“A Wonderful Experience” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Berwyn, PA
“A Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This place has it all in terms of service, amenities and fun. We arrived and were treated to complimentary wine in the front room which is beautifully furnished. There, we met some very interesting travelers and realized they all were repeat customers. Some, claimed that this was the ONLY place to stay in the Washington area. After two nites here we definitely agreed.

The restaurant has top notch food and we were surprised at how unhurried the waitstaff was even thought there were people waiting. If you decide not to eat here make sure you stop in for a nite cap to here the wonderful local talent sing along with the former white house pianist. That was a real treat...

Did I say the staff was terrific? Here's one reason why. I left my jewelry on the nite table but didn't realize it until a few days later. I immediately called and was reunited with my jewelry in less than 24 hours. Now that's service!

Thank you Morrison House for providing us with a wonderful weekend!

Room Tip: We had a room on the lower level and while quiet I think it would be nicer to stay in a higher floor
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear moose112,

Thank you for this wonderful review. The complimentary wine reception that we host each evening is a great way to socialize not only with the management team but also with other travelers. I’m glad that you took advantage of this Kimpton tradition. It is great to hear that you enjoyed our restaurant and it means a lot to our team to be called “terrific”. How nice to hear that we were able reunited your with your jewelry in such a timely fashion. Please come back to see us soon!

Cheers,

523 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

Exceptionally good service and amenity distinguish Morrison House.

From the moment we parked the car in front, help was present for valet parking and for carrying luggage. Check-in was both friendly and efficient. The room was exactly as requested: upper-floor, corner room, quiet location. Amenities are excellent: good furnishings including a small sofa in the room, nice toiletries in bathroom, a $10. credit for the mini-bar if a Klimpton member, and complimentary wine off the lobby between 5 and 6 pm.

I would choose Morrison House in Alexandria over the options in central DC -- this is a place with service, amenity, and a welcoming atmosphere.

Room Tip: For a quiet location, choose upper floor, and back of the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear triptraveller,

I truly appreciate that a frequent traveler such as you takes the time to review our hotel.
I’m pleased that you enjoyed your recent experience and it is great to hear that you would choose that Morrison House in Alexandria over the options in central DC.
I hope to welcome you back soon,

Yours,

Tobias Arff
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My wife and I decided to go with the elopement package at the Morrison House. The wedding turned out amazing and everyone had a great time. We planned the whole event in a few months and with the help of the Morrison House it went very smoothly. They are very busy with planning events so finding a date and getting in touch with the event staff can be hard at times.

They provide the venue, officiant, hotel rooms, food, live music, and flowers for the event. No need to find a caterer for a small wedding. You do get to pick a food menu, flowers and type of music. If you want more contemporary rock, I recommend Timmie Metz for a guitarist.

The hotel rooms a very comfortable and quiet. All the rooms have the same type of amenities, just laid out slightly different depending on location in hotel. Some rooms in the corners have great views of the Old Town Alexandria. The hotel is located in the center of Old Town and within steps of great restaurants and shops. Our guest enjoyed walking the streets of Old Town.

The front desk and waiters were excellent. They responded to every little request from our guest. They made sure everyone was comfortable. Our families were very pleased with the location. Everyone wants us to throw our first anniversary party at the hotel next year.

Room Tip: First floor rooms are below grade, so you have a small window looking into an alley way. Recommend r...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Craig S,

Congratulations on your marriage and thank you for choosing the Morrison House for your very special day.
It is great to hear that you event was a great success and that you and your guest enjoyed the Hotel and the beautiful city of Old Town Alexandria.
I wish you all the best for the future and please reach out to me directly if there is anything I can assist you with in the future.

Respectfully,

Southern US
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We actually stayed at this property in June 2012 but I still wanted to write a review. I found MH by reading a survey actually through Tripadvisor and it stated that MH was one of the top 25 hotels in the country for customer service. This property is very nice and very different from what I am used to in hotels. The area is very historic and very "in town". We were treated so nice and everyone was so very friendly to us(staff). We had a wonderful room and we even had a complimentary champagne delivered to our room that totally surprised us! The second best part of our stay was The Grille! Oh my goodness, this was a meal to remember! We had the dining space to ourselves as we dined fairly late but that was perfect for us. The meal we had was wonderful and the wine was perfect. We were adjacent to the piano bar and enjoyed the music while we dined. After our meal, we slipped into the bar which was standing room only. It was a sing along night and the crowd was very lively. We were also a good 20 years younger than any other patron in the bar! We were very entertained as we watched the older folk sing along. The only downpoint of the night was being obviously stared at and snidely talked about by an older, single lady. I just chalked this up to a more "snooty" crowd and a sad, lonely older lady. My dress wasn't as "sedate" as most of the crowd so if you go to this bar, be prepared to feel a bit snubbed by the locals! That being said, the hotel is wonderful and the Grille is amazing. I will always cherish this night and memory of the 2nd night of my honeymoon. Thank you so much Morrison House!!

Room Tip: We were on the front side 3rd floor and in the corner. Wonderful room!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear CBUCHAN,

Congratulations on your recent marriage! It sounds like your time with us was nearly perfect. Please accept my apologies for the behavior of the lonely old lady in the bar.
I appreciate your sense of humor and I like to thank you for taking the time to write this kind review.
We hope to welcome you back soon, possible for your 1st anniversary?

Tobias Arff
Southern Shores, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

We always stay here when we are in town. This hotel has it all; valet parking, dining room, bar, up-dated rooms,and a fantastic staff. The Piano Bar is always a "hoot"; lots of very talented locals on scene (Washington Opera). We love the location, the staff and the attention to detail.

Room Tip: All rooms are great.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear john b,

I like to take this opportunity to thank you for your kind words and for your loyalty to the Morrison House.
Your friends at the Morrison House are looking forward to welcome you back soon.

Yours,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2012

The property

A purpose built block just off the busy King Street in Alexandria. The entrance is a pretty double staircase with a fountain. The block is about 20 years or more old, and beginning to look a little worn around the edges, but not unpleasantly so. Well located with lots of little restaurants and cafes within a few minutes walk.

The room

I had a corner queen. About 120 square feet. Carpets quite thin and worn. A biggish TV (obscure controls) well placed in front of the bed. The windows opened, but the background roar of neighbouring aircon plant made doing this unpleasant. The room had no kettle (housekeeping did not even know what a kettle was, but sent a sort of drip coffee making machine which made my tea taste of old coffee). Free internet, but you have to sign up to Kimpton’s mailing list which triggers a deluge of irritating mails.

The bed

A good quality true double, but a bit tired (squeaking springs). Good cotton linens. Sleep quality was OK, if a bit stuffy because it is too noisy to open the windows.

The bathroom

Decent sized bathroom with a larger than average bath and shower over.

Ambient noise

Medium to high. No traffic noise, but constant loud mechanical noise from neighbouring aircon units.

Overall

At $200 for a night this felt like an OK deal to me. I was given a $10 minibar voucher at checkin, but bottled water is $10 a litre, making the good feeling go away pretty quickly.

Room Tip: Room 512 is a corner room which looks out over half a dozen "always on" aircon units in th...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Coltbridge,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. I have to admit that I’m a little bit disappointed that your experience was ok but not perfect.
It is very rare that we get feedback on the noise level at our hotel and I apologize for the inconvenience this might have caused you.
I’m very excited to share with you that we are in the process of replacing all windows in the hotel. Three out of our five floors have already been completed and this major project will continue to help us in our quest of providing the best night’s sleep in Old Town Alexandria.
The corner queen room you stayed in is 208 sq ft large while our King Deluxe rooms and deluxe suites are larger.
Please contact me directly if your travels bring you back into our area. I would like to personally assist you with your room assignment and I will ensure that your next stay with us will be perfect.

Thanks again for your important feedback and Happy Holidasys,

Washington State
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I spent Hurricane Sandy holed up in this hotel and it turned out to be my favorite hotel and experience of my entire trip, and not just because they never lost power!
I'd stayed at Westin and Renaissance before coming here and this one blew the others away. The front desk staff, the waiters, room service - all were top notch. It was honestly one of the classiest hotels I've ever stayed at. Location was great, in Old Town Alexandria, just off of King Street. I was really impressed how calm and courteous the employees were, though they must have been a little worried about their own homes and families with the storm approaching. I also know they were asked the same questions over & over, yet they always were patient and the most gracious hosts ever. They had taken all the precautions possible, they have a generator, they were out checking the storm drains and exterior. Prior to getting there I was worried about the storm and feeling really vulnerable, but they took all that worry away. I felt cared for.
The restaurant was great, especially the waiter at breakfast time! He must have been a British butler in a previous life!
The beds were great, the hotel was quiet. Amenities were top notch. They allow pets there and I never heard one nor did I encounter any tell-tale pet smells. They do everything well here!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear why_pack_light?,

Thank you very much for your awesome feedback. I’m glad that your enjoyed your recent experience with us. It means a lot to us that your stay at the Morrison House was your favorite of your entire trip.
It will be my pleasure to share your fantastic comments with my entire team and in particular with John our British breakfast server.

Happy Holidays,

Tobias

Been to Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!