“Charming Hotel in heart of Old Towne Alexandria” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast for $1
Ranked #6 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Cleveland, OH
“Charming Hotel in heart of Old Towne Alexandria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

Hotel Monaco is perfectly located on King Street- the heart of Old Towne Alexandria, VA. My husband and I were on a weekend getaway and we had a wonderful stay. The hotel lobby was charming and inviting. The staff was really helpful in planning dining and sightseeing. The hotel room was extremely clean, very comfortable, roomy and beautifully decorated. The location is incredible... just steps away from shopping, dining, and nightlife! This was our first trip to Alexandria and definitely not our last! Looking forward to another stay here.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

1,064 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
new Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2009

This hotel was amazing..the staff so friendly and attentive, everything you need/want for yourself & your kids. Free Bike rentals, Fish brought into the room for my children, perfectly located in town, clean, priced right...I'd work there!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

We have stayed at Hotel Monacos in year past, Seattle and Chicago. This is one of our
favorites. The decor is funky, as usual, but comfortable and relaxed. The metro is about a 15 to 20 min. walk but the shops are quaint and fun to browse, love Old Town Alexandria.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2009

My husband, currently living in another state, and I planned a weekend rendezvous at the Hotel Monaco based on information that was gathered from a number of travel sources, including Trip Advisor. The hotel surpassed any and all expectations creating the perfect setting for a fantastic weekend. The staff from the bellmen, to reception, to housekeeping saw to our requests throughout the weekend efficiently and with style, The room was attractive, polished and with quality amenities. The location, centered in Old Alexandria, was perfect for drop off of packages as we enjoyed the bounty of boutiques and historical sites within the area. The pivotal moment of experiencing the level of hospitality that is Kimpton was when we decided, last minute without reservations, to have dinner at The Grille in the Morrison House. I had verified the location with reception as we were leaving the Monaco. What a pleasant surprise to be welcomed at the Morrison House by name! Class and style - a winner in our books!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2009
Hello digama1,

Thank you for staying with us! I am glad that based on your research you chose to stay at our hotel. I am elated that upon arrival you found the hotel to exceed your expectations. That is high praise indeed! Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

We decided to treat ourselves on the last night of our road trip and stay somewhere a bit special, we could not of picked a better place.
Just 5 blocks up from the river front in old town, this luxurious and sumptious hotel was furnished and decorated beynd beleif, the bathroom was like a palace, the bed was a work of art, topped off with a renaisance style chaise lounge, you were instantly at home!
I can't recommend this hotel enough if you are looking for a treat in a lovely, lovely town.
Sade the receptionist was among the most heloful hotel staff I have evr encountered.
First class experience

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Hello canuck1975,

I am glad you thought of Hotel Monaco when you decided to treat yourselves on the last night of your holiday. I know that Sade will be pleased to here that she made your stay so enjoyable. Thank you for staying and we hope to see you again soon!
Bowie, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2009

Maybe it was because I booked through Priceline yet had the expectations of a full-paying customer (based on these reviews) or because I was staying for only one night, but I was not overly impressed. The problems began from the moment I checked in. Here's the rundown:
1 - I was put in a room that had a known problem with the big TV that they boast about. Within 30 mins of checking in, I had to be moved to a different room. And, I will add, it was rather unapologetically by guest services.
2 - It took over 45 mins for someone to take my room service order for dinner that night. I kept getting the excuse that room service was out delivering orders. Finally, someone just took my order rather than (a) tell me room service will call me back (which they didn't) or (b) tell me to call back later.
3 - At 11PM at night, 2 dogs were having a fight in the hall outside my room and woke me up.
4 - I attempted to use room service again for breakfast, and got stone cold pancakes. Yuck!
5 - About 30 mins after I requested a late checkout, housekeeping knocked on my door at 9:30AM disturbing my rest. When I answered the door, the lady said "oh you're a late checkout". That was it! No I'm sorry for disturbing you!

To the hotel's credit, when I mentioned these things upon checkout, Mike at the front desk did his best to improve my stay. Thanks Mike for the credits.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
Chapel Hill, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

My husband and I decided (last-minute decision) to take a 4 day weekend getaway. Since we live within driving distance of Washington, DC we decided to stay in Old Town in Alexandria, VA. Using the review here on TripAdvisor, we decided to try one of the three Kimpton. We chose Hotel Monaco for the terrace room. The room was spacious, modern and spotless. The terrace was spacious enough for two with a table and chairs -- where we read the Sunday morning paper. The staff was courteous, friendly and helpful. The hallways were hot, but the room was fine since we had control of the temp. They are an eco-minded hotel, so I suppose this was an energy saving measure. We knew that we'd pay for the parking. The internet is free IF you are a Kimpton member. If not, it is $10 a day to connect. We didn't try the adjacent restaurant. We opted for Geranio (Italian), Indian Silk (Indian) and Le Pain Quotidien (French/healthy) for dinners. We took the Metro (12 block walk from hotel) to DC on two days and visited Mount Vernon on the way home. We would definitely stay at Hotel Monaco again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Kimpton_DC, Reservations Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 10, 2009
Hello DYHGarden,

I am glad that during your spare of the moment decision you thought of us. I see you also booked one of our delightful rooms with the terrace. I am also happy that the staff were courteous, friendly and helpful. I know that they will be pleased to hear that. Thank you for staying and please come back again anytime you need a stay-cation!

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!