“Great location!” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Selinsgrove, Pennsylvania
“Great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

This is a terrific Kimpton Hotel in downtown Alexandria. The only reason that I did not give it a 5 star is because I brought my husband's Toyota Tundra truck that has luggage rails on top and it did not fit into the parking garage of the Kimpton Hotel. Parking was included in the rate of my room. I spent three hours juggling the truck around to different venues. Eventually, the truck stayed in the front "valet area" overnight since there was no place to accommodate the vehicle. The people at Kimpton were wonderful about the problem, but, had I known about the height restriction ahead of time, I would have opted to bring a different vehicle.

Room Tip: We had a street view room. No noise. Great view!
Green Features: I would return to this hotel despite the parking issue. I will bring a smaller vehicle to fit in the garage.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
Cleveland, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2014

This is my favorite hotel in the area. It is one of my favorites that I have ever visited. Love the decor, the scent, the amenities.

They have an indoor pool. I did not know that until my family accompanies me on a business trip. And it is staffed with a lifeguard. Bonus! FYI it's closed between 10-2, not sure why.

The people who work here are super. Even the lady who dropped off a Keurig to my room as just a treat.

We had a room on the 3rd floor, a few doors from the pool and exercise room. Double beds, terrace. Really enjoyed being able to sit outside in the evening and relax instead of hanging out in the room, especially since we couldn't leave when we had a sleeping child.

Looking forward to returning, next week. The wine hour is a lovely amenity, too!

Room Tip: Upgrade to a terrace room with a balcony if you prefer fresh air.
Green Features: In-room recycling bins. Nice! If you want your sheets changed often you need to ask, otherwise they will not waste the water to wash.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Asbury Park, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2014

Though our four-night stay at the Hotel Monaco Alexandria got off to a bumpy start, I can say without hesitation that the facility’s management addressed all our concerns professionally and quickly. Since we wanted some outside space, we reserved and pre-paid for an upgraded Monte Carlo room months in advance with a balcony and courtyard view. Unfortunately we were told at check-in that the hotel was “overbooked” and no balcony rooms were available. We needed to stay in a standard room for night #1, and then we could switch to the Monte Carlo for the rest of our stay. We we NOT happy (the weekend was a birthday celebration) and made our displeasure abundantly clear to management without making a huge scene. Matt, the director of hotel operations, was exceptionally courteous and apologetic, and ultimately he did precisely what a good leader should do to make things right.

As for the hotel, the location in Old Town Alexandria is superb, and it could not be more convenient to shopping, restaurants and transportation (especially the free King Street trolley and the ferry to National Harbor). I used the hotel’s loaner bicycle to zip around town at no charge. The hotel lobby is a welcoming place to meet friends and have a drink during the complementary wine hour. Our Monte Carlo room was appealing, and it was nice to have a 5 x 10 outdoor balcony to relax on. Alexandria’s Saturday Farmers Market is pretty fabulous and convenient. Though the Kimpton chain has some tough competition these days in the “boutique hotel” market, we would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: The Monte Carlo rooms on the central courtyard are quiet (if there is no event scheduled) and have n...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014 via mobile

We were lucky enough to be booked into the Hotel Monaco for 3 nights . The staff were very pleasant and the location is perfect. one of the most pleasant stays we have had in a long time. Highly recommend.

Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2014

We had a multi-day reservation for a large one-bedroom suite and when I called with a few questions about the size of the room and the configuration for a crib, the staff was dismissive and unable to give me a straight answer. To my question about the size of the room, the young women said, "what do you mean, like square footage - I don't know that." When I asked if a crib would easily fit in the bedroom portion of the room, the response was "sure." When I asked if she could check because "sure" didn't convince me, she said "no, it's fine - it should fit." Really?

Being in the area, I stopped in the hotel the next day to see if I could get better answers to my questions. I was pushing a stroller and was not helped with the door by the doorman. I was initially ignored at the reception area by the three ladies at the counter. And when finally helped, I was given the same vague, dismissive answers to my questions. These are not hard questions - will the crib fit easily in the bedroom portion of the suite? Does the minibar have room for baby bottles?

Needless to say, I wasn't about to pay almost $500 a night for this hotel. I canceled my reservation and went elsewhere. Sad though - because I have always loved Kimpton hotels. Customer service training is greatly needed at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2014

This is really nice hotel in Old Town Alexandria. I arrived early, and they graciously let me check in at 10:00 am. I lost my room key not once, but twice, and they cheerfully replaced it both times. It's the little things that make you want to come back to a hotel.
The room itself was nice, with a spacious bathroom. They had a charging station in the room for cellphones and the like. My only (minor) complaint was that it took a long time to get hot water in the sink. Nitpicky, I know, but you asked.
Overall, a really solid choice in Alexandria. I highly recommend Hotel Monaco.

Stayed August 2014
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Dear David A,

Thanks so much for the recommendation! Hopefully all will follow your advice!

We really do apprecaite your business and the fact that you took the time to share your coments here, thank you again.

Take care,

Matt
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014

I came to Alexandria for a business conference and booked the Hotel Monaco for my stay. The staff was very courteous and helped me get checked into my room early so I could set out to see the city. Room service was very helpful when I requested items that I needed. Cleanliness, friendliness and comfort were all above and beyond, and the bright decorations were so cheerful to wake up to. I am excited to try out other Hotel Monaco locations!

Green Features: Loved the C.O. Bigelow Apothecary bath products in room many other organic and environmentally friendly amenities!
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear Amelia P.,

Thank you for staying with us! It is great to hear that our hotel and location worked so well for your business trip.

Please consider coming back on your own time, there is lots to do around here while on vacation as well!

Take care,

Matt

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!