“Excellent Service - Beautiful Bridal Shower” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
New York City, New York
“Excellent Service - Beautiful Bridal Shower”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

I held a bridal shower here for about 18 people. We had a tea luncheon -- the shower was truly beautiful thanks to the service (impeccable and so nice that people mentioned it at the event), food (absolutely top notch, coming from a Manhattanite), and location (elegant and classy). I highly recommend holding an event here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

If you're travelling on business with a company credit card or you're wealthy, then this hotel is a nice choice.

Pros:
- excellent customer service (there are only 45 rooms so the staff quickly learns you by name).
- right in the center of old town - plenty of shops, resturants within a 5 min walk.
- very quiet neighborhood and floors.

Cons:
- quite expensive food/parking (and street parking isn't a viable option as it's metered parking with only a 2hr max)
- Must give 3 day notice if you're going to change your reservation in any way.
- fees for *everything* (ie - internet, printing)

Overall, I was impressed by the cleanliness of the grounds and how friendly everyone was. The food is gourmet but you'll want to get out and explore the neighborhood. If circumstances permit, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Not a hotel for the budget-minded but very nice!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

I stayed at the lovely little Morrison House while visiting my son. From the moment we arrived I was treated like royalty. Everyone was soon nice and did everything they could to help my. I will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011
Kabul
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2011

Had five days to relax prior to deploying for Afghanistan. Could not have been happier with the Morrison House. It was in the perfect location to explore and relax in Old Town. The staff could not have been more friendly, particularly Jose the concierge - he was outstanding. The evening happy hour was a nice bonus.
The "Grille" - bar and restaurant was fun. Food was excellent - the highlight however were the local singers who gather round the piano Thurs - Sat.
Overall a wonderful stay. Would recommend this hotel highly.

Room Tip: ask for a higher level room - away from the roadside.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Charleston, WV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

Stayed at Kimpton properties before and wanted to try this property in Alexandria. Will be back. Impressed with property location, services provided and experience. Recommend the intimate bar--ask Rosen to make you a You Know What--and the nicely appointed rooms. Not large but comfortable and quiet. If you are visiting Alexandria or the DC area, are looking for a nice play to stay "out of the way", or especially if you are taking a leisurely trip to Old Town Alexandria, you owe yourself a stay at the Morrison.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2011

I spent several days on business in Alexandria and chose the Morrison House because of my experience with other Klimpton properties. I was very pleased with my stay - especially with the courtesy of the staff - unfailingly cheerful, helpful, and professional. The room was ample and furnished tastefully in period pieces. The bathroom was very modern and comfortable. The hotel is located in the heart of Alexandria. A wide variety of restaurants, pubs, shops, and historic sites are within easy walking distance. I didn't dine in the hotel, but the menus were very appealing. The evening "sing-along" was a pleasant way to relax. I plan to stay there again on my next trip.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

I had the pleasure of visiting the Hotel Morrison on our way up the east coast and on our way back home in August of 2010. The hotel entrance is a bit hard to find if you are taking your own car, the main entrance is not clearly marked. So ask exactly where it is before arriving. And there is not a bellman/valet waiting outside, but the gentleman was very polite when we found him inside. I am a Kimpton rewards member, we have stayed all over the US. The front desk manager asked to upgraded us to a lovely junior suite, it was greatly appreciated. The rooms are a bit tired, but they seem to keep them very clean. We were also given a lovely fruit plate upon our arrival.

On our way back home our stay was completely different. We assumed that we would be treated in the same fashion that we were treated on our way up the coast, this was not the case. The desk clerk that checked us in was different and did not have the room we reserved, I had to share a bed with my mother. The man that took our bags down in the morning was simply awful, completely different than the polite man that took our bags up to the room. The room was dirty and musty. When we finally checked out at 6am the women at the front desk could not figure out how to take the complete charge off the credit card and let me pay in cash. This went on for 45 minutes and she phoned another Kimpton for instructions 3 times. This was simply maddening. When we got home we phoned the GM and he never called back he eventually sent an email.

Ultimately it is a lovely boutique hotel in the heart of Alexandria. But, it has to be very careful to keep it's level of quality up, not just try to pass as many people through the front doors as possible.

Room Tip: Join the Kimpton Rewards Program
  • Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
morrison_house, General Manager at Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 23, 2011
Dear ColoradoSnowTraveler,

I’m very sorry that your recent experience did not meet the high standards we are known for. I’m concerned about some of the comments you made and I hope to get the opportunity to get some more details from you. All of our butlers have been part of the Morrison House team for many years and they are the most polite and caring individuals I have ever worked with. I’m surprised you mentioned that you reached out to me and that I never returned your call. The hospitality business is my passion and the satisfaction of my guests is most important to me. I would never waste the opportunity to follow up with a guest, especially if their expectations did not meet their or my high standards.
Please contact me at tobias.arff@morrisonhouse.com or via phone at 703.894.6342 so I can get some more details about your experience.

Respectfully,

Tobias Arff

Been to Morrison House, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!