“Awesome!” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Vancouver, Canada
“Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Stayed here for 5 days on a recent business trip. Very happy with this hotel. Although it is in a small historic building, room was very large and very modern and comfortable. Had all the usual nice Kimpton touches -- the awesome minibar, free internet, nice soap & shampoo.

Location is great, on King Street in the middle of Old Town Alexandria, walking to everything. Metro was 15-min walk via King Street, or there is a free shuttle bus. Had a nice run along the Potomac.

Only drawbacks -- parking was expensive ($25 / night) and very cramped, it would be hard to get a large vehicle into the garage. Also, the lobby was always super crowded and noisy -- it didn't in any way affect sleep quality, but would not be a relaxing place to hang out.

Room Tip: Try to get the top floor, seemed like slightly quieter, and nice view over Old Town rooftops
Green Features: I appreciate the recycling in the rooms, otherwise honestly I don't really notice
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear PlannerGeek,

Thanks for your business! And for taking the time to share your feedback here, we appreciate it!

We hope to see more of you if your business continues to bring you our way.

Take care,

1,114 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Fredericksburg, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

People serve with a smile and the location is great for shopping. The decor is not my taste but don't let that stop you from staying here. Valet parking is fast and easy. Restaurants are close and there is a lot to do Old Town.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear omesatexas,

Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing such kind feedback about the staff. They are a great team and will definitely appreciate hearing this!

Safe Travels and take care,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Absolutely lovely hotel.. The customer service here is totally 5 stars, from the front door guys to checking in. There is not enough the staff can do here. We left our car here while we traveled, and they took such great care-enough to notify us, making sure we were away. The staff is outstanding along with the management team here. The rooms were comfortable and roomy. Lots of attention to details. Once we arrived back and called for a pick-up the gentlemen was so upset, that we were later than the shuttle runs, he made several suggestions on getting back to the hotel. We had another Fabulous night before heading home. Can not wait to come back! This is a place to call home and nothing is too much for the wonderful team!

Room Tip: We stayed in two different rooms and both were EXCELLENT!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Doslocosguyspvrmx,

This is wonderful, thank you so much for this fantastic feedback regarding the team. We are truly fortunate to have such great people here who are committed to creating personal connections with our guests and providing them excellent customer service.

Sicklerville
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

Hotel does not have the normal décor ,a bit dark but very attractive pieces in the lobby. It created an atmosphere conducive to sitting and chatting. The evening free wine tasting was a draw for many. Stayed two nights this past weekend.Great location,clean and spacious room/bath,Staff very helpful and pleasant and accommodating. Elevators were very quick .On site parking a bit pricey but I guess you have to consider the location.

Room Tip: 3rd flr corner was very quiet,had a alcove entrance which was shared with another room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear helens991,

Glad to hear that you appreciated the decor and the feel of the lobby, that is inviting for folks to sit and enjoy. Thank you for the kind words, and for your business! We appreciate it!

Safe Travels,

Detroit
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I am a huge Kimpton fan...and everything about the Monaco Alexandria was great except the staff...they just weren't as pleasant as they normally are. Not just the front desk staff but even the bellmen, nobody seemed happy. Maybe it was the weather.

Room Tip: The sixth floor rooms (at least the one I had) have one very small window, high up on the wall.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear Dave707,

Thank you for staying with us, and for being a loyal Kimpton guest!

I'm really sorry however that we came across this way, providing personalized service and going above and beyond for our guests is something that we take a lot of pride in. I regret that we did not leave you with that perception, it is not ok for us to be off our game at any time.

Please do try us again, I know that we can provide you with that high level of service you have come accustomed to at Kimpton.

Thanks again and take care,

Lakeland, TN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed here last weekend and found the atmosphere warm and friendly, however they seem to forget requests such as the extra blanket we asked for in advance and though the goldfish in your room is a somewhat humorous amenity, they never delivered it when requested. Dogs are great and considered a family member by some, including the Monaco, and they are treated as such with numerous food and water bowls spread about the public spaces; near your table in the sidewalk cafe. I'm sure I didn't understand the correct purpose of the plastic fire hydrant inside the front entry. I'm sure male dogs aren't availing themselves of that amenity inside the front door! The guestroom furnishings are plesant and utilitarian, like the large mirrors and big chase lounge. The bed was good medium firmness and comfortable. Bath amenities were upscale. I'd stay again, moreover if I had a doggy family member no doubt this would be number one on my list.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front view King street activities. Inside rooms on the east side have great looking la...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear tnhighroad,

Thank you for including us in your weekend plans! We appreciate your business and your feedback here.

Please accept my apologies for our lack of follow through on those requested items, I have followed up with our team to ensure we have our proper systems in place to avoid this in the future.

To solve the mystery, the small red fire hydrant inside the front door is a doggie-treat dispenser - really, everyone should have one!

Thanks again and take care,

Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I was really looking forward to this hotel stay but found it to be overall average and a little disappointing.
Staff at check in did explain about parking, how the drink card works, and did not give us our breakfast cards. Once I went and got them they did explain how they worked. The staff at Jackson 20 gave me more information than the front desk staff did during my visit.
Housekeeping never vacuumed the room because I found chips on the floor Friday and Saturday. The maid on Friday did not refresh the bathroom body wash and lotion. On Saturday the maid did not leave us a new ice bag and did not put the pillows on the bed but left them in the chase.
I asked for the USA Today but we received the New York Times and the mattress could be refreshed. On Friday morning, I called the front desk about the air conditioning making a nose that kept us up during the night. I do not know if anyone can to look at it because it still made the noise and no from the hotel staff never followed up.
The décor is very chic but the staff needs to be refreshed about how to deal better with new customer or ask all customers if the know how your hotel works. I choose your hotel for location and it appeared to be a nicer hotel for our 23 rd anniversary but we left disappointed with our overall first experience with Kimpton Hotels.
I normally checkout Tripadvisor for everything but this was the first time I did not and I am sorry. I noticed once I got home that the hotel never really address any of the concerns but ask the custom to call them. The hotel should have our number so why do they not reach out to us. I will never make this mistake again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear sharondw65,

Thank you for celebrating your 23rd anniversary with us and for taking the time to share your comments here. I sincerely apologize that we fell short on a number of occasions during this stay however, we will certainly address these issues and work to avoid similar occurences in the future.

I have sent you a private email to follow up with you persoally as I was able to match your feedback with one of our internal surveys. Typically we do not have the guests' name or information from this site, which is why I ask them to contact me (it is not always discernible from their screen names).

Thank you again and I hope to speak with you soon.

Take care,

Matt

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!