“Great location - Okay hotel; Valet damaged car” 2 of 5 stars

Breakfast for $1
Ranked #6 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Virginia
“Great location - Okay hotel; Valet damaged car”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2008

Before Old Town Hotel became Hotel Monaco, I had stayed at the hotel previously and had a great stay. The hotel is in a great location right in the middle of Old Town Alexandria. My girlfriend and I were excited to stay in the new Hotel Monaco hotel. The hotel is very decorative and modern. The bed was comfy and the staff appeared to be friendly. The LCD TV and furniture were also nice. Those are the positives.

The room that we stayed in had gnat problem which was annoying. The room we stayed in was also a lot smaller than we had expected.

I hate how they force you to use Valet in their parking garage and charge you $20 dollars a night to park there! Before at the previous hotel, it was $7 a night and you could park your own car. Their valet staff damaged my car while in their care, but I did not notice it until after I had left the hotel. The reason? The valet staff had purposely parked my car at an angle in front of the hotel, extremely close to the vehicle in front of it, so that I wouldn't notice the damage even if I had looked. Of course there was nothing that they could do about it after the fact saying that they could not prove that they did the damage to my car.

If I stay in Alexandria again, I will make sure to stay in another hotel...

• Liked — Bed
  • Disliked — Valet
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

1,064 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2008

Everything about The Hotel Monaco in Alexandria was wonderful. The room was large and airy, huge flat screen tv, huge and unique bathroom, and very very clean. The staff were very attentive, friendly and efficient toward all their visitors' needs. Very impressed. The location is excellent, right on the main street close to all eating establishments, shopping and a fantastic marina and boardwalk. Can't say enough about this place. Great place and a great time was had by all (organized bus tour of 50 people).

• Liked — whole atmosphere of the hotel - was a pretty special place
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Powhatan, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2008

My wife and I stayed here for several days with our beautiful Lab/Retriever dog for our 30th anniversary. The stay was wonderful. The staff always welcomed our pooch and us as we would pass through the beautiful lobby. The room was beautiful, a bed and water bowl was provided for our dog. Our room had a patio overlooking the courtyard. All in all, a delightful stay!

• 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
alexandria07
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2008

We reserved a two-floor suite for our wedding night. Before doing so we met with the concierge, who told us of the many "extras" awaiting us to make our wedding-night stay special. This was repeated when we checked in. Unfortunately, we returned that night to discover that the beautiful two-floor suite was hot (a/c broken) and none of the promised "extras" awaited us. Ultimately, we were moved to the only room available--a nice standard room--for which we were charged RACK RATE the next morning--unbelievable. We spoke with the manager on duty, who gave a modest discount, and left quite dissatisfied. We wrote to the general manager, who responded immediately, apologized profusely, explained what he had done to ensure such a problem doesn't happen again, and offered us a free stay, or dinner & drinks. We took him up on the dinner, which was fine. That doesn't replace the unsatisfactory experience on our wedding night, but does show that the general manager takes guest satisfaction seriously and is working to instill that in the staff of this new hotel.

• Liked — Nicely furnished, very comfortable beds, and spacious bathrooms
  • Disliked — Broken a/c, poor service
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Fredericksburg, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

My husband and I just came home from a night's stay at Hotel Monaco. We loved it! The hotel lobby was beautifully decorated and the rooms were very chic - great colors and nicely decorated. The bathroom was huge and the shower had great water pressure. As a member of the Kimpton guest loyalty program, we had complimentary spring water and a tray of goodies awaiting us along with a handwritten note welcoming us to the hotel.
The hotel is perfectly located on King Street to walk to all the of the shops and restaurants and we took the free "King Street Trolley" all the way up to the metro stop and went into D.C for the day.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Cool decor
  • Disliked — n/a
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

I'm a big fan of the Kimpton chain. Like its other hotels, Hotel Monaco has a stunning, distinctively colorful interior that is a refreshing change from the beige on beige of business hotels. Yet the Holiday Inn that this hotel replaced in January still lurks in a few important ways.

GOOD: Gorgeous lobby and rooms; fantastic location; very clean; nice robes in closets; great bed; fantastic water pressure in shower; L'Occitane bath products; no street noise in rooms facing courtyard; balcony; free coffee and tea in the lobby; New York Times delivered to room!

BAD: Very noisy air conditioner; no Discovery Channel; heater for swimming pool broken; no door chain or latch (though there is a deadbolt and peephole); slamming of hallway doors by staff and guests; no bathroom blower vent!

Whoever Kimpton has hired to do its interior design deserves a raise. I was wowed by the lobby of the Monaco. I would never have thought that this deep aqua shade of blue would work--but it does. In the hallways and the guest rooms, you have lots of deep brick-red and dark brown. It all comes off as very rich, very calming, very exclusive. The room itself was fantastic; I've stayed in lots of nice hotels all over the world, and I can think of none that were decorated more pleasingly.

And the location! Right there near the water, near many great restaurants and all the charm of Old Town. If you're going to visit DC, definitely consider staying in Old Town Alexandria and driving or Metroing to the tourist spots. The only thing about this hotel is that the King Street Metro is maybe .75 mile away--but via a very pleasant walk.

Thus, given those attributes, it's a shame that the Hotel Monaco is nearly ruined by the rattling, clattering air conditioners the hotel inherited from its past as a Holiday Inn. And I'm someone who loves a gentle thrumming to fall asleep to. This thing would clamber on in the wee hours; I barely got any sleep.

If only they would move these a/c units to the bathrooms, for a much-needed privacy-sparing noisemaker, given the lack of any active blower-vent. The latter are also good for reducing the steam level, so that you can see yourself in the mirror after a shower.

To top it off, there was a lot of door slamming. I know; the hotel can't be blamed for the actions of its guests. But when I left at around 7:30 AM, I saw an employee leave a door at the end of the hallway--and let it slam shut behind him. Management, are you reading this? Train your staff to shut doors gently!

The TV was overall great, but there was no TV Guide channel, and the Discovery Channel was not working. We did get HBO, though.

The pool's heating mechanism was broken, and no one at the front desk mentioned this. I only found out when I went to the pool and stuck my foot in; the water was probably about 65 degrees--which feels really cold. I couldn't go in.

The fitness center is pathetic. Two treadmills, two elliptical trainers, a weird cable/pulley machine, and a rack of very small dumbbells. If you're a middle-aged, flabby business person, it's enough. If you're a youthful, athletic person who wants a real workout, it's not.

Despite these problems, I'm really rooting for the Hotel Monaco. And I think it could be a truly outstanding hotel if it were to fix these problems. But a noisy a/c is not merely an annoyance; it prevents the guest from actually sleeping--and no amount of beautiful decor can make up for that.

TIP: Park for $4 per overnight (if you get out by 8 AM) in the nearby municipal garage.

Great Thai food at My Thai, just down King Street.

Stayed August 2008
Monaco-Alexandria, Assistant General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2008
Dear WashDCman,

As Assistant General Manager of the Hotel Monaco Alexandria I wanted to write and thank you for the comments you provided regarding your recent experience at our property. As a new hotel in the community we are very grateful for the feedback of our guests. I was very happy to read about the positive aspects of your stay. I agree that the renovation is beautiful and we are very proud of the look of our Living Room and common areas. I’ll be glad to pass along your feedback to our design team; I think they deserve a raise as well.

While concerned about the negative aspects of your stay, I’m happy you shared them with us, as they allow us to continually improve our product. I am sorry about the frustration you had with the air conditioning in your room and assure you that our work continues in replacing and repairing the AC units in the room so we bring that matter to a fast conclusion.

I also want to thank you for your feedback regarding the noise in the corridors. Your direct feedback was the subject of a training session for our Guest Services and Housekeeping teams about the impact their behavior can have on a guest’s experience. We are certainly listening and we are acting on your feedback. I also want to let you know that just this morning we delivered a new heater for our pool to our roof via crane. We expect that issue to be resolved quickly as well.

WashDCman, thank you again for your feedback. I’m very happy that you’ve provided us with feedback to improve our hotel and even happier that you’re rooting for us. If there’s any further assistance I can provide regarding your stay, please don’t hesitate in contacting me at the hotel.

The Hotel Monaco Alexandria
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2008

Our experience was very similiar to the other reviewers. Hotel decor and amenities in the rooms are wonderful. Location is great for staying around Old Alexandria or sightseeing in DC. Unfortunately this hotel has not been completely transformed from a Holiday Inn. As others have stated...the air conditioning is primitive and it sounds like they keep putting people (us included) in rooms when they full well know the air conditioning does not work or is so noisy that you cannot think. We had the same problems with the shuttle service as others have had. Despite how the manager responded to a previous review....the hotel staff repeatedly tells you that the shuttle service is available from the metro...however when you call to get a ride they tell you that that service is not available. Despite what the manager says...there was no scheduled metro pickup service when we were there. The hotel also has a very nice indoor pool. Great for swimming laps. Unfortunately I was only able to use it once. There are no pool hours posted. When I tried to use it the pool was closed and when I called the front desk to find out what the hours were...the answer was...we are trying to figure that out. I am not one to write reviews, However after reading the Hotel Managers comments on this website I felt compelled to validate what others have said. If the local management team accepts these critiques and reacts positively, they can raise prices and stay sold out. (and stop giving away bottles of wine and further discounting rooms due to their poor service) If not it should go back to a Holiday Inn.

• Liked — hotel decor and room amenities
  • Disliked — air conditioning...hotel service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Dear BuckBuck 7,

Thank you as well for raising the issue of the lack of clarity regarding our shuttle service. We’ve been reviewing this issue; there has been frustration for our guests not only in clear communication of the policies of our shuttle, but also in our ability to provide comprehensive shuttle service for all of our guests with only 2 vans. As a result of the feedback by guests such as you, we’ve completely revamped our shuttle service. We are now running daily scheduled service to and from Reagan National Airport between the hours of 7:00am and 10:30pm. We are discontinuing shuttle service to the Metro Station, as the City of Alexandria is now providing a free shuttle along King Street between the Potomac and the Metro Station. We feel that’s a better option for our guests, as that shuttle service is more frequent. In addition we’ve updated our hotel’s website to reflect the full details of these changes, alerted our central reservations department and our travel partner websites. This should resolve the frustration you encountered during your stay.

BuckBuck 7, thank you again for your comments. I’m very happy that you’ve provided us with feedback to improve our hotel. We agree that discounts and bottles of wine are not the answer to guest challenges, good responsive service from our team is a better solution. If there’s any further assistance I can provide regarding your stay, please don’t hesitate in contacting me at the hotel.

Best Wishes,

The Hotel Monaco Alexandria

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!