check in went smooth and the Front Desk staff was very friendly, we had our dog with us and they were very accommodation. We stayed in a Deluxe Queen room, it was well decorated, clean and had all the amenities one can need.
The amenity for our dog, was a nice little bag with a dog treat, a toy and waste bags.
what a lovely surprise, their minibar was well stocked and prices were reasonable, if you sign up for their loyalty program, you will receive a complementary wifi, and a $10 credit towards the mini bar. what a treat! Talk about Value added.
The only improvement I would like to see, would be in the breakfast food.
We had a good meal and service was good, however I ordered an omelette and the presentation of the plate fell a bit short.
There were 3 red roasted potatoes and that was it.
No greens or any garnishing on the plate. that is the only item that fell below our expectations, I also noticed no jams at the table.
besides that, what a great place, highly recommend, great location. Just a very charming hotel!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear ViajanteX,

I like to take this opportunity to thank you for taken the time to write this review. I’m excited that you had a great stay and that you and your dog felt that our team was friendly and accommodating.
I’m glad that you took advantage of the $10 honor bar credit and that all members of our free Kimpton In Touch loyalty program receive. Thank you for the feedback on the breakfast food presentations. I shared your important feedback with our chef as it will help us to continue to improve our operations. We can’t wait to welcome you back and to nail all aspects of your stay including the breakfast.

Thanks again,

Berwyn, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This place has it all in terms of service, amenities and fun. We arrived and were treated to complimentary wine in the front room which is beautifully furnished. There, we met some very interesting travelers and realized they all were repeat customers. Some, claimed that this was the ONLY place to stay in the Washington area. After two nites here we definitely agreed.

The restaurant has top notch food and we were surprised at how unhurried the waitstaff was even thought there were people waiting. If you decide not to eat here make sure you stop in for a nite cap to here the wonderful local talent sing along with the former white house pianist. That was a real treat...

Did I say the staff was terrific? Here's one reason why. I left my jewelry on the nite table but didn't realize it until a few days later. I immediately called and was reunited with my jewelry in less than 24 hours. Now that's service!

Thank you Morrison House for providing us with a wonderful weekend!

Room Tip: We had a room on the lower level and while quiet I think it would be nicer to stay in a higher floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear moose112,

Thank you for this wonderful review. The complimentary wine reception that we host each evening is a great way to socialize not only with the management team but also with other travelers. I’m glad that you took advantage of this Kimpton tradition. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant and it means a lot to our team to be called “terrific”. How nice to hear that we were able reunited your with your jewelry in such a timely fashion. Please come back to see us soon!

Cheers,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Exceptionally good service and amenity distinguish Morrison House.

From the moment we parked the car in front, help was present for valet parking and for carrying luggage. Check-in was both friendly and efficient. The room was exactly as requested: upper-floor, corner room, quiet location. Amenities are excellent: good furnishings including a small sofa in the room, nice toiletries in bathroom, a $10. credit for the mini-bar if a Klimpton member, and complimentary wine off the lobby between 5 and 6 pm.

I would choose Morrison House in Alexandria over the options in central DC -- this is a place with service, amenity, and a welcoming atmosphere.

Room Tip: For a quiet location, choose upper floor, and back of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear triptraveller,

I truly appreciate that a frequent traveler such as you takes the time to review our hotel.
I’m pleased that you enjoyed your recent experience and it is great to hear that you would choose that Morrison House in Alexandria over the options in central DC.
I hope to welcome you back soon,

Yours,

Tobias Arff

Been to Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!