“Best Shelter in a Storm...literally!!” 5 of 5 stars

Upgrade Your Stay
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
San Francisco
“Best Shelter in a Storm...literally!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

Winter Snowstorm 2009: after spending the night stranded between both airports and all flights cancelled the next day....I found a little oasis in Alexandria with a great rate for stranded passengers. Very comfy and quiet room...friendly staff...hot chocolate in the lobby. As comfy as it was, I spent most of my time in their Business Center trying to get home for Christmas while all flights were cancelled.
Finally on Sunday morning the storm broke but there were no taxis anywhere. The concierge at the hotel offered to take 3 of us to National Airport where we would have better luck getting a taxi to Dulles. He even found a taxi driver for me who was willing to mkae the drive. He really went above and beyond to help me.
Thanks to this comfy hotel with the beautiful room and accommodating staff!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Bangor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2009

We stayed at the Monaco from 12/14 through 12/18/09. From when we were picked up at Reagan by the shuttle to when we were dropped off, our Monaco experience was first-class. The doormen and bellmen bend over backwards to make you feel like you are their #1 priority all the time; front desk personnel were very professional. Yes, the rooms are a bit small and the air conditioning can be loud -- but the AC drowned out my husband's snoring at night so that was OK by me! The decor is lovely throughout the hotel... we especially appreciated the down comforters on the beds and the merino wool throws.

The location of the hotel is perfect for strolling through Old Town and hitting all the restaurants there and for getting to the Metro. The Metro station is a half-hour walk away, but it's a nice way to begin your sightseeing day, and there's always the free trolley for when you return later in the day. The Christmas lights all along King Street were gorgeous.

We were on the fifth floor and had a beautiful view over the rooftops and steeples of the city. Would recommend this floor.

We are admittedly not foodies but we thought the Jackson 20 was very good. You must try the fried chicken and the wedge salad with bleu cheese. Service was exceptional, even when we ordered full dinners at 10:30 PM after being delayed at the airport and not eating a decent meal all day.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled on business
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2009

We were made to feel welcome the moment we arrived - everyone, from the valets parking our car to the staff on reception, were friendly and helpful. The room was excellent and we loved the goldfish - a great quirky touch. The only thing that let the hotel down was the room service, which we found overpriced and not great quality.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Kimpton_DC, Operations Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 17, 2009
Hello Banjo,

Thank you for staying with us and I am glad that you felt welcome from the moment you arrived. I know the hotel staff try their best to be friendly and I know they will be pleased to hear about your stay. I see you had a pet goldfish for your stay. I apologize about room service. I will be sure to discuss this with the In-Room Dining team and also Jackson 20. Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again!
ILEPAD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2009

Hotel is located in a prime location on King street, not far from the harbor and not far from the king street metro. The room is pleasant along with the bathroom, nice large tub. Even the indoor pool was great plus opened until 10 pm. Now for the negative side, the restaurant Jackson 20, much needed improvement. The food was not bad but the size of the portion was way to small (Tuna) and the side choices were lousy. And the room service, ordered the prime rib and my wife ordered the hamburger, for the price, hmm Wendy's would have suited us better. Both items came cooked the other way around. I have stayed in many different hotels and decided to give this a try, recommend to a friend but it will be a cold day in hell for me to stay again.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Monaco-Alexandria, Chef at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, December 22, 2009
Dear ILEPAD,

In response to your post I wanted to say that I am terribly sorry that you are not satisfied. I am the Executive Chef of Jackson 20 and these complaints aren’t the norm. We pride ourselves filling comfort food that warms the soul. Our Fried Chicken, Ribs and pork chops receive an abundance of accolades. Size has never been an issue when it comes to dinning in Jackson 20. I hope you can find it your heart to look past or misstep and visit us again.

Chef Dennis Marron
Hershey, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

Best location of any hotel for walking around Alexandria, but hotel itself is disappointing. After my reservation they solicited for a room upgrade for nominal fee but they check-in clerk had no record of my upgrade request. Parking garage is probably the dirtiest I've ever been in. Room was nicely decorated but much smaller than pictures made it seem. Note that 6th floor rooms all have 1/2 windows only. The "breakfast for $1 more" promotion allows you to sit in the attached restaurant (Jackson 20) but only includes a bagel or small stack of pancakes. Better breakfast can be had for free at a Holiday Inn. Overall this is not a bad hotel at all, just not a great hotel and, as compared to its own advertising, is quite a bit over-rated. Pick this hotel if location is important to you and you're not looking for a great lodging experience. If the room matters to you, plan ahead and stay at the Morrison House.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Falls Church, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2009

Beautiful hotel - the "living room" aka lobby was very welcoming and inviting with its dark blue walls and fireplace. Wonderful location - very close to Chart House and waterfront parks (within 2 or 3 blocks). We loved the robes - leopard and zebra - that were available for you to wear while you were in their rooms. Very trendy decor in the room including black and white theme with mirrors and some wonderful lighting. Room service breakfast from Jackson 20 was the best room service I have had in a long time! There was wonderful sound proofing proven by the fact that there was a huge party about 3 doors down from us and we could hear nothing inside when we had the door closed to our balcony. I wish our balcony had overlooked the courtyard more instead of looking over a stone roof but then again, we'd be closer to the party :) I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone looking for an excellent location in Old Town Alexandria.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Kimpton_DC, Operations Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 20, 2009
Hello Niquolle330,

Thank you for your compliment about the hotel, I am glad that the lobby felt welcoming to you. We are in a great location in downtown Alexandria. I see you enjoyed your room service breakfast from Jackson 20. They do a great job! Thank you for your recommendation and we hope to see you again soon!
Bethlehem Pa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

My family's visit at the Monaco hotel was our first. Having stayed in hotels around the country and overseas, I would give this hotel the highest rating in all catagories. The staff and service and the room accomodations were as
good as one could expect of a top rated hotel. Added to our stay was the charm of Old Alexandria and wonderful restaurants all within walking distance.
We would return to this hotel in the future and would gladly recomend the hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Hello amslorb,

Thank you for bringing your family to stay with us and for the first time too! Thank you for your high praise and ranking of the hotel. I know that the entire staff will be delighted that they made such a positive impression on you and your family. Thank you for staying and please come back with everyone again soon!

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!