“Nice Upgrade to an Already Nice Property” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast for $1
Ranked #6 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, GA
“Nice Upgrade to an Already Nice Property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2010

I have stayed here many times when it was a Holiday Inn, and even then it was a nice hotel with an unbeatable location in Old Town Alexandria. If you haven't been to Old Town before, keep in mind that, unlike the Hotel Monaco, most hotels which advertise being in "Old Town" are a long way from the center of activity along the Potomac River. The facility has been totally re-done and re-branded and the results are impressive. It is very chic and comfortable and the staff, as before, is very helpful and responsive. Room service food is excellent. Price is very reasonable for this market at this quality level. Will continue to be my first choice when visiting the D.C. area. Only 10-15 minutes from Reagan Airport.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business

1,064 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Palm Bay, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2010

I recently stayed at this hotel for my Corporate Supply Chain Conference. I was a little nervous after reading the reviews from July complaining about the temperature in the hotel due to issues with the AC. They obviously took care of the problem because I was able to get my room very cold to sleep at night with no issue. The only issue with temperature that I observed was in the hallways/elevators which were a little warmer than one would have expected but still not bad. I stayed on the sixth floor and there was a hole in the ceiling in front of the elevator area with a bucket on the floor where they looked like they had water damage (related to the AC?) that was a little unsightly and was there for the three days which is my reason for downgrading the cleanliness. Besides that, it was a very nice property. I really liked the decoration style of the property.

I had never stayed at a Kimpton and was concerned that the dog-friendly property might smell of dog-dander, etc. but it was no problem at all. One of the afternoons when it wasn't raining, there were about 30+ dogs in the courtyard area. I also shared an elevator ride down with 2 large dogs and 3 other people which was a first for me :-).
The room was very nice and the bed was very comfortable. I especially liked that the lighting was able to be dimmed for several of the lights. The bathroom was very functional. I liked the eclectic room decorations. The room also had a nice flat screen, clock radio with IPOD dock, and even an in-room safe.

We had 90+ people staying for our three conference. We used their large conference room for three days and it was very nice. The chairs were comfortable which is paramount when you have to sit for a long time - something that some other hotels where we have had conferences have not had. We had breakfast and lunch, buffet style, in adjacent conference room each day and it was pretty good. We had our dinner off-property so I cannot comment on the in-house restaurant Jackson 20.

One other piece of advice is to join the Kimpton frequent rewards program. This will give you free wireless in your room (although not in the meeting room which was a little frustrating) and 'Raid the Honor Bar' which allows for you to get 2 items up to $10 total value out of the honor bar for free which was a nice perk.

The property had a nice location and convenient for walking to other places in Old Town. When my wife return next spring to due Washington, DC over my wife's spring break (she is a teacher), we might stay at this property and take the metro into DC for the sights.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
Monaco-Alexandria, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2010
Dear Rhino2525,

On behalf of the Monaco Alexandria I wanted to write and thank you for your feedback about your recent experience with us. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay, particularly with your concerns regarding recent reviews from the excessive temperatures we've had. I wanted to assure you that we're continuing to address any issues to ensure the comfort of our guests. This year's extreme temperatures had taxed areas of our system, but we've been working hard to make sure that we're ready to respond to future heat waves. I also appreciate your feedback regarding the leak on the 6th floor ceiling and am happy to let you know it's been completely corrected. The delay in sealing the ceiling was to ensure that the area was completely dry before we closed it back up. It's now completely repaired.

I'm glad you had a chance to visit our famous Doggie Happy Hour. It's a signature event at our property and also a very much loved community tradition. It should not be missed! Like all Kimpton Hotels, the Monaco Alexandria is a pet friendly environment and we work hard to ensure that our cleanliness is not impacted at all by so many of our four legged friends.

Thank you again for your feedback and I hope we see you back soon.

Robert
Hotel Monaco Alexandria - a Kimpton Hotel
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2010

I LOVED the deep bath tub. The decor was boutique-style, very central to all of Alexandria.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

Another hit with the Kimpton hotels. Jackson restaurant in hotel was also excellent.

• Stayed August 2009
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

What a beautiful room. We truly enjoyed our stay at the Monaco. The room was huge. the beds and bathroom were very well appointed. The staff was very pleasant. The pool had a lifeguard and shows kids movies at 8pm. That was cool.
The locaiton was fabulous. Very quiet at night with a ton of restaurants and shopping. It felt very very safe. There were people everywhere.
There is a free trolly that goes up and down the street which will take u to the metro.

The only issue is that they wouldn't cash a travellers check. Kind of surprised me but it wasn't a huge issue.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
State College, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

Excellent experience all around. You can't beat the location in the heart of Old Town Alexandria. I was pleasantly surprised at the AAA rate I was able to get for may stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
NA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

In an effort to remain objective I will give the pros first. The hotel has a lot going for it, as I have seen it and stayed there on several occasions before the renovations.

Pros: Hotel is very swank and sexy. I was a bit nervous about the eclectic choices for decor before arriving, but they pull it off well. Really well in fact. Even the pool in the evening is sexy and has attractive lighting arrangements. The room was immaculate pictures do not do it justice. The cocktail hour in the lobby was very welcoming and inviting and the sangria was great. The adjacent restaurant Jackson 20 is adequate and provided a pretty decent breakfast. And the location is great, on Saturday we walked right from the restaurant to a wonderful farmers market.

Now the bad: Front desk staff is horrible. Probably the worst I've ever experienced at any hotel at any price level, and I travel alot. It was not so much as they are rude, but more like indifferent. Most staffing problems could be isolated to one or two individuals but the whole staff was guilty. Again they were not rude, just not friendly nor hospitable. Certainly not to the level you would expect in a boutique hotel, its like they try to get customers out of their face as quickly as possible. I set my expectations pretty low because I can understand that people have bad days, but everyone?

I try to not be "that" customer because I was on vacation and didn't want to be too demanding, but I only had very simple requests. And the staff was incompetent on a level I hadn't experienced before. The first incident was that my rewards were not added to the reservation, even though I called on 3 occasions at various intervals to make sure it was taken care of beforehand as I don't like to hassle after arrival. Not only was it not added, but it was actually disputed at check in. Kimpton Intouch rewards provides newspaper service, mini bar privileges and points accrual. No biggie I thought, just get it right. The thing I'm most upset about is that THEY DOUBLE CHARGE YOUR CREDIT CARD AND ADD EXTRA CHARGES AFTER YOUR STAY. I should have took heed of prior reviews but figured the past reviewer's situation was a fluke. It wasn't, as the front desk staff is incompetent. Despite me calling weeks ahead and prepaying the room and explaining this and getting assurance from Deidre and Elisabeth at check in, it still happened. But the cherry on top of my aggravation was the fact that the hotel added extra charges after check in. I called the hotel and spoke to the Manager on duty who assured me this would be resolved, but the bigger question is why it happened. I also found it odd that they do not furnish printed folios which I questioned because I have never seen that at any other hotel. I was assured this was because it was "prepaid" and had a zero balance. Anywho, Buyer Beware it was not just me that had an experience like these. And on that note I could not personally recommend this hotel until I get a resolution to the said problems.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Monaco-Alexandria, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2010
Dear JosephRush,

Thank you for your feedback and our apologies once again for the issue. Our team has informed me that the authorization on the card has been released. I hope it wasn't too impactful to you. We're discussing the issue as a team to find out where we had the challenge. I assure you it will be addressed as a learning moment, but apologize once again that it came too late to assist you.

Regarding the lack of printed folios, as we recently became a Green Seal (Silver) rated property, it's a practice to no longer automatically print receipts unless specifically requested. All Kimpton Hotels are currently undergoing Green Seal certification and will adopt the practice of not automatically printing invoices.

I hope the challenges you had during your stay keep you from joining us again in the future. I would sincerely enjoy the chance to speak with you directly, to both apologize again as well as continue to work to win your trust back in our hotel. Feel free in calling the hotel directly and asking for me.

Robert
Hotel Monaco Alexandria - a Kimpton Hotel

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!