“Awesome” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Newport News, Virginia
“Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

Loved staying at this nice hotel. Loved doggie happy hour (Tues and Thurs). It's great to see an upscale hotel be pet friendly. Would stay here often.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (317)
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

Hotel Monaco Alexandria served as " home base" for our daughter’s wedding. Many of our guests stayed there several days while in town for the wedding. We had several receptions there, and we rented rooms for the bridal party to stay there and get ready before the wedding. The actual wedding was at a different location, GW River Farm. As a result, we had to coordinate many logistics so the day would go smoothly. The hotel staff and service was amazing & could not do enough for us. The food was superb. The rooms are large and beautiful. All our guests were so happy with their accommodations. The place is completely modern with any amenity you might need. Being in the heart of Old Town was a great plus for our guests. The photographer took many of the bridal party photos inside the lobby as it is so lovely. Many of the guests went back to the hotel to continue the celebration after the wedding and from all accounts they had a wonderful time. We are so glad we chose Hotel Monaco – it added so much the wedding weekend.

• Stayed July 2010
Monaco-Alexandria, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 10, 2010
Dear Gail36,

Thank you for your feedback, we're thrilled your daughter's wedding met your expectations! We're also particularly grateful for your trusting us with such a family milestone. I also appreciate your feedback about our team and agree they're a very special part of our success. Thank you again, and we hope to see you for your daughter and new son in law's First Anniversary.

Robert
Hotel Monaco Alexandria - a Kimpton Hotel
Dayton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

I travel to Washington DC with some regularity and usually stay in Crystal City at one of the large chain hotels. I pick my hotels a lot of time by how much I like their rewards program. This trip I was asked to stay in Alexandria at the Monaco and was a bit reluctant to do so as I'd never stayed here before. But I followed the request and booked my stay.

The reservations phone call was very quick, easy and courteous. The operator quickly got my booking done and I was off the phone. The emailed reservation came promptly.

The hotel is a quick cab ride from the air port and I was there earlier than I had expected. The front desk staff were great, didn't give me a bunch of problems about checking in an hour and a half early and had me in my room very promptly. Very nice front desk folks by the way.

The room was my next surprise. Very, very well done. Very clean, the furnishing were nice. I was a little surprised that there wasn't a coffee maker in the room, or at least one I could find.

I only stayed one night, had to leave early the next day for an appointment, but the staff gladly stored my suitcase for me while I was gone. I took the hotel shuttle back to the air port and was delivered by a very nice driver who didn't drive like an idiot.

I'm not a good review writer. Suffice it to say that I am going back to DC in August and this time I chose to stay at the Monaco. For me that's all I need to know is someone will go back.

Some of the neat stuff was the fact that dogs are apparently not just allowed here but they appear to be loved.The lobby had several well behaved dogs and as a dog lover it was nice to be able to get in a quick dog petting. They also appeared to have a nice wine reception, though i didn't get to particpate because I had to catch my outbound flight.
I recommend this hotel and will continue to stay here. I don't know much about their rewards program, but I get enough stays in at the other chain places it doesn't matter if I go to the Monaco every now and then. The big places have frankly gotten a bit too big for their britches and aren't as concerned with customer service as Monaco appears to be.

There are plenty of really good restaurants within minutes walking distance too. A nice Irish pub is just across and down a bit from the hotel. Looked like President Reagan liked the pub as well based on the photos of him inside. Prices were good and food was great. Thats the only place I ate at but there were plenty of others.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

Stayed at Hotel Monaco. Hotel was great until I discovered they had taken $375 from my account without my permission. I complained at the front desk and they said that finance department would call me. I left my number and asked the manager to call me. There was no call. I called back to the hotel and got a rude person on the front desk, who did not understand anything about the inconvience caused to me. I asked to speak to a manager. and spoke to one briefly who put me through to finance. I explained before I was put through that I still wanted the issue of inconvenience addresed. The finance department dealt with the issue quickly and I suspect this is not the first time this had happened. A manager never called me back so I called back and left another message to call me back. Never got a call back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Monaco-Alexandria, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 3, 2010
Dear Nomolos,

I wanted to reach out to you to both apologize for the frustration and also ensure that you've had closure on the issue you encountered during your stay. Please reach out to me directly if I can provide any assistance to you in making sure the hold on your account has been released.

Robert
Hotel Monaco Alexandria
Lyons, GA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

The stay at Hotel Monaco was wonderful. The rooms were spacious and clean. It is eleven blocks to the metro station and the walk is lined with shops of all sorts. Saw something different everytime we made the walk. Desk was helpful and answered our questions on how to get around and where to go. King street is amazing looked like it was straight off the storybook pages, lots of history. Did not eat at Jackson 20 but the street has possibly every type of restaurant imaginable. Can't remember the doormen
's names there were several but they were there to greet you coming and going. We had our poodle with us and she was greeted with treats and a warm welcome. This was a once in a lifetime trip to see DC for me and the staff did everything to make it just that. If I was to return this would be my choice. Pool was great, hotel was clean, staff professional and friendly.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Glen Ridge, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

This was our first stay at a Kimpton hotel and it was pure heaven. After doing a lot of research on hotels in the area I discovered the Kimpton brand and found Hotel Monaco in our price range. Also, being a fan of boutique hotels, Hotel Monaco had the funky, artsy, atmosphere that made us feel at home. My kids enjoyed the Double-Double Bed room, the pool, the free goldfish, comfy beds and the mini bar!!! My husband and I appreciated the decor and the fact that the hotel was in the quaint Old Alexandria area close to all kinds of restaurants, unique shops, CVS, Starbucks and a free trolley that takes you to the Metro. Sadly, we didn't get up early enough for the free coffee and tea in the morning, nor did we get back early enough to enjoy the cocktails in the afternoon, but we enjoyed the free in room movies and popcorn from our package and another one for saying FIREWORKS at check in. The clerk at the front desk wanted to give us a free upgrade with the password, but they had no rooms available, so we were fine with the free movies. Warning: Don't bother to eat at the restaurant next door, because the food is overpriced and not the best quality. Save your money and try the restaurants in the area for dinner and breakfast. Our kids loved the Burger Joint, which was very reasonable and the food was delicious! Other food options were a Crab House, Irish pub, Bagel store, bakeries, Spanish Tapas Bar, Indian, Mexican and many others.

As stated by a previous reviewer, the guest hallways and elevators were a little warm, but it wasn't unbearable. All that mattered to us was that our rooms were cool and comfortable. The pool temperature was perfect and they provided towels there too. The pool was situated next to the gym which had a huge shower if you wanted to change there instead of trekking to your room. The entire staff was very helpful from the bellhops, to the front desk, to housekeeping. We enjoyed the turndown service, plush towels and Aveda shampoo/conditioner and soaps, and the animal print bathrobes (they have them in kids sizes too!) were a nice touch!. The parking garage may look a little rundown, but after parking our car there before check in, we didn't have to go back down again till we checked out. Parking is $25/day. Staying at a pet friendly hotel can be a double edged sword. If you need to bring your dog, they provide dog walking and a doggy happy hour. However, if you don't have a dog, you may get a room next to someone with a dog that will bark and whine for hours. We were lucky the dog next door only cried for a little while, but sometimes the barking was a little loud.

We're looking forward to staying at our next Kimpton hotel, possibly in New York, for a romantic weekend!

Join the Kimpton InTouch Guest Loyalty Program for free (on their website), and you'll get free wifi, raid the mini bar up to $10, individual preferences and requests during your stay (like room location, free newspaper, and type of pillows), and $30 off any in room spa services, PLUS exclusive promos!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
New York, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2010

I wish I could stay at the Hotel Monaco every time I go to the DC area! The hotel room was neat, clean and comfortable. The bed was very good. When I checked in the staff were friendly and helpful. I had a minor problem during my stay (misplaced wake up call), and the staff gave me a discount on the room at check out which I did not expect. I think if you are in the area and looking at hotels, seriously consider this one!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!