“Customer Service is the hotel's focus and it does it well.” 5 of 5 stars

Upgrade Your Stay
Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Anaheim Hills
“Customer Service is the hotel's focus and it does it well.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

It was an easy living experience; sometimes you forget you are in a hotel. The service is exceptional. From the coffee/tea in the morning to the wine and light appetizers in the evening to the optional goldfish in your room, you receive a quality living. Although it was warm in the hallways for some reason, you get a cool warm welcome in your room. Please note, dogs are welcome to the hotel, so if you need a quiet room, make it one of your preferences.

Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Monaco-Alexandria, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 7, 2010
Dear mjvellak,

On behalf of the Hotel Monaco Alexandria I wanted to write to thank you for the comments you provided about your recent experience at our property. I also truly appreciate your feedback about our team; they're a very special group of people. Thank you as well for your comments about how Pet Friendly we are; we want to treat everyone in your family as a valued guest, whether on two legs or four!

We want to be the best loved hotel in Alexandria. If there’s any additional feedback you have on how we can continue work toward that goal simply contact the hotel directly and ask to speak with me. Thank you again and I hope we see you soon.

Robert
Hotel Monaco Alexandria

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (342)
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2010

I'm a huge Kimpton fan and this hotel does not disappoint. The bathroom was so beautiful I considered sleeping in the tub. My nieces (11 and 13) loved everything from the location to the pool to the breakfast. The rooms were well-appointed, clean, and beautifully decorated.

I almost don't want to tell you how awesome this hotel is but I know the staff will make me feel like a VIP even if the hotel is full.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Dear sassafrass42,

On behalf of the Hotel Monaco Alexandria I wanted to write to thank you for the comments you provided about your recent experience at our property. I truly appreciate your feedback about our team; they're a very special group of people. Thank you as well for your comments about the bathtub; we hadn't considered sleeping in it, just don't fill it with water if you do!

Robert
Hotel Monaco Alexandria
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

From the time that I arrived at the Hotel Monaco till the time I checked out, I had an overall great experience. We were first greeted by a wonderful, kind and well spoken doorman, who later I learned that his name was Daveren. After he offered so much help and kind jokes with us we later were helped by a nice young man at the front desk. From the moment Daveren (who never forgot any of our names) opened the door, until another nice man wished us well on the way out during check out, our expercience was a pleasant. I will never forget Hotel Monaco, Daveren, Miguel or Brett, and all their pleasantries! I will surely stay there next time I am in town.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Redwood City, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

My husband was in DC on business and I joined him for the weekend. We've stayed and the Monaco before and love the great location in Old Town Alexandria. The rooms are very comfortable and we were lucky enough to have one of the 4th floor balcony rooms overlooking the courtyard.

The room was very large and comfortable, love those chaise lounges, and the staff is very welcoming. We enjoyed the morning coffee and afternoon wine tasting. We've stayed here before and even though it is a very dog friendly hotel you would never know it. The rooms are sparkling clean and the doggy guests are well mannered. I'm a cat person and I still love this place.

This was our second stay and we will definitely be back.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

My boyfriend recently attended a huge conference in National Harbor. I tagged along for some R&R. We ended up booking at the Hotel Monaco Alexandria because it was a fairly last minute decision (2 weeks in advance) and rooms were not available at the conference hotel. This was not a big deal because I'd been advised that National Harbor is not convenient to anything and I wanted Metro access to DC. Alexandria is just across the bridge with water taxi and shuttle service available to National Harbor. We usually prefer to book boutique hotels or condo-type places that have a refrigerator and microwave so we can do breakfasts in the room. When I started looking at options in Alexandria, the Hotel Monaco jumped out at me as having stellar reviews. I knew it wasn't going to be a condo set up but figured the great location and the amazing service would make up for that. Like I said, "You can't win them all"...

Part of the problem is that getting a good value for the money is important to me. I don’t mind paying a lot for something that is worth it. Because of needing to book during a busy period, we paid a steep $244/night to stay in a standard queen room but I figured with the good reviews, it would be worth the money. They have a nice free shuttle from National that runs once an hour that we used to get to the hotel. We arrived in the morning and, not surprisingly, were not able to check in. The desk staff were ordinary, not particularly friendly or welcoming but not rude either. We were not greeted by name at any point during our visit nor did we receive any of the over-the-top friendly service described by other guests on Tripadvisor. The bellman did check our bags though and we headed off to National Harbor which proved to be way more challenging than expected. The water taxi only starts running in late morning and the pick-up for the shuttle to the Gaylord Center at the King Street Metro station was completely unmarked. (For anyone else who needs this $8 service, it picks up in the crosswalk across from the free Alexandria trolley but beware because it is not particularly reliable so be prepared to take a cab.) We got back to the hotel around 9:00 pm and checked in. Once again, ordinary service. We were asked if we wanted a newspaper and what our preference was, though we did not actually receive a paper during the entire duration (3 nights) of our stay. I was excited about the loaner goldfish I had read about and we had to make a particular point to request one when the desk staff did not offer us one at check-in.

We went up to the room and while for the most part the furniture was nice, it was extremely small for the price (1 queen bed, nightstands, tv stand with drawers/mini bar, desk, and foot stool). I am really not sure why people are raving about the decor. From what I understand, the hotel was a Holiday Inn purchased by Kimpton and the tiny size of the room we were given reflected that. Kimptom has added textured wallpaper, a curtain drape over the bed and obnoxious, migraine inducing black and white wall paper on the bathroom walls. There was downright odd mix of art on the walls with very modern prints mixed with photos of civil war uniforms. The bathroom was a bit eclectic with a somewhat separated area with the cabinet sink distinct from the toilet and bathtub area. The bathroom (and closet) have double doors that do not provide as much privacy in the bathroom as regular doors would but apparently are part of the supposed ambiance. The door to the room was very creaky (something you would think housekeeping would have noted to management in a top notch hotel) and it only had an old style, wall mounted ac/heating unit that was so loud we ended up turning it off at night.

We went back downstairs where we did get good advice from the desk on where to find a grocery store (a distance on foot down Royal) but once again no greeting by name. By the time we returned from the grocery, the goldfish had been delivered. Unfortunately, it was a large goldfish in a bowl so small it could hardly turn around and it kept bumping on the glass in such a distressed way that my boyfriend finally walked it back to the desk. We went goldfish-less for the rest of the stay. (By the way Hotel Monaco: many aquarium websites indicate that a 1 inch goldfish should be kept in at least a 1 gallon bowl because goldfish produce a lot of waste which affects the water quality they are staying in.) I think the goldfish was as unhappy about the size of his room as we were about ours!

The room did have a mini bar frig that I had planned to use for yogurt and beverages, especially since the desk clerk had said it would have plenty of space. However, when we returned from the grocery store with food in tow, I found the frig to be too packed with mini bar items to accommodate my groceries. (This was remedied the next day when I asked that housekeeping remove the mini bar items so I would have room for my things and they obliged.)

During our stay, we never experienced anyone on staff at the hotel go above what would be considered ordinary expectations and we are not high maintenance guests. As mentioned by other reviewers, the Metro is more than a mile from the hotel and the free trolley does not start until 11:30 so be prepared to hike it or take a cab. I had been encouraged by other reviews I had seen on this site which indicated the hotel had dropped them at the Metro or restaurant but when I asked at the desk if there was any way to get to the Metro besides a cab since the trolley was not yet running I was told by the desk that I could walk! Thanks so much for that tip! I know I could not *expect* drop-off service but I was hopeful because of what I had read here. Given how disparate our experience was from others described on the site, I can only think that the people getting all the special service must be elderly or booking very high-end rooms. The fact that we paid a high-end price for our low-end room did not amount to any special service at all for us!

As mentioned previously, coffee lovers should note that there is not a coffee pot in the rooms. (Kimpton, this is not trendy or cute, it’s lazy and inconvenient!) They supposedly make up for this by having coffee in the lobby from 7-9 am but that didn’t help my boyfriend who needed to leave before 7 to get to his conference. If you want coffee in the evening you are out of luck and have to go out or use room service. They claim to have a summer special with Arnold Palmers in the lobby in the afternoon before the wine bar but of the two days I was around when it should have been going on, I only saw the service once and there were no glasses available for the little bit left in the jar. (A bellman gave us paper coffee cups when asked but no one seemed to notice there was hardly anything left in the jar or offer to get us more from somewhere else even when my boyfriend physically picked the large glass jar up to tip the last remnants out of it!) Also, as others have mentioned as well, even though I love animals, “pet friendly” is a double-edged sword. There are dogs everywhere. You will hear them. One afternoon I was unable to take a nap because of an unhappy dog that had been left down the hall who barked incessantly for two hours.

The location of this hotel is excellent and Old Town is lovely. However, for what we paid and the service we received, we didn’t think it was a good value.

Final note: for others writing reviews it would be very helpful for you to include the type of room you booked because all things are apparently not created equally at this hotel!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2010

Our outstanding experience started with the reservation desk, where I know we got the best deal available. The agent was friendly and professional and engaged me to where I shared that this was an anniversary trip. She noted that on our reservation and offered me some room preference choices. She also encouraged me to join the hotel's rewards program, which gives us free Internet access on all of our Kimpton stays.

The Monaco style is an odd agglomeration of old word sumptuous Euro/Africa/Asian meets modern. And it works. Think oversize pillows and furniture that makes a statement through bold colors, odd shapes or just plain old glitz. Now mix in hand-carved woods, beveled mirrors and mother of pearl inlay. It's fun, though not for the traditionalist.

The staff started our visit off right, with outstanding service, friendliness that was really refreshing and a genuineness that made us feel right at home. Michael, Brett, Zah and Tobias took a very friendly interest in making sure our every need was cheerfully addressed. Over the three days we were there, we must have been asked about our anniversary by five different people. The staff gave us tips on how to get around, where to eat and where NOT to eat, what attractions were within walking distance, tips on parking. Zah made reservations for us at the Chart House restaurant. The dinner featured a menu personalized with our name, wishing us a Happy Anniversary. Dessert was complimentary. On the way to walk to dinner Zah insisted we take a hotel umbrella. Boy, was he right.

Go to the Monaco with a sense of adventure in mind. And bring your dog. We will next time. They have a doggie happy hour. And one for people too, with nice wines and apps. Our room was comfortable, pretty spacious for DC/Alexandria, and had a nice courtyard view. I don't think we heard any noise at all within the hotel and no traffic or outside interference.

The restaurant offered very tasty food and while the waiter on our first visit was a little quiet, I had a sense that language may have contributed to it. The waitress on our second visit was very friendly and again willing to share tips and personal experience with the area.

We felt that the staff of the Monaco wanted to be there and wanted us to have the best visit we could. In short, we did. Go treat yourself.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

I am a huge fan of Kimpton Hotels and Hotel Monaco in Old Town is one of my favorites. It is in a great location on King street. Lots of little shops and places to eat near by. The hotel lobby was gorgeous and there were free wine tastings and beverages; perfect for a hot day. Our room was beautifully decorated and very clean. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple