“Great spot in Old Town” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Houston, Texas
“Great spot in Old Town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Placed right in the middle of historic Old Town Alexandira, the Monaco was a perfect venue for our trip to DC with our 11 year old grandson. They love kids and dogs, having an hour long afternoon time for the kids and canines parading in and out all day long. Adults get a wine hour in the lobby every afternoon as well. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. a trolley can take you a mile to the Metro or it is a nice walk past all the many restaurants and shops. The rooms are good and quiet, even on the King Street side. If there are some negatives, the bathroom was somewhat cramped with no exhaust ventilation. Coffee is available only in the lobby.However, if we missed the 9 am shut down for that service, there is a Starbucks and La Madeleine right next door. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: we stayed on the 5th floor front and noise was no problem
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Bob M,

Thank you for staying with us! Glad you all enjoyed the visit, and that the location of the hotel worked out perfectly for your visit to Old Town Alexandria.

We do have coffee makers available upon request for your room if you prefer, and have recently extended the hours of our coffee service in the lobby as well.

Safe travels and hope to see you again soon!

1,133 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Deptford, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

We've booked this hotel several times when visiting the Washington D.C. area. It's proximity to Arlington National Cemetery is important to us since several of my wife's relatives are buried there. It's also reasonably priced for a high-quality hotel in this area. Our rooms have been comfortable, well maintained and spacious. We've also received terrific treatment from the staff and have always enjoyed our stays.

While we originally discovered the Monaco via Priceline booking, we now specifically choose this hotel when visiting Washington D.C. for tourism.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Daniel S,

We're happy you found us and thrilled you keep coming back! Thank you for your business and for taking the time to write this review.

Take care and see you soon,

Seattle
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Our stay in a King terrace room was overall pleasant and we would visit again. Highly recommend signing up for a Kimpton membership as we thought the room rate, website, check-in treat, and service provided were excellent. The lobby is darkly lit / decorated in a boutique yet comfortable style, and we felt the same about the room. The small terrace balcony was large enough for two and though not very private, provided a nice space extension to the room. A minor concern is that other guests could clearly be heard from inside the room when they were talking/singing outside on their balcony (at 1 a.m.). Not sure there's much the hotel can do about that. The bathroom was well-laid out and we liked that there's a trash and separate recycling bin in the room.

The food, drinks, and staff at lunch and at the bar later in the evening were stellar. We enjoyed the modern fitness area and the pool looked inviting, though we didn't get the chance to swim (there is a part-time life guard in attendance). This is a pet-friendly hotel, so a guest can ask to stay on a pet-free floor if that's a concern. We're originally from the Alexandria area and think this is a great location next to the shops, restaurants, and Torpedo Art Gallery of Old Town. The free OT trolley can take you to the King St. Metro and Hoffman movie theatre a mile or so west.

We look forward to asking for a goldfish for our room and enjoying the evening wine hour during our next stay. Also, thanks to Courtney, Raoul, and Aretha for helping make our visit so welcoming!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Dear M H,

Thanks for making us your choice hotel when coming back 'home' to Old Town Alexandria! Glad you really enjoy the decor, and that the staff did their usual outstanding job of connecting with our guests.

Safe travels and see you soon!

Charlottesville, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed at the Monaco in Alexandria over the 4th of July this summer. Love Kimpton, love this Monaco. Room was not ready when we arrived, but we walked and had lunch down on the river. Our two dogs thought it was great too. Took shuttle bus and the metro into DC and the National Mall for the fireworks and it all worked out wonderfully. Drove into DC on the 5th and took a terrific tour with Context Travel -- which everyone should know about (small group tours in cities in US and Europe) so check it out! Really great breakfast in the hotel dining room -- I mean REALLY great sausage, eggs, pancakes, all cooked to perfection!

Room Tip: Love that we can bring our doggies!
Green Features: GreenLeadersGold level ... keep up the good work...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Banjoman2007,

Glad you and your dogs enjoyed the stay!! Thank you for sharing your comments here.

Seems like you got a lot out of your visit, good for you! There is so much to see and do here in Old Town and just across the river in D.C. that it can keep you busy for sure.

Thanks again and take care,

3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Old Town Alexandria is a charming palce to be. Whether you are here for business or simply need a good jumping off point for touring the DC area, this area is perfect. This property is right in the middle of an overwhelmingly large amount of shopping and dining experiences. You're about a 25 minute drive into DC (accounting for traffic) and you have access to Metro. Now, for the downside: overall, I felt like this hotel was overpriced when compared with other Kimpton properties that I have stayed in and in relation to the overall value I felt I received. The walls were thin and it was easy to hear the TV from the other room. Noise from the street was not an issue. The lobby was small and got crowded very quickly with people coming and going. You do not want to spend any time there because it feels crowded. The room needed a little bit of work and could have been dusted a lot better. There's nothing really wrong with this hotel but there's also nothing really great. Other than the doormen, there weren't really any staff members who I felt went out of their way to make me feel welcome. Don't get me wrong, if you stay here, you won't wind up with a dirty room or unsafe environemnt. Your room will be clean (except for possibly dust) and you will be pleased with the location. However, I can't help but think that there are better values out there for what you are paying and what you are receiving.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear Kkw83,

Thank you for trying us out, and for your honest feedback here. We do appreciate your business and know that value is an important determining factor when selecting a hotel, as is the service you are provided.

I'm dissapointed to hear that apart from the doorman the staff didn't stand out, that is our strength for sure and we need to be consistent with it. Sorry to hear that noise from the adjoining room was a nuisance as well.

Please consider giving us another opportunity to serve you in the future, and reach out to me personally so I may assist with reservations and provide you the best rate possible. My email address is matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com

Pasadena, MD
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I, along with our dog Allie spent last weekend at the hotel and we totally enjoyed our stay. The staff were gracious and helpful.

Our room was quite nice and we loved the dogie bed, bowls and treats. As a dog owner, those pet friendly hotels usually charge a fortune for your dog and give you the worst room; not here, as I felt we were regular guests but with a dog.

We would recommend this place and hope to return soon.

Dear DebraAnnVit,

So happy to hear you enjoyed your stay! Thank you for choosing us!

Come back, with Allie, anytime!

Take care,

Augusta, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was really looking forward to our visit to our favorite coastal city, and after very careful consideration, chose this hotel based on the photos, location, and reviews especially since my mother was travelling with us. Before this trip we always stayed in DC and came here on the metro. I thought my mother would enjoy Alexandria rather than the big city. We arrived on a rainy day and it was horrible trying to get a spot to park in front just to check-in. I had to run in as my husband double parked. The lobby was very dark and oppressive. It didn't appear that way in the photos. My first, second, and every impression during our stay I thought the staff at the front desk was stiff and snobby. The doormen and the maids were very friendly and helpful, however. But then they are working for tips. I was disappointed there wasn't anyway to make hot water for my mother for her nightly tea. I would be charged for hot water to be brought to our room. Very disappointing. For a high end hotel, the walls were very thin. For two nights in a row around 3:00 am, we could hear the couple next door talking, and even worse and embarrassing for me because my mother was with us, engaging in amorous activities, if you know what I mean! I had to turn on the a/c to hide the noise. As a warning, the restaurant next door ( Jackson 20) does not open for breakfast until 8. Not good on check-out day, when you want an early start. I will do more research next time we stay in town, but at least I can cross off both Klimpton hotels off my list.

Dear marianne s,

Thank you for staying with us while visiting the area, we appreciate the business and apologize the stay did not live up to your expectations. I especially regret to hear that the service levels were not consistently high throughout the hotel, please accept my apologies.

If you would like to provide us another opportunity to serve you, please reach out to me directly at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com and I will be happy to assist.

Matt

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!