“Loved this hotel!!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
decatur, al
“Loved this hotel!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2009

I just stayed at the Hotel Monaco. It is a beautiful and unique hotel. The service was excellent and very friendly!! And the coffee downstairs was better than Starbucks! I was upgraded since the room I reserved was not ready at no extra cost. It was the King Loft. What a beautiful room! And the bathroom with the jacuzzi tub was amazing.

• Liked — The service, the cleanliness, the size of the rooms
  • Disliked — The parking fee -- $20 per day.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
Daytona Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2009

Very cozy, colorful and friendly hotel in a great central location for walking in Old Town Alexandria. Exceeded my expectations for comfort and service. Enjoyed breakfast at their restaurant and I also enjoyed the food at the conference I attended on site. Bed was very comfy and bathroom and ammenities were quite luxurious. Very thoughtful touches like animal print robes and slipper/socks in the room. Most of all, I loved having a goldfish delivered to my room to keep me company!

• Liked — Luxurious without being pretentious
  • Disliked — Frequent need for tipping
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Princeton, NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2009

Hotel Monaco, Alexandria, VA was a welcome surprise. We stayed in this hotel when it was the Holiday Inn Select and were pleased to see that the Hotel Monaco took a good thing and made it much better. We typically stay at the Ritz in Tysons Corner when in the area, (which is always great), however, we needed to be closer to Arlington and Alexandria is a nice place to be, so we chose Hotel Monaco on a whim. We were welcomed with smiles and with kindness. The hotel's snazzy decor was not whimsical, like I had feared, and it was not too over the top trendy, which was a relief. We had stayed at the George in DC a few years back and were disappointed, it is a Kimpton hotel as well. This hotel's lobby is warm, welcoming and special. The cool thing was that they actually gave my son a guppy to take to the room for the night! What a neat thing to do. The room was clean..(and i am one finicky customer), it was comfortably decorated and well appointed. The view onto King Street was nice, though the windows were on the small side. The bathroom was all marble and nicely done with trendy new fixtures, nice towels, robes, etc. All in all, we will def. going back...staying in Old Town is always terrific and this hotel will certainly make your stay even more enjoyable.

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — no problems at all
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2008

First off let me start with saying, that I usually hate reading bad reviews on hotels because everyone’s experience is different; and usually the people that make bad reviews are hard to please anyways.

Yet I still read them as a good guide on picking a hotel.

After reading a few positive and few negatives I came to the conclusion that this hotel won’t be as a bad and I’m sure our experience will be awesome, plus I’m not really picky at all, just as long as it’s easy to get to and I sleep well.

Sadly I wished someone would have mentioned that there are other hotels better then this one on kings st…. like the HILTON! Omg the Hilton looked amazing from the outside and in a PERFECT location just down the street…. And with a perfect location comes nice views from your room window (which I’m sure the Hilton had)

Our view at this hotel was of a wall 
First thing you notice when you PASS up the hotel about 4 times is that, it’s hard to locate
BUT if you keep your eye out for guys dress up in Halloween costumes I’m sure you’ll find it.

Everyone had purple suits on that looked like pimp suits … all they were missing were their pimp feathered hat and pimp cup and gold teeth (ghetto). (yes that’s their uniform)

From that very moment I felt this was going to be an experience to say the least.

Complaint:
The A/C made a LOUD NOISE (I can handle some noise and I don’t like to complain and ask to change rooms a lot, plus it was already night time and figure I can sleep through it and bring it up to the reception desk in the morning)
But OMG the A/C woke me up every single time it turned on (turning it off, I would have freeze … November in VA gets a little cold)

They did send an engineer the next day while I was out to fix the A/C. however it still made noise (what was I expecting, it’s the old school type A/C unites that you’ll find in a motel 6)

What I heard from speaking with the friendly valet is that this hotel use to be a Holiday Inn which got bought out….. well it sure does feel/smell/look like a holiday inn (except $$$$$) overpriced room service, and you HAVE to pay for valet, HAVE TO they won’t let you park it in their garage and if you forgot something in your car guess what….. you HAVE to go through them. So as any typical valet you have to give yourself 20min lead time.

This hotel was NOT worth the money. However if they do have a good deal on a room and its Halloween and the motel 6 is booked, then come on in.

Well our stay was so uncomfortable that we left that hotel and stayed at the Hilton and all I’m going to say is …. WOW highly recommend the Hilton over this hotel!

Our Family Vacation finally came to a good end after a BAD start.

Sigh……  you live and learn I guess. (hopefully your stay at this “ghetto” purple pimp suit wearing place is a good experience for you”)

• Liked — Friendly Valet
  • Disliked — Everything !
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Monaco-Alexandria, Hotel Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2009
The recent changes to our Hotel introduce a whimsical design complementing the art – filled neighborhood of Old Town Alexandria. We consistently receive very positive feedback about the changes we made to the Hotel since it is very different from most typical big box Hotels.
-Hotel Manager, Hotel Monaco Alexandria
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2008

I stayed at Hotel Monaco for one night in August of 2008. Overall, the hotel is great. It appeared to be well maintained and clean. It is in a very good location for those interested in visiting the historic district in Alexandria. There are many nice restaurants and bars within walking distance. The hotel is also pet friendly! If you don't have a pet, you can request a goldfish upon check in which was a unique touch for those who miss their pets while traveling!

I would recommend this hotel to adults traveling for business or pleasure. I didn't have any complaints during my brief stay.

• Liked — Swanky decor
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
NYC
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2008

I repeat again this is NOT a four star hotel, but this is not surprisingas it is relatively cheap for a hotel in its supposed class. It is after all 135 a night for a king. The hotel itself is clean, decorated and the rooms comfortable. The main problem is management. I stayed on the 5th floor and they have placed everyone as far as they could from the elevator all clumped together when it was obvious they could've placed people a bit spaced apart. It was constant dogs barking. The person next door had several loud dogs, and an owner who would whistle and clap at them as they were walking in the hallway. There was guitar playing at night and early in the morning, an alarm clock going off at 8 am on a Saturday morning for 30 min. NIGHTMARE!!! I had called every morning to the front desk and alas, although courteous, they were on the most part ineffectual. The previous night I asked for cutlery so I could eat dinner, I waited for 40 min and finally called downstairs. They were surprised it was not brought up and did so in a few min. There was water in my ice bucket when I went to use it, which I don't understand why wasn't emptied out when the room was cleaned. I am thinking they just don't throughly clean the room or they fill the bucket with ice every time they clean, which doesn't make sense both ways. I left a 5 dollar tip to encourage they clean the room better after barley using it but nothing really happened. Overall, simple things seems to be a monumental task to the people here. I am probably coming to the area again every year around Christmas time because of my boyfriends family and would never stay here again. I travel frequently and stay at about 8-10 various class hotels a year all over the world and can say this one maybe barley made it as a 4 star hotel. Kimpton really should do something about the management. To be fair, the front desk and the concierge were all very friendly and helpful.

4 star description:
These superior properties distinguish themselves with a high level of service and hospitality, as well as a wide variety of amenities and upscale facilities. A well-integrated design, stylized room decor, excellent restaurant facilities, and landscaped grounds are all present. The comfort and convenience of the guest is the staff's prevailing concern.

*3 star description: (THIS ONE!!)
These properties offer a higher level of service with additional amenities, features, and facilities. The property grounds, decor, and quality of furnishings are a noticeable upgrade in terms of style and class. Most properties in this category feature restaurants serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Room service availability may vary. Valet parking, pools, and fitness centers are often provided.

**but like I said, Im not surprised at the quality in service, its pretty much in the price range of a 3 star hotel.

• Liked — comfortable room
  • Disliked — management of the hotel
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2008

We are currently at the Hotel Monaco for just one night although I wish it could be more!! Everything is as good or better than we would have expected. We are traveling with our dog and they especially welcome pets. I do have a concern that it is a few blocks away to get to a good grassy area for "walking" the dog but so far it has not been a problem and the dog is really happy here. We had dinner at the adjoining restaurant "Jefferson 20" and, although a bit pricey, we enjoyed our selections for the evening. I would recommend the "fried green tomato" appetizer and also the "braised collard greens" for a side. I would recommend the Hotel Monaco for anyone wanting a really special "getaway".

• Liked — Great service, great room.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!