“Honeymooning in our own town at somewhere special” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast for $1
Ranked #7 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Northern Virginia
“Honeymooning in our own town at somewhere special”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2009

We live in Northern Virginia and because of work constraints only had one night honeymoon after getting married locally. We chose the Hotel Monaco in Old Town Alexandria because of a friends recommend and because we'd seen the lobby and been intrigued by this boutique hotel. Even though we were still figuratively in our own town it was a great and special experience. The hotel across the board was first class even though it was much more affordable than true first class hotels. The entire facility is in near brand new decoration condition and the style is a very interesting mix that is hard to define...they combine bright colors and modern bold prints with touches of historic elements such as civil war prints in the bedrooms. Sounds weird but it all kind of works nicely.
Service was great and I have to single out the assistant general manager, Tobias Arff, for a specific mention . When he was checking us in and found out it was our honeymoon, he gave us an upgrade to a larger room with a courtyard terrace and later in the day, when we returned from a walking tour, we found a complimentary bottle of champagne in the room. It is customer service touches like that which differentiate a great hotel from a good one.
We ate breakfast in the on premise restaurant (Jackson 10) which is equally uniquely decorated (lots of pigs!) and very interesting in the openness between the dining area, bar and kitchen. It was fine for breakfast but is probably not idea for an intimate romantic dinner as it could get noisey. Food was very flavorful though and we split an omlette and pancakes.
The hotel is located on the main shopping and restaurant street (King St.) in Alexandria, is diagonaly opposite the visitors center (where the walking tours start from), and just two blocks from the Potomac river waterfront and the Torpedo factory arts center. An ideal location in otherwords.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Distribution_Mgr, Area Distribution Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2009
Hello PaulH-nova,

Thank you for staying with us to celebrate such a special occasion. We are privileged to have hosted you and your husband. I am glad that “the hotel across the board was first class even though it was much more affordable than true first class hotels.” It seems you really enjoyed your stay, the hotel décor and the service from our staff. I am sure Tobias will be ecstatic that he made your stay memorable. I am glad you chose to stay with us and I hope that you won’t wait until your anniversary to come back and join us again! Have a lovely day!

1,131 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

My wife is from Alexandria and was familiar with the location. As we had many out of town guests, it was important that we picked a hotel that could accomodate our guests and provide exemplary service.

Hotel Monaco - Alexandria met our high expectations and even surpassed them in some areas. This is a gem of a hotel. Very trendy, good sized rooms, extremely clean, marble bathrooms and located in a great section of Old Town Alexandria. If something wasn't right (and we didn't find much wrong), the staff immediately addressed our needs or the needs of our guests. We received nothing but compliments from our out of towners and the weekend was a great success. Note that we did not have our wedding reception at the hotel, we just had our guests stay there so I don't know about their wedding reception site.

My wife and I spend our wedding night in the Mediterranean Suite. It is touch notch and I would recommend to anyone getting married in the area to stay here. The staff added the extra touch of champagne flutes and a bottle on the house. Very impressive.

Hope you enjoy the place as much as we did.

Hello NYCLouNewYorkCity,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. I am happy that “Hotel Monaco - Alexandria met (your) high expectations and even surpassed them in some areas.” I am glad the hotel met your high expectations and that everyone enjoyed their stay. I hope that you will be able to bring you and your friends back to stay again soon!
North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

From the moment I pulled up to the curb- the friendliest valet greeted me and assisted with my luggage. I had read a couple of reviews before making my reservation and I after my stay I am shocked at some of the reviews----this hotel was fabulous! I even worked from my room and had no issues with the COMPLIMENTARY high speed internet. My standard room was exceptionally clean, the staff was most accommodating and my stay was more than pleasant. You cannot beat this location! The only thing I found fault in was the room service menu- it wasn't appealing to me, but I found a great sushi restaurant one block down that was excellent! I was sad to leave!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Hello Karken,

Thank you for writing your thoughts. It is a great way for guests to learn about our hotel. I am glad that “from the moment (you) pulled up to the curb- the friendliest valet greeted me and assisted with my luggage.” I am sure they will be pleased to hear it. I know that you were “sad to leave” but I hope you can come back and join us again soon!
Burleson, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel in March of 2009 to take in the site of DC. The hotel was very nice and everyone from the doorman to the bell hop was very friendly. The hotel was clean and roomy. Hats off to Ben for making us reservations at the Chart House. The meal was fantastic and the VIP treatment was nice also. The Chart House is at the harbor, 4 blocks down. Although the metro line was about 10-12 blocks away the walk was very easy. The sites we were interested in (Capitol, White House, Museums, Monuments and Arlington Cemetary) were only 10 minutes on the metro. Once we figured out how to purchase the tickets it was a breeze from that point on. We only had two days to spare but plan to make another trip sometime this year. We will definately be back!

Hello WrightAdvengtures,

Thank you for your comments I am glad that you thought “the hotel was very nice and everyone from the doorman to the bell hop was very friendly” and that “the hotel was clean and roomy.” I am sure Ben will be pleased to know he helped make your stay memorable. I hope that you can come back and join us again soon!
New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

We arrived in Alexandria after driving eight hours to attend a surprise bridal shower. The hotel was super accomodating and let us check in early to allow us to rest and get ready. The staff was always very friendly. The rooms were fabulous and the price was very affordable. Definitely would stay there again.

Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2009

Stayed here two nights with our 15 month old daughter in a Med Suite- this suite is perfect for kids- great hotel, wonderful staff- they were all truly so nice and so helpful! They are very nice to kids here. Hotel itself is in the best location and we are so happy we didn't stay at the Hilton as it's very far out of the way. We didn't use our car while we were here- Jackson 20 which is one the hotels resturants' has great food- we went for lunch and had awesome burgers - a little $$, but you get what you pay for! Was it the RItz no, but we would stay again! It is an awsome hotel and family friendley!

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

We spent two wonderful nights at the Monaco while visiting Washington, DC.

This is a luxurious and very "hip" hotel conveniently located across the Potomac in lovely Old Town Alexandria. The decor is gorgeous -- various colors, patterns and textures throughout . We had a very large room with two comfortable double beds; L'Occitane products in the beautiful black and white bathroom; flat screen tv; ipod docking station.

We enjoyed have morning coffee in the lobby with the fireplace roaring and soft music in the background; our kids enjoyed the rather large indoor pool which had colorful lounges and was appropriately ventilated -- no chlorine smell typical of indoor pools and the temperature was just right. Also, there was an attendant (lifeguard?) on duty as well.

The staff here is WONDERFUL from the front desk to the valet parking attendants. All personnel were very friendly. They really made you feel special! I would also like to commend, Ben, the concierge. He was very helpful with information on tours and sights in DC. We also enjoyed his historical tidbits!

We will only stay here when visiting DC again!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!