“Staff Makes the Difference between Mediocre and Bad” 3 of 5 stars

Give Yourself Some Credit
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
New York
“Staff Makes the Difference between Mediocre and Bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2013

Sometimes if you're at a mediocre or borderline hotel, the staff can make the experience much more pleasant. Or conversely, the staff at this hotel managed to take mediocre and convince me I don't ever want to come back.

The hotel isn't awful. No coffee maker in the room, no armchair to sit and read in. a mini bar and fridge filled with their items (an expensive) so no room to put your own drink or fruit. The room has a sickly sweet potpurri smell when you enter - I saw a maid spraying something over the carpets when I walked past an open door - but you get used to it. Beds are ok - bathroom is large and roomy. Internet is charged (unless you're a Loyalty member) - solidly in the mediocre level.
But when I arrived the desk personnel were sort of cordial but seriously disinterested. I needed to print one page of directions, so I went in search of the Business Center. Badly marked, but I found it. $7.95 for 15 minutes to use the computer. Did I mention I'm a member of the Loyalty Club? Makes no difference. After ten minutes of trying to figure this out, I went to the desk. Their response - without even a pretense of being interested - was to direct me to a Staples about three long blocks away. When I noted for the record that I have seldom been in a hotel that charged $7.95 to print one page, I was told I could email them my page and they would print it. Of course, that would involve using the computer at $7.95 for 15 minutes.
I ended up writing out the directions by hand.
At that point I was not about to spend money at their restaurant and found a GREAT burger joint. My feelings about this place were such that I even skipped the wine tasting in the lobby. The place has a great location - they just need different people.

Room Tip: Try another hotel? If you are committed to this place, go up, since street noise does come through f...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear RhinoJohn,

Thank you for your business, and for taking the time to share your feedback here. I'm very sorry that we left you with this impression and that we didn't find a quicker and easier solution for your request to have an item printed.

We have a great team here and I know that they can provide you with the level of service that would make you rate this hotel as excellent, you're right that the people make the difference and this team can show you what we are capable of! We would very much like another opportunity to serve you in the future if you are willing to give us another try.

Please email me at your convenience at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com if I may be of assistance to you.

Matt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

We will return to this hotel...absolutely! We were greeted by a warm and friendly front desk. We were a few minutes early and were treated to complimentary drinks in the restaurant while we waited (they also checked our bags). We didn't even need to check on our room as they came and found us when it was ready. Then came one of the best parts....the room! We were upgraded to a huge suite with a dream bathroom! The room was quiet, extremely clean, and very comfortable. We loved the decor...one of our favorite things about Kimptons. It's funky, eclectic, comfortable and non intimidating. We mentioned that we were celebrating the upcoming birth of our child and the room was set with candles, music, chocolate covered strawberries, sparkling cider, baby lotion, and cards from the staff! Cheers to you Kimpton for a very memorable stay!

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear slp2003,

Thank you for staying with us and congratulations on the coming baby!! Great to hear the staff did a wonderful job helping you celebrate!

Take care and bring the baby back with you next year!

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Just returned from a 11/1/13-11/3/13 stay at this hotel.
The pluses: Nice hotel with well appointed rooms. Wine hour in the lobby is a nice touch. Good central location for exploring Alexandria. Staff was all incredibly nice and helpful. Made my young daughter feel special with a fish in the room and her own large chalkboard (with a welcome message) to play with.
The minuses: Repeated issues with the television, though the staff was responsive in addressing the problems. Constant and loud hallway noise, though this is likely because our room was directly on the path to get to the pool. Don't anticipate this being a problem if you ask not to be on that stretch of the 3rd floor. While central for Alexandria, those not familiar with DC should be aware that it is a cab or Metro ride to the main downtown DC attractions. Not a huge deal, just be aware. While going over my credit card statement I noticed an extra charge a few days after our stay. Called to see what it was for and was charged for a razor and shaving cream from the minibar we did not use (it is worth noting that they will provide these items to you for FREE if you just call and ask, so we certainly had no reason to take these items). Annoying to have to address, but to their credit they did remove the charge when I called.

Overall, a very nice property and we would definitely consider staying here again the next time we are in the area.

Room Tip: Ask to be away from the elevators and off the route to the pool for a quieter experience.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear TeamG2010,

Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your feedback here. We really apprecaite the kind words about the staff, and I am glad to hear they fixed our error in billing although I am sorry it happened in the first place.

Enjoy your travels and please make us part of your plans in the future!

Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Have stayed here twice and really enjoyed both trips. The location is great - just on the Alexandria 'High Street' with lovely bars and shops within the immediate vicinity, and you can take an enjoyable run down to the riverside area. The staff, the service and the food is of a consistently high standard - the crab cake breakfast was a memorable favourite for me. I would suggest it is suitable for all types of travellers and would use it for business or families.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Dear Mark S,

What a great review and recommendation, thank you very much! Appreciate your business and we do hope to see you again soon.

Safe Travels,

Midwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We loved this place-- a perfect location in Old Town Alexandria. The hotel suited our personalities with the fun bold colors and our room was very clean and comfortable. We enjoyed doing our yoga poses in the room every morning using the yoga mats provided. The wine tasting and coffee were nice perks. .The value of this hotel was very reasonable and I would definitely stay here again when I visit DC.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Dear kala28,

Thanks for choossing us for the Girl's getaway weekend! I'm glad to hear that all went well, and that our fun/eccletic vibe was a perfect fit!

Great to hear you will be back, we look forward to it!

Take care,

Ithaca, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

This hotel is fantastic! Very clean, modern, nicely decorated rooms. The staff were wonderful and highly accommodating. Located right in the heart of Alexandria with so much to do only a short walk away (only a few blocks to the water too!). Special kudos for the free wine happy hour and delicious morning coffee. Our only complaint would be the lack of counter space in the bathroom (but this is a small complaint).

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Kristin P,

Thank you for this wondeful review! I will pass along the comments to the team, whom I'm sure will be very appreciative!

Thank you for staying with us, please do come back soon.

Raleigh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

This is a great place to stay if you are visiting the historic area of Alexandria. The whole area has an exciting vibe. There are many places within walking distance to eat, shop and on the week-end a great market in the plaza close by. I recommend the parking lot around the corner as it is much cheaper than the hotel parking. We were there for a family wedding and the food served for the reception was excellent. I don't know about the main dining rooms. I love dogs, but am not sure I love staying in a hotel that allows them in the rooms although our room on the 5th floor didn't show any sign of pet visitors. Perhaps they keep them on a separate floor. Our room didn't have a great view, but it was quiet and newspapers were delivered in the morning.

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the 5th floor. It was a long way from the elevator, but that kept down any h...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear NoFo,

Thank you for staying with us! You're right, Old Town Alexandria has a great vibe to it and a ton to offer, we are fortunate to be so centrally located in this great little destination.

Thank you again and safe travels!

Matt

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!