“Girls Weekend” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Pennsylvania
“Girls Weekend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

The Hotel Monaco Alexandria is a beautiful property and was the perfect choice for our girls weekend accommodations. The decor in the lobby and throughout the hotel as well as the rooms is modern and the colors are bright and fresh . The Location is perfect and many places within walking distance. We had a lovely room on the third floor. We were very close to the elevators and just wish that guests would be a little more respectful when walking down hallways, as loud voices travel. Other than that, our room was perfect and well kept. The staff was very friendly and accommodating except for the lifeguard on duty at the pool, she could use some much better people skills and work on her friendliness. That was our only con during our stay. I look forward to returning to this property on my next trip.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Dear dlmcsm,

Thank you for choosing us for your girls weekend getaway! We love to help people celebrate, and appreciate having you stay with us!

I have addressed the concerns you mentioned regarding the lifeguard with our partner company, thank you so much for providing that feedback.

Looking forward to your next weekend away with us!

Thanks,

Matt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Norfolk, Va
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

We were in Alexandria for a fund raiser event our son's film project "The Roots of American Music". It was in an elegant part of town, we have a dog, one night only...where to stay?? Tried a few of the chain hotels, however the Monaco was highly recommended. Availability? Yes! Near our destination? Yes! Dog friendly? Yes!! Right price? Yes...Very pleasant 24 hrs...everyone walking dogs around the hotel..every evening a wine tasting/party/a FABULOuS bakery for breakfast on the corner. Service/Staff incredible. Room very nice..kind of middle eastern feel. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay!!

Room Tip: Nothing to write..our room assigned by desk was excellent. So glad to get a nice place for the dog...
Green Features: Excellent period....Excellent Period!! The Monaco Alexandria a Kimpton Hotel is environmentally friendly......
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Dear MBearNorfolk,

A wonderful review by our dear guest - Yes! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this!

Glad that everything worked out so well, including making your dog feel at home. If your son has more projects in the area, or you simply would like to come back and explore more, please consider staying with us again, we would love to have you!

Take care,

Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I attended a conference in March and was excited to learn that I would be staying at the Monaco Alexandria . The location was wonderful. So many shops and resturants within walking distance. I enjoyed being in the center of the historic district. It was an easy walk to the water.
The room was comfortable and beautifully decorated and spacious. The lobby was colorful with many areas of seating that encouraged you to sit and relax. The staff always welcoming and helpful.
We had dinner and breakfast meetings at the hotel and the food was wonderful. I was pleased that they offered gluten free options each time.
I hope to come back at leisure in the future.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear Terri Eggeman,

So glad that your meetings brought you to us! Thank you for the wonderful review, and especially the kind words regarding the staff.

Please do come back when you have the opportunity, we look forward to seeing you again!

Take care,

4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

we stayed at the Monaco which is right in the heart of Old town and 4 short blocks to the Potomac River. The area is cool and eclectic. The room was nice. The TV was too small and seemed outdated for such a nice hotel. Service was excellent! We also took a 10 minute boat ride over the Washington D.C. and the National Harbor. Do yourself a favor and take the boat ride! Back to the hotel. There were 2 wedding parties staying here and it made for an extremely packed lobby at all hours. bed was comfortable. Bathroom good. Room could use a little upgrade if I am honest. The price we paid for the weekend made this hotel a very good bargain for us. Not sure how I would feel if we had paid full price for room.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Rick P,

Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing feedback on your stay here! I agree, the water taxi over to National Harbor is a lot of fun and great way to get places! You can also take it to Georgetown, Mt. Vernon, or directly to the Washington Nationals Baseball games as well.

We are planning a room refresh starting in December of this year, which will include larger TV's. Please come back and see what we have done to enhance the look of the rooms, I'm really excited about it!

Thanks again,

Scottsdale, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

A recent stay at the Hotel Monaco Alexandria had mixed results. The hotel is in a perfect location for visiting the historic area of Alexandria, Virginia. I had always stayed in other areas when visiting D.C. This was my first stay in Alexandria and it did not disappoint, but that's another review. As far as the hotel, Kimpton does a good job choosing friendly and polite employees. All from the knowledgeable and amiable driver that provided complimentary shuttle service from the airport, to the hotel staff and management, everyone made an attempt to make us feel welcome.The facilities are nice and well appointed, but some areas are not well thought out. There were also issues related to a breakdown in service which I discuss in detail below.

ROOM: Nicely designed spacious terrace room, with a king sized bed, luxury bedding, desk, easy chair, tiny side table only large enough to hold an ice bucket and some glasses. If you order room service there is no where to place your dishes unless you clear off the desk, a hassle since I was working there throughout the trip and had to put away the computer and work papers each time I ate. The tiny side table by the easy chair has a raised (approx 1") edge that is decorative but prevents use of this table for anything other than decor. Closet has a safe. Desk lamp had the wrong kind of bulb (CFL) since it had a dimmer switch causing the light to flicker unless turned off.

Bathroom had a HUGE jacuzzi tub. This thing was ridiculously large...more like a small swimming pool, and was at least 4' deep and 5' long. Very relaxing to use but there are no safety bars and you have to use a step to get into it. It takes at least 30 min to fill up and feels like a potential drowning hazard every time you tried to get out of it. I joke....seriously, they should consider putting a couple of safety bars on the edge so you can get in and out more easily. The hotel provides a container of aromatic bath salts and nice amenities. They should provide more than one bar of soap to guests though. The one small hand soap at the sink has to be used for hand washing, bath and shower.

The room looked out over a courtyard and had a "semi private" balcony. Some guests did not seem to understand what "semi private" meant and a party next door decided to spread out over the entire balcony and party behind my room, leaving glasses half filled with cigarette butts, beer bottles and other trash behind. The hotel is non smoking but apparently smoking is permitted on the balconies. The hotel could possibly create the impression of privacy by strategically placing plants or planters between rooms on the balcony which could prevent some guests from taking over other room's patio area.

I understand that this is an older hotel and expect some rattling and creaking. The AC units were somewhat louder than modern units but there was additional noise from machinery located adjacent to my room and I was unable to sleep the night I checked in and there were no additional rooms available. Apparently some guests from a large event became noisy one night (possibly the people who partied on my terrace) and some other guests filed complaints. The party vacated and the hotel was able to provide a quieter room for me (on the third day of my visit).

As a new member of Kimpton's loyalty program I thought I would get a daily newspaper delivered to my door, but did not. On day three, I mentioned it to hotel staff at the front desk, but they did not seem to know anything about the amenity being offered. On the morning of my departure, five days after checking in, I found a newspaper at my doorstep.

DINING: We did not eat at the hotel restaurant because the location is nestled among shops and restaurants in old town Alexandria which provided a lot of dining choices. We ordered room service three times. The first time one item was wrong (white toast instead of wheat) and an order of French Toast with fruit was missing fruit. Food was delivered on a square plastic tray, similar to what you would see in a cafeteria or food court, with plates covered in Saran Wrap and not uncovered for the guest. Tray was placed on the desk since there was no other table in the room.

On another occasion I asked for a pot of tea and cheese plate. The order taker could not tell me what was included on the cheese plate and yelled a question to someone off the phone who also didn't know. He repeated the order back to me but when it arrived it was missing tea bags. The person delivering it said they thought I was going to provide my own tea and had to go back for the teabags. The cheese plate was small with a few small cuts of cheese and some butter crackers (covered in Saran wrap).

All in all, room service seems like an afterthought (or an inconvenience for the hotel) and makes it appear they just don't care. I've had almost the exact service and food quality at budget hotels. Again, the employees are very nice and polite but room service is definitely in need to some attention with employees in need of some training.

I would return to this hotel primarily because of the location, the quietness of the hotel, quality of bedding and amenities, and the fact that they made attempts to fix issues that occurred if they could. I travel extensively and have owned a travel agency for 20 years. I realize problems can occur at any hotel, but it's how a business addresses these problems that distinguishes them. The Hotel Monaco is a lovely little hotel, but it seems to be resting on its laurels and needs to address some issues that prevent it from being a truly great little hotel.

Room Tip: Ask if the room you are assigned is at the end of the hallway that holds some machinery. There was a...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear emrtravel,

Thank you very much for staying with us, and for taking the time to share your detailed comments here. I'm glad that you found the location useful and enjoyed exploring all that Old Town Alexandria has to offer, and appreciative that you will return!

Please accept my apologies however for the inconveniences you experienced due to the noise and the encroachment of fellow guests onto your balcony.

I can assure you that we will not rest, that we are on a mission to be a great hotel in every aspect and to include every department. I feel very confidant that when you do return, you will notice improvements in In-Room Dining and other areas compared to your current assesment. Our team is committed to being great, and I personally am fired up to lead them there.

Please reach out to me at anytime if I may be of personal assistance, my email address is matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com.

Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Always stay in Kimpton when I can because of their consistent excellence.
LOCATION--nearly perfect. Within walking distance of unlimited restaurants, bars, and shopping. Reasonably located to the metro and Amtrak station.
STAFF--everyone was very friendly and responsive, from the bellmen to the maids.
DECOR--very modern and clean.
ROOM--normal Monaco funkiness, although my room was the smallest hotel room I have stayed at in years. Outside of that, sleep quality was great, bathroom nice and as always, stocked with all the things you could possibly need.
FITNESS ROOM--average. The room is on the small side and has 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, and a recumbent bike. Dumbbells up to 25#. Nice cable machine. More than enough to maintain fitness, but average compared to some chain hotels I've stayed in recently.
SUM--In the end, I would 100% recommend and I will stay here again if in Alexandria. I couldn't give a perfect rating because of a handful of very minor issues that I easily noticed (iron board and iron holders were cheaply attached and falling out of closet, no paper the first morning, and no water in fitness room one morning). I will also say the hotel is like a labyrinth, and I went up and down the 4 stairwells several times before I could figure out how to get where I wanted to go (I always try to take stairs).

Room Tip: I would not stay near elevators or fitness room on 3rd floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear Joshb2j,

Thank you for the excellent rating! Really appreciate your kind words and detailed review.

I'm sorry the stairwells are confusing when trying to access the lobby, we will work on better signage there.

Thanks again and take care,

2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

It's very loud late at night if your put at the end of hall near the doors. I think it was workers going through with stuff. Witch would be normal if it wasn't late. It's not worth it at all because the hotel is highly price and they also make you pay for parking it in their garage. We paid $27 a night and it's more if you come and go a lot. There is no where else to park! I won't stay here again because it offending that you pay for a place to stay and they can't provide you with parking free of charge.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Laura B,

Thank you for your review. I'm so sorry about the noise issues you experienced, please accept my sincere apologies. We do charge for parking in our garage, but there is not a fee for in/out priveleges, I'm sorry if there was any confusion on this.

There are alternative parking garages in the area that may be less expensive (which others here have shared) as an option for you in the future.

If you would consider staying with us again and I can personally help with setting everything up for you so that you would have a more enjoyable experience, please reach out to me directly at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com and I would be glad to help.

Matt

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!