“Met My Expectations of the Monaco Standard (4.8* rounded up to 5)” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel

Upgrade Your Stay
Ranked #4 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Charlottesville, Virginia
“Met My Expectations of the Monaco Standard (4.8* rounded up to 5)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Always stay in Kimpton when I can because of their consistent excellence.
LOCATION--nearly perfect. Within walking distance of unlimited restaurants, bars, and shopping. Reasonably located to the metro and Amtrak station.
STAFF--everyone was very friendly and responsive, from the bellmen to the maids.
DECOR--very modern and clean.
ROOM--normal Monaco funkiness, although my room was the smallest hotel room I have stayed at in years. Outside of that, sleep quality was great, bathroom nice and as always, stocked with all the things you could possibly need.
FITNESS ROOM--average. The room is on the small side and has 2 treadmills, 2 ellipticals, and a recumbent bike. Dumbbells up to 25#. Nice cable machine. More than enough to maintain fitness, but average compared to some chain hotels I've stayed in recently.
SUM--In the end, I would 100% recommend and I will stay here again if in Alexandria. I couldn't give a perfect rating because of a handful of very minor issues that I easily noticed (iron board and iron holders were cheaply attached and falling out of closet, no paper the first morning, and no water in fitness room one morning). I will also say the hotel is like a labyrinth, and I went up and down the 4 stairwells several times before I could figure out how to get where I wanted to go (I always try to take stairs).

Room Tip: I would not stay near elevators or fitness room on 3rd floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Joshb2j,

Thank you for the excellent rating! Really appreciate your kind words and detailed review.

I'm sorry the stairwells are confusing when trying to access the lobby, we will work on better signage there.

Thanks again and take care,

Matt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

It's very loud late at night if your put at the end of hall near the doors. I think it was workers going through with stuff. Witch would be normal if it wasn't late. It's not worth it at all because the hotel is highly price and they also make you pay for parking it in their garage. We paid $27 a night and it's more if you come and go a lot. There is no where else to park! I won't stay here again because it offending that you pay for a place to stay and they can't provide you with parking free of charge.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Laura B,

Thank you for your review. I'm so sorry about the noise issues you experienced, please accept my sincere apologies. We do charge for parking in our garage, but there is not a fee for in/out priveleges, I'm sorry if there was any confusion on this.

There are alternative parking garages in the area that may be less expensive (which others here have shared) as an option for you in the future.

If you would consider staying with us again and I can personally help with setting everything up for you so that you would have a more enjoyable experience, please reach out to me directly at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com and I would be glad to help.

Greenwood, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

Stayed two nights on business, including using a meeting room, in July 2014. Hotel is tucked into a charming part of the city and it's easy to walk anywhere. They conveniently provide umbrellas in the closet of each room (which didn't help me when I left it in my room one evening!). This is a pet-friendly hotel but you'd never know it. I had a king room which was a little small but since it was only me in the room it made no difference. Bathroom layout was a little odd, but very tastefully done and included a shelving unit where I could place all my things. Conference room and food were very good. If in Alexandria on business or for vacation, I would definitely stay here again. Very enjoyable experience.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Dear cy1229,

Thank you so much, really appreciate the kind words. Great to know that you will come back as well!

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Take care,

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I recently spent one night at the Monaco in Alexandria and was very pleased with my stay. The hotel is in the perfect location for those looking to explore all that Old Town Alexandria has to offer. From the hotel you can walk to anything and everything you could possibly want to do.

The hotel staff was very friendly and accommodating. The hotel itself is huge but some of the rooms can be small. I ended up in a corner room on the 6th floor. It felt more like an attic room with a tiny little window than a 4 star hotel room but it was a busy Saturday night and I was late to arrive so I understand that I probably didn't get the best of room they had to offer. Surprisingly, the bathroom was almost as large as the room itself. The bed was very comfortable and the room was nice and quiet.

All in all it was a good stay and I would definitely stay here again if I want to be right in the heart of Old Town.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Dear luxurybargainlover,

Thank you for trying us out for a night! Appreciate your review here as well.

I'm sorry that the room you recieved was a little bit smaller, we are addressing those few rooms with alternative furniture layouts in our upcoming guestroom renovation this winter.

Please do come back, we would love to have you!

Weston, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

My family and I traveld to the DC area recently and decided to stay at the Monaco mostly due to the location in the middle of King Street. Having never stayed at a Kimpton property before, we were not sure what to expect, but this turned out to be one of our most favorite hotels we have ever stayed at.
The property is a lovely boutique hotel and it is clean, quiet and the staff is polite and very professional. Even though this property allows dogs, and we saw many of them, there was no smell and we heard no barking coming from any other rooms. The lobby is spacious and is a great place to enjoy the free afternoon wine as well as the cookies and treats that are also put out. Our room on the 5th floor was clean and gave us plenty of room to unwind. Some rooms offer small terraces to enjoy a drink or just relax.
We did not eat at the restaurant located next to the Monaco, but rather took advantage of the hotel's great location in the middle of Olde Town. We walked to shops and had a lunch and dinner at places right near the hotel Make sure to check out the Warehouse Bar and Grill a few blocks south of the hotel.
Getting into DC was easy..it was an easy 10 minute walk to the Metro, but there is a free trolley or cab service is the walk is too much.
Wi-fi is free at the hotel if you join the Kimpton loyalty program (which is free) and you also receive a $10 room credit towards anything from the mini-bar as well for joining. Well worth it.
This is a truly outstanding hotel and my wife and my wife and I will be returning as soon as we can to enjoy more of the luxury and service.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Dear mark3735,

Thank you for this wonderful review! It is so great to hear that you had such a fantastic experience here!

Sounds like you really took advantage of the location and explored the area to the fullest, hopefully there are still a few things left to see that will draw you back soon!

Thanks again and take care,

Plattsburgh, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

First time to Alexandria with the family. Had an absolutely fabulous stay at the Hotel Monaco. Perfect location in the heart of "old town." Easy access to the Mount Vernon Trail system for running/biking. Short metro ride to DC. Great indoor pool for the kids. Great "free wine" happy hour every afternoon for the parents! No complaints at all. Would highly recommend it to anyone wanting to stay in the DC area. All employees were unbelievably friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: If you aren't traveling with a dog, request one of the "dog-free" floors. (we stayed...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear sportsdoc3,

Thank you for bringing the family and for sharing your comments here! Glad that you enjoyed the complimentary wine hour and that the kids took advantage of our indoor pool as well, hopefully they were around on a Saturday night to enjoy our Dive-in movie!

Take care and safe travels,

Jackson, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My husband and I always try to stay at Kimpton locations. They are all lovely and unique, and the service is always excellent. The Monaco in Alexandria was no exception.

We stayed in a lovely terrace room (this is a step up, pricewise, from the basic room). We enjoyed the small balcony and had room service deliver breakfast one morning, which we ate outside. This was very convenient- we filled out our request the night before, left it on the door, and were served promptly as requested. Price for the full breakfast (eggs, hash browns, toast, bacon, etc.) was reasonable considering it was room service, and everything was very good.

The room itself was gorgeous. I loved the bathroom. The shower was also good- good water pressure and temperature throughout our stay, an area that many hotels fail miserably in! The bed was well-appointed and very comfortable. Sleep quality was great.

The complementary wine hour from 5-6pm is a nice treat. We had some wine that we thought was quite good.

Front desk staff were courteous and helpful as expected.

The hotel offers a 50% off parking promotion for driving a hybrid vehicle, which we took advantage of.

The location is another great feature of this hotel- walking distance to many nice restaurants, the fountain on King St., the waterfront, ice cream parlors, etc. One caveat here- the walk to the metro is about 15 minutes, and in the heat, I didn't enjoy the walk. The King St. trolley is free and there is a stop just across the street from the hotel- take that to the metro if you can. It doesn't run before 10am, however.

We were not travelling with our pet, but enjoyed seeing other peoples' dogs during our stay. We did have one dog-related incident, however it was handled quite graciously by the staff. Somehow, some dog excrement ended up on our balcony halfway through our stay. I'm not sure if a small dog from a room closeby got through (the balconies are separated by a hard fabric partition, but there is a little space around the sides) or if someone swept it into our porch as they didn't want to clean it up themselves. We may never know! However, we discretely informed the front desk, and they of course had it cleaned up and even left us a nice baked treat and note. I appreciate that the staff was able to handle the situation quickly and with a sense of humor!

Great hotel.. highly recommended!

Green Features: Green Key certified hotel, something we look for and appreciate! Waste is composted. Discount is given for driving/parking a hybrid vehicle.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear msmileyface,

Thank you for staying with us! I'm glad we lived up to the high Kimpton standards as well!

I am sorry about the incident on your terrace that morning, but thankful that the team was able to handle it quickly and gracefully.

Thank you for all the great comments here, we are very appreciative of your business!

Matt

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!