“Comfortable Stay” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Lakeland, TN
“Comfortable Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

My wife and I stayed here last weekend and found the atmosphere warm and friendly, however they seem to forget requests such as the extra blanket we asked for in advance and though the goldfish in your room is a somewhat humorous amenity, they never delivered it when requested. Dogs are great and considered a family member by some, including the Monaco, and they are treated as such with numerous food and water bowls spread about the public spaces; near your table in the sidewalk cafe. I'm sure I didn't understand the correct purpose of the plastic fire hydrant inside the front entry. I'm sure male dogs aren't availing themselves of that amenity inside the front door! The guestroom furnishings are plesant and utilitarian, like the large mirrors and big chase lounge. The bed was good medium firmness and comfortable. Bath amenities were upscale. I'd stay again, moreover if I had a doggy family member no doubt this would be number one on my list.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front view King street activities. Inside rooms on the east side have great looking la...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear tnhighroad,

Thank you for including us in your weekend plans! We appreciate your business and your feedback here.

Please accept my apologies for our lack of follow through on those requested items, I have followed up with our team to ensure we have our proper systems in place to avoid this in the future.

To solve the mystery, the small red fire hydrant inside the front door is a doggie-treat dispenser - really, everyone should have one!

Thanks again and take care,

1,133 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Virginia Beach, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

I was really looking forward to this hotel stay but found it to be overall average and a little disappointing.
Staff at check in did explain about parking, how the drink card works, and did not give us our breakfast cards. Once I went and got them they did explain how they worked. The staff at Jackson 20 gave me more information than the front desk staff did during my visit.
Housekeeping never vacuumed the room because I found chips on the floor Friday and Saturday. The maid on Friday did not refresh the bathroom body wash and lotion. On Saturday the maid did not leave us a new ice bag and did not put the pillows on the bed but left them in the chase.
I asked for the USA Today but we received the New York Times and the mattress could be refreshed. On Friday morning, I called the front desk about the air conditioning making a nose that kept us up during the night. I do not know if anyone can to look at it because it still made the noise and no from the hotel staff never followed up.
The décor is very chic but the staff needs to be refreshed about how to deal better with new customer or ask all customers if the know how your hotel works. I choose your hotel for location and it appeared to be a nicer hotel for our 23 rd anniversary but we left disappointed with our overall first experience with Kimpton Hotels.
I normally checkout Tripadvisor for everything but this was the first time I did not and I am sorry. I noticed once I got home that the hotel never really address any of the concerns but ask the custom to call them. The hotel should have our number so why do they not reach out to us. I will never make this mistake again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear sharondw65,

Thank you for celebrating your 23rd anniversary with us and for taking the time to share your comments here. I sincerely apologize that we fell short on a number of occasions during this stay however, we will certainly address these issues and work to avoid similar occurences in the future.

I have sent you a private email to follow up with you persoally as I was able to match your feedback with one of our internal surveys. Typically we do not have the guests' name or information from this site, which is why I ask them to contact me (it is not always discernible from their screen names).

Thank you again and I hope to speak with you soon.

Take care,

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here on vacation in July with 3 other girls. We shared a room with two full size beds. I did wish the beds were queen sized, but they were comfortable. The hotel staff were all friendly. The hotel is beautifully decorated. Very unique furnishings. I love the fact that the hotel is dog friendly. I didn't bring my dog, but it is nice to know that such a nice hotel welcomes them. There is a courtyard in the middle of the hotel where I saw guests with their dogs. When we arrived, the headboard on one of the beds, which is attached to the wall, fell off the wall. A very nice maintainence person arrived promptly and fixed it. There are plenty of shops and restaurants located around the hotel. There is a restaurant located in the hotel, but we did not eat there. It is a bit pricey. Every night there is happy hour in the lobby
where they serve complimentary red or white wine. There is a parking garage under the hotel which I believe costs about $21.00 daily. I got a great deal on the hotel's website for free parking. There is also a reasonably priced public garage located across the street.
We were there to visit Washington D.C. We chose to take the metro into D.C. It is located at the other end of King St. which is a good walk, but we did it. There is a free trolley that runs continuously up and down King St., but it does not start until 10 am. We wanted to start touring D.C. before that. We took the trolley back to the hotel in the evening.
My only real complaint about the hotel was that we were never given enough towels and washcloths for the four people in the room despite leaving a daily tip and note to request enough for housekeeping.
I filled out a online questionnaire about my stay from the hotel, and the manager replied to my feedback to say that the hotel has a new system in place to fix that problem. Overall, I was satisfied with Hotel Monaco. I would stay there again, and I would recommend it to others.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Michelle M,

Thank you for this review! And for staying with us for your trip to the D.C. area!

I'm glad you all enjoyed your stay and found it a good home base for sightseeing in D.C. and exploring Old Town Alexandria, hopefully next time you will get a chance to try our restaurant as well!

I'm sorry about the lack of towels provided by Housekeeping, we did come up with a better system for that recently and will be more on top of it moving forward.

Hope to see you again soon!

austincoolcouple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Great hotel with an ideal location. The rooms look exactly like the photos, great toiletries. I had hoped to move up to a terrace room on arrival but alas they were all taken. Size of terrace looks great however for next time. The social hour was really fun and everyone was there! But.....the bar and bartenders at Jackson 20 were fantastic with the BEST and most fun cocktails I have ever had! We intended to bop in for a quick drink and stayed all evening. We order some appetizers (yummy) since we cancelled our reservation at another spot because we were having such a great time! Coffee in the Lobby was great-took in a to go cup and strolled to waterfront. Came back and had great breakfast on outdoor patio at Jackson 20. No drinks, haha!

• Stayed September 2013
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Dear austinitecouple,

Glad you enjoyed your stay so much! Thank you for takign the time to write this wonderful review, I definitely agree that our bartenders at Jackson 20 can make your night with fun drinks!

Next time you come we will be sure to have a Terrace room with balcony ready for you!

Take care,

Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Perfectly appointed, the Hotel Monaco Alexandria is perfect for a weekend getaway, special group function or a business meeting. The location couldn't be better, just a few miles south of Reagan National Airport in the center of Old Town Alexandria. The service is top notch, the rooms are ample -- especially the fifth floor loft suites -- and the decor is rich and warm. I will definitely come back.

Room Tip: The fifth floor loft rooms are terrific if you want to splurge.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear RAW55,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this great review! Really apprecaite the kind words, especially regarding the staff and the excellent service they provided.

Thanks again and take care,

Billings, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This is by far one of my favorite hotels. Great service, very friendly staff, unique décor and utterly charming! I can highly recommend it to travelers interested in exploring the Old Town Alexandria area. It is clean and well maintained, and the attached restaurant, the Jackson 20 restaurant is wonderful. The valets are always at the door to help and the front desk staff in very courteous and helpful.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Beamerjo,

Thank you for staying with us, and for the wonderful comments about our team! It feels great to be on the top of your list of hotels!

Thanks again,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

This place is a great place for a weekend retreat or the business traveler. The rooms and staff make it feel like you are at home. This hotel is want introduced me to the Kimpton Brand and I have become a big fan! I have sense stayed at Kimptons in Boston, Baltimore, Chicago, and Minneapolis and I love their service and rooms!

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking over King Street just to get the vib of Alexandria. Also they are dog friendl...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear Tim B,

Great to know that we introduced you to Kimpton and that you have since become hooked!! We are proud of our property and to represent Kimpton Hotel & Restaurants so well!

Thanks for staying with us, hope to see you again soon.

Matt

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!