“nice hotel and great location !” 5 of 5 stars

Upgrade Your Stay
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
canada
“nice hotel and great location !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

I came Alexandria last month with my family ! that was a great time. its not difficult for me to find this hotel on TripAdvisor. its really a nice hotel. Staff were friendly and helpful. The room was well delighted and are decorated elegently. The hotel is the first stop of my family. when i came there i felt welcomed. In my opinion this hotel has reasonably price for a good quality. It was located in the great place. i can get the best view of Alaxandria. Maybe i will return this hotel with my husband =))

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Dear emily s,

Thanks so much for your kind remarks -- they’ll be shared with our staff.
We can’t wait to welcome you back and please bring your husband!!!

Tobias Arff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Santa Fe, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

My husband and I look forward to coming to D.C. because of this hotel. From the minute you walk in the door we are wrapped in luxury. The people are the most Important part of this hotel. Our favorite person is Ahmed in the restaurant/bar area. My husband has known him for years and our mornings begin with his smiling face.

Dinner is always exceptional, along with breakfast which is fabulous. And the "Sing Alongs" one night a week, are a lot of fun.

The last two times we tried to make a reservation, we couldn't get a room. My favorite place is now being found out! Darn it.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Dear SantaFeDiva,

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for your kind words. It means a lot to us that you think that the people who work at the Morrison House are the most important part of the Hotel. I agree with you! I’m very lucky to have the pleasure to work with amazing people such as Ahmed who was part of the opening team in 1985 and has been an important member of our team ever since. Please feel free to contact me directly the next time you are trying to stay with us. I like the fact that more people are finding out about our Hotel and I might be able to assist you with your next reservation.

Hope to welcome you back soon,

Arlington, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012

We were somewhat disappointed with our room and the overall experience of the Morrison House. We ordered the delux king room and it was anything but delux. You couldn't open the door with a suitcase the room was so small. The bathroom was tiny and outdated. When we mentioned it to the front dest they basically said they didn't care that we were unhappy. There was hardly any water pressure. The lobby is beautiful but tiny and fills to capacity frequently. They also book it for events so there is no lobby available for guests. When we asked to check out early they would only return 50% for our last night. Breakfast was slow so don't go to their restaurant if you are in a hurry. I would not recommend this for a couples get away. Alexandria is wonderful! Tons of great places to eat, shop and tour.

Room Tip: Delux King is too small for a king bed.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 5, 2012
Dear arw2001,

I’m sorry that you recent experience was not to your full satisfaction. Even though we only have three different room types at our hotel the layout of many of them is quite different. I’m disappointed that you were not satisfied with your room assignment and I would appreciate the opportunity to learn a little bit more about your experience. I noticed that you life in close proximity to our Hotel and I hope to get the opportunity to assist you with any future reservations. Please contact me at the Hotel at 703.838.800. I would like to personally take care of your rooms assignment and any special needs your might have upon your return.

Respectfully,

New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2011

Drove right passed it on the first try. The side-street location was difficult to find. The staff was wonderful--expected at a Kimpton property. The only downsides were the over-furnished rooms. My hotel room had very little room to maneuver. The antique (I think) bedframe was about 6 inches larger than the mattress on all sides. Getting in and out of bed was a challenge. The meeting rooms were nice but again difficult to navigate. The piano bar was a riot!

Hotel was close to shops and restaurants. Jogging distance to the river and farmers market. Offsite fitness center was a drawback. Thank heavens there was another Kimpton nearby.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Dear OutWanderin,

Thank you for your review. I’m glad that you found our staff to be wonderful and that you got the chance to experience the unique feel of our piano bar. The size of our property and the fact that we are a true boutique property unfortunately does not allow us to have a fitness center on property. I’m glad that it sounds like you were able to use the fitness center and the pool of our sister that is only a few blocks, a short walk, away from our Hotel. Every guest that stays with us has free access to the facilities by simply presenting the Morrison House room key to the front desk.
Thank you again for your important feedback!

San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

Excellent hotel with exceptional customer service. The only reason that I don't give this hotel 5 stars is the housekeeping. They woke me up pounding at the door even though my "Do Not Disturb" sign was hanging on the door. Even after trying her key and it was double locked she continued to pound and yell "housekeeping". I finally had to tell her about the "Do Not Disturb sign" that was hanging right on the doorknob. All she said was "Oh". I had only 3 hours of sleep the night before and was So looking forward to a good nights sleep. This definitely wrecked that hope. This is also my biggest pet peeve in hotels. Who does housekeeping think the "Do Not Disturb" sign is for??? Once I fell back asleep after sometime, I then got woken up by housekeeping vacuuming loudly all around me. The doors to this hotel don't seal tightly. You can see light coming in from all around the door, so noise is prevalent. But the only annoying noise came from the mention above.
Other than that, everything else was exceptional. There was homemade cookies on my bed when I arrived. Later that night at the turn down service, there were chocolates on the bed and a personalized note from the customer service manager welcoming me to hotel. Robes in the closet, Aveda amenities and two sinks in the bathroom. The mini bar was big enough to accommodate my personal food I might need to keep cold. The intimate lobby area was beautifully decorated for Christmas. There was coffee and tea available in the morning and a free happy hour with wine and cheese and crackers.
The hotel provides a free shuttle to and from National airport. There is a free shuttle to the metro. The hotel is right off of King Street which has many cute shops and lots of restaurants. Some even serving to very late. The city bus is also right out the door too.
I am a flight attendant and have stayed at many hotels and this is by far one of the best!

Room Tip: If you want to sleep in have them make sure that housekeeping doesn't bother you!
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2011
Dear skytravelgal,

I wanted to take a moment to thank you for the many great comments about your recent experience with us. It means a lot to us that your stay was “by far one of the best”, especially coming from a frequent traveler like you.
I’m however very disappointed that we did not honor your do not disturbed sign and that you were disturbed by vacuum noise. Our housekeeping team is very experienced and works at the Morrison House for many years. It bothers me that we did not follow such an easy task as honoring your do not disturb sign and I like to ensure you that this was an isolated incident. I We will use your experience as a learning tool and as a refresher for our team at our next housekeeping department meeting. Please contact me directly if there is anything I can assist you with in the future.

Pasadena, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2011

My wife wanted a hotel in the middle of old-town Alexandria - I got lucky and found this one. 1/2 block off of King on Alfred. There was one on King a block down, but I think this one was better. We spent 3 days walking around Alexandria and this hotel was in the perfect location. Staff was very helpful. The only negative I had was the parking, you have to pull up in the alley in front of the Hotel (actually not bad), which unfortunately seemed to always have one or more cars/trucks in it.
Evening cocktail hour was great - rooms nice. If you just want to park your car and see Alexandria, this is the place for you.

Dear 1goofybird,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your three day stay at the Morrison House. I’m glad that you enjoyed our location and that you found our team to be very helpful. I apologize if your valet parking experience was not as flawless as it could have been. Our garage is operated and managed by us and our butlers are usually always present to assist all guests immediately with their parking needs. I hope to get the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Respectfully,

Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

Beautiful small hotel in Old Town Alexandria. Service is beyond even the pickiest traveler's expectation. I have stayed there for years and every room is unique, comfortable and well furnished. The beds are all very comfortable and the furnishings are old school stylish. The Hotel is very well located for short walking tours of Old Town Alexandria. The bar and restaurant in the Hotel are worth the trip by themselves. I cannot possibly rate this hotel any higher, my wife and I go there every year for her birthday.

Room Tip: Try and get a corner room.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 16, 2011
Dear PCreasy,

I like to take a moment to thank you for the loyalty you have shown the Morrison House over years. We are fortunate to have guests like you who choose the Morrison House for their home away from home when they travel to the DC area. It makes me proud that a long time loyal customer like you describes our service as “beyond even the pickiest traveler's expectation”
Have you ever suggested to your wife to take you to the Morrison House for your birthday :-)?
We can’t wait to welcome you back!

Happy Holidays,

Tobias

Been to Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!