“Great Location, Great Rooms, Amazing Hotel.” 5 of 5 stars

Upgrade Your Stay
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Greensbor, NC
“Great Location, Great Rooms, Amazing Hotel.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

My fiancee and I stayed here for the second time this weekend during the cherry blossom festival. Kimpton hotels are amazing and this one is no different. The location of this hotel is perfect. Its only a few blocks from the water and two block from GW parkway. Its right in the middle of all the great restraunts and shops. The rooms are wonderful. They are always clean and roomy. They offer free internet although parking is steep at $20 a night. We were fortunate enough to be able to park on the street with a parking pass from the visitors center. If you're looking for a great place to stay in old town you should stay here. They run great specials and its really a fun classy place to be.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Distribution_Mgr, Reservations Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 7, 2009
Hello Bristoln1,

Thank you for posting your comments on TripAdvisor. I am glad that you had a really good stay. We do have a “perfect” location boasting a spot right in the heart of town and easily accessible to many wonderful restaurants. Thank you for recommending us. I am glad you stayed and I hope that you will be able to join us again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Ft. Lauderdale
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2009

I love this hotel. It is one of my favorite hotels! The staff are top of the line in courtesy and service. The rooms are super comfortable and clean. The location is terrific.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
Hello Triciagi,

Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you “love this hotel” and that we are “one of (your) favorite hotels!” I know the staff will be especially pleased that they are “top of the line in courtesy and service.” Thank you so staying and come back and visit us again soon!
virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

There is not a hotel or resort in which I would prefer to stay, anywhere. The always gracious and welcoming staff can not be surpassed. Their goal is to serve all guests, have all feel like they are the single most important - rare in this day and time. With such service and well appointed rooms, one would think cost would be prohibitive - NOT. Room costs are more than fair, location excellent, and anything a guest might need is available upon request - just ask, and "can do" kicks in, and all is well! Thank you to all the staff, especially Zah and Eddie - you are great! I will always seek out Kimpton Hotels for any future travels, any where I go, as a result of my many great visits with Hotel Momaco! Only suggestion........loose the purple zoot suits - poor guys!! Anne Yates

My ratings for this hotel are:

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Hello ehsmom,

I am glad that you feel that there “is not a hotel or resort in which (you) would prefer to stay.” And that the staff are “gracious and welcoming.” I know that everyone in the hotel, especially Zah and Eddie would be pleased that they made such a huge impact. Thank you for staying with us and do come back and see us again soon!
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

What a great find! We happened upon this treasure and couldn't have been happier with our brief stay. The room was spacious, meticulously clean and wonderfully decorated and the staff were even better. From the valet, to the bellman and the restaurant and front desk all were genuinely friendly, considerate and happy. A joy to be around staff who like where they are working! This was our first experience with a Kimpton property and we look forward to trying out others.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Hello spbfl,

Thank you for calling us “a great find!” I am really glad you had a wonderful stay. It is so important to us at the hotel that everyone enjoys themselves. I know that everyone will be pleased. Thank you for staying and now looking for other Kimpton Hotels. Have a great day and come back again soon!
Midlothian, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2009

A gorgeous hotel with personality and style, the staff is attentive and capable, the location is perfect—you can walk everywhere. A great find.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2009
Hello Mommaneedsleep,

Thank you for your kind words. I am glad that you thought the hotel was “gorgeous with personality and style” and that the staff is “attentive and capable.” I agree the location is within walking distance to many downtown locations. We are in the heart of Old Town. Thank you for staying and please come back again soon!
Northern Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

We live in Northern Virginia and because of work constraints only had one night honeymoon after getting married locally. We chose the Hotel Monaco in Old Town Alexandria because of a friends recommend and because we'd seen the lobby and been intrigued by this boutique hotel. Even though we were still figuratively in our own town it was a great and special experience. The hotel across the board was first class even though it was much more affordable than true first class hotels. The entire facility is in near brand new decoration condition and the style is a very interesting mix that is hard to define...they combine bright colors and modern bold prints with touches of historic elements such as civil war prints in the bedrooms. Sounds weird but it all kind of works nicely.
Service was great and I have to single out the assistant general manager, Tobias Arff, for a specific mention . When he was checking us in and found out it was our honeymoon, he gave us an upgrade to a larger room with a courtyard terrace and later in the day, when we returned from a walking tour, we found a complimentary bottle of champagne in the room. It is customer service touches like that which differentiate a great hotel from a good one.
We ate breakfast in the on premise restaurant (Jackson 10) which is equally uniquely decorated (lots of pigs!) and very interesting in the openness between the dining area, bar and kitchen. It was fine for breakfast but is probably not idea for an intimate romantic dinner as it could get noisey. Food was very flavorful though and we split an omlette and pancakes.
The hotel is located on the main shopping and restaurant street (King St.) in Alexandria, is diagonaly opposite the visitors center (where the walking tours start from), and just two blocks from the Potomac river waterfront and the Torpedo factory arts center. An ideal location in otherwords.

Hello PaulH-nova,

Thank you for staying with us to celebrate such a special occasion. We are privileged to have hosted you and your husband. I am glad that “the hotel across the board was first class even though it was much more affordable than true first class hotels.” It seems you really enjoyed your stay, the hotel décor and the service from our staff. I am sure Tobias will be ecstatic that he made your stay memorable. I am glad you chose to stay with us and I hope that you won’t wait until your anniversary to come back and join us again! Have a lovely day!
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

My wife is from Alexandria and was familiar with the location. As we had many out of town guests, it was important that we picked a hotel that could accomodate our guests and provide exemplary service.

Hotel Monaco - Alexandria met our high expectations and even surpassed them in some areas. This is a gem of a hotel. Very trendy, good sized rooms, extremely clean, marble bathrooms and located in a great section of Old Town Alexandria. If something wasn't right (and we didn't find much wrong), the staff immediately addressed our needs or the needs of our guests. We received nothing but compliments from our out of towners and the weekend was a great success. Note that we did not have our wedding reception at the hotel, we just had our guests stay there so I don't know about their wedding reception site.

My wife and I spend our wedding night in the Mediterranean Suite. It is touch notch and I would recommend to anyone getting married in the area to stay here. The staff added the extra touch of champagne flutes and a bottle on the house. Very impressive.

Hope you enjoy the place as much as we did.

Hello NYCLouNewYorkCity,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am happy that “Hotel Monaco - Alexandria met (your) high expectations and even surpassed them in some areas.” I am glad the hotel met your high expectations and that everyone enjoyed their stay. I hope that you will be able to bring you and your friends back to stay again soon!

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!