“Cool Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Fredericksburg, Virginia
“Cool Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2008

My husband and I just came home from a night's stay at Hotel Monaco. We loved it! The hotel lobby was beautifully decorated and the rooms were very chic - great colors and nicely decorated. The bathroom was huge and the shower had great water pressure. As a member of the Kimpton guest loyalty program, we had complimentary spring water and a tray of goodies awaiting us along with a handwritten note welcoming us to the hotel.
The hotel is perfectly located on King Street to walk to all the of the shops and restaurants and we took the free "King Street Trolley" all the way up to the metro stop and went into D.C for the day.

We would definitely stay here again.

• Liked — Cool decor
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2008

I'm a big fan of the Kimpton chain. Like its other hotels, Hotel Monaco has a stunning, distinctively colorful interior that is a refreshing change from the beige on beige of business hotels. Yet the Holiday Inn that this hotel replaced in January still lurks in a few important ways.

GOOD: Gorgeous lobby and rooms; fantastic location; very clean; nice robes in closets; great bed; fantastic water pressure in shower; L'Occitane bath products; no street noise in rooms facing courtyard; balcony; free coffee and tea in the lobby; New York Times delivered to room!

BAD: Very noisy air conditioner; no Discovery Channel; heater for swimming pool broken; no door chain or latch (though there is a deadbolt and peephole); slamming of hallway doors by staff and guests; no bathroom blower vent!

Whoever Kimpton has hired to do its interior design deserves a raise. I was wowed by the lobby of the Monaco. I would never have thought that this deep aqua shade of blue would work--but it does. In the hallways and the guest rooms, you have lots of deep brick-red and dark brown. It all comes off as very rich, very calming, very exclusive. The room itself was fantastic; I've stayed in lots of nice hotels all over the world, and I can think of none that were decorated more pleasingly.

And the location! Right there near the water, near many great restaurants and all the charm of Old Town. If you're going to visit DC, definitely consider staying in Old Town Alexandria and driving or Metroing to the tourist spots. The only thing about this hotel is that the King Street Metro is maybe .75 mile away--but via a very pleasant walk.

Thus, given those attributes, it's a shame that the Hotel Monaco is nearly ruined by the rattling, clattering air conditioners the hotel inherited from its past as a Holiday Inn. And I'm someone who loves a gentle thrumming to fall asleep to. This thing would clamber on in the wee hours; I barely got any sleep.

If only they would move these a/c units to the bathrooms, for a much-needed privacy-sparing noisemaker, given the lack of any active blower-vent. The latter are also good for reducing the steam level, so that you can see yourself in the mirror after a shower.

To top it off, there was a lot of door slamming. I know; the hotel can't be blamed for the actions of its guests. But when I left at around 7:30 AM, I saw an employee leave a door at the end of the hallway--and let it slam shut behind him. Management, are you reading this? Train your staff to shut doors gently!

The TV was overall great, but there was no TV Guide channel, and the Discovery Channel was not working. We did get HBO, though.

The pool's heating mechanism was broken, and no one at the front desk mentioned this. I only found out when I went to the pool and stuck my foot in; the water was probably about 65 degrees--which feels really cold. I couldn't go in.

The fitness center is pathetic. Two treadmills, two elliptical trainers, a weird cable/pulley machine, and a rack of very small dumbbells. If you're a middle-aged, flabby business person, it's enough. If you're a youthful, athletic person who wants a real workout, it's not.

Despite these problems, I'm really rooting for the Hotel Monaco. And I think it could be a truly outstanding hotel if it were to fix these problems. But a noisy a/c is not merely an annoyance; it prevents the guest from actually sleeping--and no amount of beautiful decor can make up for that.

TIP: Park for $4 per overnight (if you get out by 8 AM) in the nearby municipal garage.

Great Thai food at My Thai, just down King Street.

Stayed August 2008
Monaco-Alexandria, Assistant General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 6, 2008
Dear WashDCman,

As Assistant General Manager of the Hotel Monaco Alexandria I wanted to write and thank you for the comments you provided regarding your recent experience at our property. As a new hotel in the community we are very grateful for the feedback of our guests. I was very happy to read about the positive aspects of your stay. I agree that the renovation is beautiful and we are very proud of the look of our Living Room and common areas. I’ll be glad to pass along your feedback to our design team; I think they deserve a raise as well.

While concerned about the negative aspects of your stay, I’m happy you shared them with us, as they allow us to continually improve our product. I am sorry about the frustration you had with the air conditioning in your room and assure you that our work continues in replacing and repairing the AC units in the room so we bring that matter to a fast conclusion.

I also want to thank you for your feedback regarding the noise in the corridors. Your direct feedback was the subject of a training session for our Guest Services and Housekeeping teams about the impact their behavior can have on a guest’s experience. We are certainly listening and we are acting on your feedback. I also want to let you know that just this morning we delivered a new heater for our pool to our roof via crane. We expect that issue to be resolved quickly as well.

WashDCman, thank you again for your feedback. I’m very happy that you’ve provided us with feedback to improve our hotel and even happier that you’re rooting for us. If there’s any further assistance I can provide regarding your stay, please don’t hesitate in contacting me at the hotel.

The Hotel Monaco Alexandria
Tampa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2008

Our experience was very similiar to the other reviewers. Hotel decor and amenities in the rooms are wonderful. Location is great for staying around Old Alexandria or sightseeing in DC. Unfortunately this hotel has not been completely transformed from a Holiday Inn. As others have stated...the air conditioning is primitive and it sounds like they keep putting people (us included) in rooms when they full well know the air conditioning does not work or is so noisy that you cannot think. We had the same problems with the shuttle service as others have had. Despite how the manager responded to a previous review....the hotel staff repeatedly tells you that the shuttle service is available from the metro...however when you call to get a ride they tell you that that service is not available. Despite what the manager says...there was no scheduled metro pickup service when we were there. The hotel also has a very nice indoor pool. Great for swimming laps. Unfortunately I was only able to use it once. There are no pool hours posted. When I tried to use it the pool was closed and when I called the front desk to find out what the hours were...the answer was...we are trying to figure that out. I am not one to write reviews, However after reading the Hotel Managers comments on this website I felt compelled to validate what others have said. If the local management team accepts these critiques and reacts positively, they can raise prices and stay sold out. (and stop giving away bottles of wine and further discounting rooms due to their poor service) If not it should go back to a Holiday Inn.

• Liked — hotel decor and room amenities
  • Disliked — air conditioning...hotel service
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Dear BuckBuck 7,

Thank you as well for raising the issue of the lack of clarity regarding our shuttle service. We’ve been reviewing this issue; there has been frustration for our guests not only in clear communication of the policies of our shuttle, but also in our ability to provide comprehensive shuttle service for all of our guests with only 2 vans. As a result of the feedback by guests such as you, we’ve completely revamped our shuttle service. We are now running daily scheduled service to and from Reagan National Airport between the hours of 7:00am and 10:30pm. We are discontinuing shuttle service to the Metro Station, as the City of Alexandria is now providing a free shuttle along King Street between the Potomac and the Metro Station. We feel that’s a better option for our guests, as that shuttle service is more frequent. In addition we’ve updated our hotel’s website to reflect the full details of these changes, alerted our central reservations department and our travel partner websites. This should resolve the frustration you encountered during your stay.

BuckBuck 7, thank you again for your comments. I’m very happy that you’ve provided us with feedback to improve our hotel. We agree that discounts and bottles of wine are not the answer to guest challenges, good responsive service from our team is a better solution. If there’s any further assistance I can provide regarding your stay, please don’t hesitate in contacting me at the hotel.

Best Wishes,

The Hotel Monaco Alexandria
Palm Harbor, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2008

Very nice hotel in an excellent location for tourists visiting DC. Staff very friendly and tried to be helpful but no one is on the "same page". Either poor training or poor management. AC in our room was not functioning properly. Temp would not go below 72 and compressor not working as humidity remained in room with outside temps at 90-95. Clothes always damp and we'd wake up in a sweat. All hallways very warm. Complained daily but only got "I'm sorry" from management. Our five day stay was not pleasant and manager decided to comp us one day for our trouble.
Also, hotel has a shuttle to DC Metro and the morning trip to the Metro was excellent with the driver and front desk assuring us to just call when we return to the Metro station and they'll pick us up. Upon returning we called and were told that they don't pick up and we'd have to take a taxi. Consequently, we would not stay there again because of the various problems, miscommunication and poor management We expected more quality from Kimpton..

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — poor management
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2008

I just spent two nights at this property and it was top notch from check-in until check-out.

I arrived at the hotel much earlier than anticipated (10 a.m.) and I did not expect an early check-in. When I reserved the room I requested a room on a high floor that was away from the elevator and QUIET. Noting this request, the person at the check-in desk said that a suitable room was not available, but that they could store my luggage, take my cell phone number, and call me as soon as the room was ready.

She said that the occupants of my room had requested a late check-out, but it appeared that they were not going to need it. She called someone on the cleaning staff and told them to make my room a priority. I left and walked along King Street, had lunch, and returned to the hotel. I expected to sit on one of the sofas or plush lobby chairs to wait, but within a very short time she called me and provided the room keys, had my bags readied, and I was on my way to the room by 1:30 p.m.

The room was large and well appointed. The marbled bathroom was actually two rooms with one area with the sink and another with the tub and toilet. L'Occitane toiletires were provided. There were lots of plush towels, a small toiletry jar with Q-tips and cotton balls.

There was a closet in the bedroom. It contained a safe, an ironing board an iron and an umbrella--nice touch! There were three robes, all wild animal prints. One was short and two were long. There were some other items for sale that were in plastic bags--silk pjs and boxers--and I pushed them to one side. I was only there for a brief stay, but there was adequate room for my needs.

There was an entertainment stand with three drawers on one side and a mini bar on the other that held the nice flat screen television. A clock radio with ipod dock was playing NPS when I entered the room and a plate containing fruit and chocolate was waiting for me.

In addition to the cold items in the mini-bar--lots of drinks--there was an assortment of items including razor, toothbrush, first aid kit, intimacy kit, chocolate, nuts, candies, etc. for sale. I was very appreciative of these items even though I did not purchase any of them.

There were two fabric-covered footstools at the end of the bed, a desk with a nice desk chair, and a chaise. There were two bedside tables on either side of the king bed.

There was a trash can for recyclable items which I thought was wonderful. And best of all, there were real fresh flowers in the bathroom and in the bedroom and a live goldfish in a small round bowl on the desk. A card by the fish said his name was Peewee.

All in all the decor and the amenities of the room were excellent.

The room (#533) was quiet. I did not notice any annoyance from the air conditioner. The temperatures in the public area were fine to me. On Saturday a young man set up on the sidewalk across from the hotel with upturned buckets and he played "drums" there for several hours. I could hear this noise but he played at a reasonable hour so it did not disrupt my sleep and his playing was not something the hotel could control.

I enjoyed the Saturday market at the govt plaza near the hotel and i had breakfast in the hotel restaurant. The breakfast was fine--nothing stellar.

I did order room service one night and the person who responded had a difficult time understanding my order. His English was not good and the conversation was difficult with my repeating things and his asking me things I could not understand. It was probably as frustrating for him as it was for me. I had a burger and a salad and both were fine. The dessert I received did not match what I thought I ordered. I gave up getting the person to understand that I wanted a pinot noir and finally agreed to a merlot. The food was fine--no complaints.

When I checked out the clerk gave me a receipt without my asking for it. She asked if I needed an envelope for my receipt and if I needed transportation. I told her I planned to get a taxi at the stand out front. I went out and into a cab to go to the airport.I had seen the shuttle arriving and leaving the hotel during my entire stay and I knew that it offered rides to the airport, but I also knew that I might have a wait and/or I might have to wait while other guests disembarked at concourses other than my own so I wanted the speed of a taxi. I intended to fly out on an earlier flight if possible.

There was free Internet in the room and I used it with no difficulty. There was free coffee and hot tea in the lobby every morning.

The hotel was very convenient to the many shops and dining options of Old Town Alexandria. It was within a few blocks of the water taxi departure and arrival dock.

If I am in this area again I will not hesitate to choose the Monaco. The price was less than most of the other properties I checked and there were more amenities than offered at the other spots. I did not use the pool or the business center so I can not remark on them.

• Liked — Free Internet!
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Waterloo, Iowa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

After reading all these fantastic reviews, I was so thrilled at the fantastic rate my colleagues and I had for the Monaco. Having stayed in other Kimpton/Monaco hotels, I knew that this would be a great stay. However, despite the cool décor in the rooms and lobby, the comfy beds and the HDTV in the room, my stay was less than wonderful. My message to fellow reviewers... did we stay at the same hotel?

-Air Conditioning
The air conditioning system in the hotel is primitive. The units in the room are so noisy; one must turn them off at night in order to get a good night's sleep. The choice is either to sleep and sweat or stay awake serenaded the sound of a lawn mower. I was going to complain, but after talking with my colleagues and other guests, I discovered all the rooms were like that. The public areas of the property were not air conditioned. The hallways were sweltering and the lobby was quite “tropical”. If there was a heat wave, it could be forgiven however the temperatures outdoors during that time were average.

-Business Center
Two computers and a printer do not a business center make. The charges for printing and internet access could be simply classified as "price gouging.” Almost 2 dollars a page for printing and 6 dollars for 15 minutes of Internet access? In this day and age most hotels offer such services at much lesser rates, or at no additional cost.

-Receipt
The front desk refused to give me a receipt for my stay even though I booked directly through the hotel. If I had not been late for my flight, I would have pressed the issue. This was totally unprofessional. My colleagues had the same problem. One colleague was billed twice and fought (and won) her right to a receipt.

-Shuttle Service
On two occasions, when requesting a shuttle pick up from the metro station, the female staff member on the phone refused to send the shuttle and told me to take the public bus. A colleague called for airport pickup and was left there for over an hour until she was forced to take a cab (Although the hotel did reimburse her). I found upon multiple inquiries about the shuttle service, it seems that the staff are reluctant to offer this service. They tended to hemm and haw and implied that the shuttle was not available. One staff member had no idea that the shuttle dropped off at the Metro station. The moral of this story is: if you don't want to offer a service, please DO NOT ADVERTISE OR TELL GUESTS THAT SUCH A SERVICE EXISTS!

-Room
I did not have a closet in my room. The armoires are not large enough for even one guest. In the armoires are dozens of items for sale…from naughty underwear to threadbare bathrobes. I had to stuff all the sale items in the drawers so I could hang up my suits. There were so many items in the armoire that it was impossible to use most of it.

All in all, this was a disappointing stay. We had been staying at the Hampton Inn up the street, but we thought the Monaco would be a change of pace. The Monaco is pretty on the outside, but under all the expensive décor is a worn down hotel with a staff that seems just a worn down. The Monaco is a minimum service, older property and should be priced and advertised as such.

• Liked — The beds, bathroom and the TV were fabulous!
  • Disliked — The lack of services, overpriced Internet, air conditioning, shuttle services
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Monaco-Alexandria, Assistant General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2008
Dear tomreidmiller,

Thank you for your comments; as a new property we truly value your feedback in order to continually refine our product and services. However, as Assistant General Manager of the Hotel Monaco Alexandria, I was concerned about the challenges you experienced during your stay.

We recognize the problems that some of the air conditioning units in our rooms have presented and are currently in the midst of a project to replace those AC’s that are not capable of maintaining a comfortable temperature. I’m happy to report that the replacement units have arrived on our property and we are scheduling the installation of them to correct that issue. It’s our goal to have them installed as quickly as possible.

I appreciate your feedback regarding our business center. The equipment in that facility is outsourced and maintained by a professional IT firm. The fees charged for the use of the computers and printers are to pay for the costs of the IT support service and replacement of toners, supplies and hardware as needed. It’s never our goal to force unnecessary charges on our guests; as with every Kimpton property we are always happy to print items such as boarding passes at our Concierge Desk at no charge.

However, I was most concerned about the perception of a lack of response to your requests. I do assure you that as we advertise, the Hotel Monaco Alexandria offers complimentary shuttle service to both the Metro Station on King Street and Reagan National Airport. These services are on a regular timed schedule, rather than on-demand, due to the fact that we do not have a fleet of vans. This may have been the challenge your colleague experienced, however I’m happy that our Guest Services team did respond to assist her with the cab. In between those shuttle times we do recommend as an option the free City of Alexandria shuttle. It appears as if we did not fully explain the scope of our services and all of the options we could assist you with. I’m truly sorry that did not happen and assure you that we’ll use it as a learning experience for our Front Desk staff.

Thank you for your feedback, if there are any other questions I may answer I would welcome your contacting me directly at the Hotel Monaco Alexandria; it would be my pleasure to assist you. We truly appreciate your comments, as they will continually allow us to review and improve our property for future guests of our hotel.

Best Wishes,

Assistant General Manager
Hotel Monaco Alexandria
Bay Area, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2008

Just spent three nights here. This was my second stay (was there a few months back in colder weather). The atmosphere and location of the hotel are great. The decorating in the lobby and rooms is festive. The staff are friendly and they try (with a glitch here or there). The beds are comfortable and everything is new, up-to-date, (TVs, internet service, IPod radio, bathrooms) and tastefully luxurious. Having stayed in this hotel in its previous incarnation as a Holiday Inn, one cannot say enough about how fantastic a transformation this is. The one good carryover from the Holiday Inn is the bring-your-dog happy hours they have in the courtyard. Very cute.

Lest this sound too perfect, two areas of warning. First, some rooms can be noisy. This last visit, we changed rooms because the air conditioner made a dreadful racket (and we like our room not that cold). We were moved to another nice room and eventually realized that unfortunately we were behind the elevator bank - which made a clunking noise every time an elevator was engaged (i.e. almost constantly). I strongly recommend avoiding all rooms ending with "10." Another warning - I have yet to hear anybody say anything great about the restaurant. I had breakfast there (OK) and friends who live in the area have been disappointed when they've eaten there. The restaurant atmosphere is dull and sterile compared to the rest of the hotel. (Fortunately, great restaurants are mere steps/blocks away.)

• Liked — Atmosphere
  • Disliked — Noisiness of some rooms
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!