“Great place to stay in Old Town Alexandria, VA” 5 of 5 stars

Upgrade Your Stay
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Montgomery, Alabama
“Great place to stay in Old Town Alexandria, VA”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

My wife and I have stayed at the Hotel Monaco on five different trips to Alexandria. It is close to where our daughter and son-in-law live. It is right in the middle of Old Town Alexandria on King Street, close to several restaurants, historical sights and the waterfront (Potomac River). The staff has always made us feel very welcomed and we have thoroughly enjoyed staying in this hotel. We flew into Reagan National on our first four trips. The Hotel Monaco has a free shuttle service to/from the airport. On our last trip, we drove and carrried our dog. It worked out great for us. We saw several dogs at the hotel. They were all well-behaved and we did not hear any barking while we were in our room other than a couple of times our dog barked. I recommend joining Kimpton In Touch. We were able to take advantage of a very attractive room rate offerred to In Touch members plus we received some additional special credits upon check in. We'll be back!!!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
Springfield, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2010

We arrived at midnight due to Thanksgiving travel, and we were greeted by a full staff of friendly and courtesy professionals. We were traveling with two children and two dogs, who were welcomed with a Thanksgiving book, "Pardon That Turkey" and dog biscuits -- in respective order. The next day breakfast at their restaurant, Jackson 20, was delicious! Our group of eight was seated at an elegant marble table and I had the eggs and Chesapeake crab...yum! After breakfast the cousins went for a swim as the adults relaxed by the pool in the hotel's overstuffed lounge chairs. Finally, the lobby is a real gathering place, like holidays of yesteryear, when people would gather in front of the fire and laugh and share stories. I highly recommend Hotel Monaco Alexandria for its chic atmosphere but down-to-earth hospitality -- in the center of historic Old Town.

Note: We also dined at their sister hotel, The Morrison House, which was a very special occasion for a family gathering of 12.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
Monaco-Alexandria, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2010
Dear historictravels,

Thank you for your feedback! We're thrilled that you enjoyed your holiday with us. I also appreciate your comments about our 'Living Room'. We want as many guests as possible to treat our lobby like their home, that's why we have the afternoon Wii and Wine Hour each day. Thank you again and we hope to see you soon.

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

The Monaco Hotel consistently delivers a first class experience right down to the smallest detail. I planned a surprise birthday stay for my sweetheart prior to her travel to Europe. From the moment of arrival as the bellman enthusiastically greeted her with smiling birthday tidings, to the moment of our departure, it was the most wonderful experience in every detail. The “icing on the cake” was when the General Manager Robert Hannigan called the room himself and he and the entire housekeeping staff sang Happy Birthday to my sweetheart. How special is that? The entire staff is a class act, not to mention the pristine condition of the hotel! The spacious and immaculate white marble bathrooms and the luscious bed were features to dream about. This hotel room was one of the nicest and cleanest we have ever stayed in and we are (4 and 5 star hotel) world travelers so this says a lot of the quality of the Alexandria Monaco. One of the great surprises upon entering the room was "Angel," a multicolored goldfish! It truly felt like home. I must say though, that as beautiful as the hotel is, the level of customer service provided by Mr. Hannigan and his staff was even higher quality.

The 5:00 PM wine tasting with hors d’oeuvres in the lobby was also a real treat! We met fellow travelers in the "living room" like lobby with many cozy furniture settings. As an architect, I was particularly struck by the beautiful interiors. Our dinner at the hotel restaurant, Jackson 20, was wonderful as well. The ribeye steaks, along with the scalloped potatoes, were some of the best we've ever had! And the complimentary champagne, on the occasion of the birthday, was a thoughtful touch by hotel staff. I highly recommend eating in this hotel restaurant, Jackson 20. You will be very glad you did!

I was so impressed with the Hotel Monaco during our first stay that I wanted to treat my sweetheart to another visit upon her return from traveling abroad. Once again, we were greeted enthusiastically by name when we pulled up to the valet parking. This visit, we stayed in one of Hotel Monaco's two-level suites! I was unaware that such a hotel room existed! We were delightfully surprised when entering the room, that there was a stairway to a mezzanine level! The bedroom overlooked the suite below. The suite was elegant, yet homelike. Similar to our first stay, every interior design detail was impressive and the room was immaculately cleaned. Again, we enjoyed another exceptional meal at the hotel's Jackson 20 restaurant before retiring for the evening. It was yet another impressive and beautiful stay at the Hotel Monaco!

My Sweetheart and I have concluded that we have found our "new" favorite hotel and we have already booked a room to spend the entire upcoming New Year weekend!!! The Monaco location in Old Town Alexandria is close to the water, shopping, restaurants and bars and is located in the middle of the excitement of this historic district.

General Manager, Robert Hannigan consistently goes above and beyond; assuring his guests an incredible experience each and every time! As a locally based architect, I will recommend the Monaco Hotel to all my clients with confidence, knowing that their experience will be exceptional each and every time.

Dear 1rktect,

Thank you! We truly value your feedback and are thrilled that you trust us for such important milestones in your life. We hope to see you back soon; Angel the goldfish will be waiting!

Louisville, KY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

This was the most accommodating hotel I have ever been in. Every request was met with - yes or absolutely. All the staff were very friendly and the hotel was beautiful with lots of nice extra special touches. The bed was very comfortable and I found our stay to be very peaceful. Great for dog lovers. Good coffe in the mornings. The restaurant next door was also excellent - especially the crab cakes. And of course Alexandria Old Towne is full of fun things to do. Just walking around is a delight for the eyes, but the shopping, food and atmosphere is wonderful. I can't wait to go back.

Fredericksburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2010

I am a seasoned business traveler (U.S. primarily), and I couldn't possibly do the Hotel Monaco Alexandria justice, so you should just check it out for yourself. Every single member of the staff genuinely seems to find joy in exceeding guests' expectations, (they certainly did mine on my recent stay), the hotel is beautiful and unique, and the location is perfect---in the heart of King Street, within walking distance of countless restaurants, bars, cute boutiques, and big-box stores. The hotel's restaurant and bar is outstanding too, especially if you like comfort food with a slightly southern flair. Mmmmmmm. Also worth noting is at 5 PM each day they have a free "hosted wine hour" in the beautiful "living room" of the hotel (the lobby, which is gorgeous).

It had been a long day of business travel, so things started off with a bang upon check-in when Michael, manager-on-duty-extraordinaire, told me he noticed on my Kimpton InTouch profile (their loyalty rewards program, which I think is one of the best out there) that I love music and then handed me an elegantly wrapped iTunes gift card (OMG, I don't even care how much the card is worth, I love this place). Then--and I don't know if it was the look of pleasant surprise on my face, or my simple but heart-felt thank you, or if it's just the way the Hotel Monaco rolls--Michael proceeds to tell me I was being upgraded to a suite (the room and its furnnishings are luxe, super-cool decor, simmer switches on every single light in the place, which is a small, but really nice touch, the bathroom was ridiculous--huge, white marble from floor to ceiling, big jacuzzi tub, glassed-in shower, Aveda toiletries--my favorite!-- and the room looked brand-spanking new it was so clean.) The leopard print robe in the closet was too fun to resist putting on. Then, after just a few minutes of settling into my suite, there is a knock at my door. It's another smiling staff person delivering a hand-written note from the General Manager saying that she noticed on my InTouch profile that I liked champagne, so please, enjoy this bottle from your friends at the Hotel Monaco. (Seriously, I couldn't possibly feel more spoiled.....could I please live here?)

There isn't one single thing about my stay that could have been improved upon. I've never had a more enjoyable hotel experience, not even at a Four Seasons--and I haven't even mentioned the price, which you wouldn't believe if I told you, especially given the level of service and the beauty, quality and location of the hotel. Full disclosure, I am a goverment employee, and Kimpton offers a government rate which is pretty much unbeatable, but they always have really good deals/packages available at all their hotels, some of which haven't been much more than the government rate

The Hotel Monaco Alexandria is part of the Kimpton hotel chain, and although this property is probably my very favorite of that chain (I've stayed at about 10 different Kimpton properties, some more than once--www.kimptonhotels.com), I have received exquisite service at each place I've stayed, and there is absolutely nothing "run of the mill" or predictable about any of the Kimpton hotels. They are really onto something with how they go about creating an enjoyable, memorable experience for guests, and the Hotel Monaco Alexandria is a shining example of the Kimpton philosophy. You won't regret chosing this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Dear DonnaGrayMejia,

Thank you for your feedback about your most recent stay with us. We truly appreciate the time you took to let us know how we're doing. Thank you as well for your comments about our Front Desk Manager Michael; he's a very special person and one we consider crucial to our success. Come back and see us soon; we'll be waiting to welcome you back!

alexandria va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2010

From the moment we checked-in until check out we felt special. We had our son with us and front desk knowing our purpose of our stay went above and beyond to accomodate all our needs. We checked in to our room to find pool toys for our son which he loved and the room was right across the pool as well. Thank you to front desk and everyone that made it special. Melvin who wrote a hand written welcome letter and Kate who went to all the trouble to help us out. You will not go wrong with this Hotel and I have been recommending this to everyone I know. Great location and great price

Rockville
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2010

First time we ever stayed in a luxury hotel that allows barking dogs. We did call down to the front desk once about it, then we sort of gave up and got used to it. But it's not what we'd expect from such a fancy place. Also, they charge $24 a night for parking! And $10 a night for wi-fi. It's right in the heart of Old Town Alexandria, but there are other hotels in the area.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Monaco-Alexandria, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2010
Dear DnD27,

We do love dogs, but not when they impact our guest in such a negative manner! I'd like to apologize the the issue you encountered during your recent stay. We certainly should have asked the dog's owner to get more involved, or taken other actions to make you comfortable. We would never want anyone to have to get used to something that caused them frustration. I assure you that we'll use your feedback as a training tool for our team on the importance of remaining proactive.

Regarding the parking, we've made sure that our rates are competitive with the other hotels in the area and actually charge less than some of them right here on King Street. We also have rates that include parking, you can click on the link at the top of this page and book it right from here.

I hope you give us a chance in the future and if you do, please contact me and I'll be happy to do what I can to welcome you back. Don't forget if you stay with us as a Kimpton InTouch member, Wi-Fi is always free. We're happy to do anything we can to make the Monaco Alexandria your favorite hotel.

Hotel Monaco Alexandria - a Kimpton Hotel

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!