“The Cutest Place I Have Ever Stayed” 5 of 5 stars

Upgrade Your Stay
Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
South Dakota
“The Cutest Place I Have Ever Stayed”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

We wanted a hotel within walking distance of everything in Old Town. This is one of the very few on King Street. The valet was waiting as we drove up which was perfect because it's a super crowded area there. Parking was $25 for the night, but that was more than worth it in that area and we could stay in the lot until 6pm the next evening. The lobby was adorable; so sweetly decorated, and it only got better. The room was well appointed and very chic. It was my daughter's birthday so there were amazing cupcakes and a bottle of wine waiting in the room. Never had to open a door or ask for anything. Amazing staff and a great hotel. Will stay no other place in Alexandria.

Room Tip: Ours faced King St. It was fun to look out at all the action but was not loud at night.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear cdxjr,

Thank you so much for this wonderful review! It's great to hear that everythying was seemless for your from arrival on, that really does help make guests feel welcome and I'm proud of the team for being on top of it!

Can't wait to have you come back again soon!

Matt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (285)
Iowa City, Iowa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2013

Hotel Monaco is a very nice hotel. Especially if you are a dog owner. In all of my years of travel, I have never seen a hotel where more people stayed with their dogs. Rather remarkable.

The location of this place is really nice (super easy to walk around and enjoy Old Town), and the staff provides excellent service. I will say, however, that not letting me check in an hour before the official check in time (3 pm), despite the fact that I was ill from my plane flight kind of sucked. However, once I checked in, all was well.

Dear banned_in_austin,

Thanks very much for staying with us, we apprecaite your business! Thanks for the kind words about the hotel as well, although I am sorry that we were not able to accomodate the early check-in this time. We certainly will allow early arrivals at anytime as long as we have the rooms ready, I apologize that we were not able to make this happen in your experience this time.

Hope to see you again soon, and travel safe!

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Perfectly located in walkable Old Town in Alexandria, VA, this property caters to all of their guests. They presented a live "gold fish" to my 5 year old great niece & called her Princess every time they saw her - she was in Heaven! Service is outstanding, happy hour is wonderful and did I mention their "doggy happy hour" ?

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Lois O,

It's important to keep the kids happy, isn't it! Thanks so much for taking the time to share these wonderful comments and for bringing your family to stay with us. I'm really glad that you all enjoyed the hotel and your time in Old Town Alexandria.

Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

I have stayed in many hotels in many parts of the world but I always look forward to going back to the Kimpton Monaco. The lobby and rooms are electic, warm and welcoming. The complmentary lobby wine hour is a great way to end a busy day. The rooms are impecablly clean and well decorated. The staff are genuinely interested in your well being. Always attentive and polite and always willing to assist. This is truly a home away from home, not sterile and basic like most 'corporate' hotels.

Room Tip: I stayed in a small suite in room 503. It had a huge and a I mean huge spa for two plus a large walk...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Canada8160,

Thank you so much for the kind words! It really is apprecaited especially from a seasoned traveler such as yourself.

We strive to stand apart from your normal hotel experience, both in the decor/vibe of the hotel, and the personalized service from our staff. Thanks for sharing that we have succeeded in your experience!

Take care and see you soon,

Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

This is a pretty hotel, typical Hotel Monaco decor that I've seen in other cities. It's a great location in Old Town Alexandria, close to shopping, restaurants, the river. Warning: no hotel shuttle for late arrivals from the airport, which is a bummer because DC taxi drivers love to rip you off (as I was). You can take the metro from the airport to King Street Station. There is a free trolley that picks you up and can deposit you right in front of the hotel, but the trolley only runs limited hours, so for late arrivals or early flights, you're stuck with a taxi.

My room was beautiful & spacious. The bed was horribly lumpy & saggy--time for the hotel to change mattresses. Wireless internet was fast. The lone window in the room is tiny and difficult to get a view of anything unless you're six feet tall.

The staff was nice, but just not up to part with the usual Kimpton grace & can-do-anything-for-you attitude that I've found at so many other Kimpton properties. The doorman was often too busy chatting away with his cab driver friends to bother opening the door for you. Or stood inside the lobby and greeted you hello as you struggled with your bags coming in or going out. No bellman that I could find.

I do like that this is a pet-friendly hotel and has free wireless for Kimpton loyalty program members. I don't like that there is no in-room coffee service. The first thing I want when I wake up is coffee, but the last thing I want is to go downstairs in my robe with my morning breath & crazy hair to the lobby to go get it.

Overall, the hotel is beautiful and nicely appointed, but the service is a bit lacking. I belong to both Kimpton and Starwood loyalty programs, so next time I might choose a Starwood property instead.

Room Tip: ask to be away from the elevator & the ice machine. you can hear everything through the door.
Dear jeaniebeanie74,

First of all, great pic for your TripAdvisor account - love it!

More to the point however, thank you for staying with us and for sharing your commets here. We are fortunate to have a great hotel in a fantastic location, and we just upgraded our wifi bandwith and speed, glad you noticed!

I'm really sorry however, that the staff did not stand out as we strive to do. This is such an important part of who we are and we will make sure to use your feedback as motivation to be more consistent.

Please do try us again when you come back this way, we will show you what we are capable of and I will make sure a coffee maker is in your room!

Thanks again,

Lompoc, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have stayed at this property before..yet they ever cease to charm me. From the $10 raid the mini-bar coupon...to the coffee in the lobby in the morning, Hotel Monaco get the job done and delights you in the process. Yoga girl finds a great mat in her room as part of turn down service. Ask for coffee in the room...and they deliver. The bar is a surprise unto itself. The lobby area is inviting and eclectic. The front desk is a breeze...and sometimes that is all that a tired traveler needs. Skip the chain and stay here...

Dear TravellingPrincess,

Thank you! What a great testament to the unique and personal experience we work to provide for all of our guests!

Safe travels and hope to see you again soon!

Hedgesville, West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

Spent two nights at this hotel (9/6 and 9/7). It is a wonderful hotel, and convenient to restaurants, shops and the water taxis on the Potomac River. The room was very well appointed and clean. The front desk staff, especially Rachel, went out of her way to accommodate our every need. Overall we really enjoyed our stay and would certainly stay at this property again. The free wine served every afternoon is certainly a nice touch.

Room Tip: Rooms facing inner courtyard would be quieter than street side rooms.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Carol G,

Thank you fo recognizing the excellent service Rachel provided, we will certainly congratulate her on a job well done!

Glad you enjoyed your stay, please come back soon!

Matt

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!