“Great boutique experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
“Great boutique experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013 via mobile

Great location in old town alexandria. Good service, gym, pool, rooms. Pet friendly. Restaurant has good choices for dinner. Employees very helpful. Located near waterfront with many restaurant choices to choose from. Early evening wine service is included. Ambience is unique.

• Stayed July 2013

1,159 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
dayton,ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

1. If you use valet parking, make sure lights are turned off and all doors are secured even if you have to check yourself. Got ready to check out and car was dead. They jumped it, but is was a fairly new battery with no problems before or after so I think it was not a battery problem. 2. The pool is small and overrun with kids. Pool attendant was too busy playing on her phone to get unused pool toys out and as usual parents paid no attention to their kids throwing football's around. They should have an adult swim an hour before pool opens and the last hour. 3. Got a $10 free pass for the minibar which I used but was charged for it on my final bill. Got it corrected, but check your bill.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Highlands, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013 via mobile

Five star welcome to dogs from all over. Minutes from the 7pm and 8pm tour boat cruises in Old town Alexandria, the Monaco is the perfect host for pet lovers. The hotel and cruise ships hosts wonderful gatherings for dogs and dog lovers. Great on a hot summer day.

• Stayed July 2013
new jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

We stayed at the Monaco for one Saturday night, family of 4, double room.. The hallways are somewhat dark but once you entered your room, it was cheerful, colorful and eclectic. The room and bathroom were a nice size. Very roomy for the 4 of us! All we truly cared about are clean and comfy beds and a clean bathroom and this hotel did not disappoint. The lobby always seemed crowded with guests (and lots of dogs). We opted for a pet free floor. The kids also enjoyed the indoor pool. Great location! Alexandria is such a quaint town with lots of restaurants and shops! Would definitely come back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

I recently stayed at the Monaco for a July 4th Holiday Getaway with my boyfriend. I think this trip had its ups and downs so I'll list the positives and the negatives

The Positives:
- This Kimpton has the best location of any of the ones in Old Town. It is right across the street from a CVS and there is also a pastry shop the is convenient for breakfast in the mornings. Also the closest to the water. It is the furthest from the metro/amtrak but you could easily take the King Street Trolley.

- The hotel was beautiful and similar in decor with other Monaco's which is my favorite style of the Kimpton properties.

- The staff was awesome! Everyone was super friendly from the valet, to the bellman to the front desk staff.

- The standard rooms were quite large with ample space for 2 people or even more

- The Kimpton secret word scored us free parking which was awesome

The Negatives:
- This was the first Kimpton property that I've stayed at where my Inner Circle status didn't get me a room upgrade. That being said the rooms were very large but I was still surprised in 10+ stays this was the only one it had happened on, I guess I've just had pretty good luck.

- The hotel staff wasn't really informed on anywhere on the Virginia side that you could see the July 4th fireworks. I know Alexandria itself doesn't do its fireworks till the weekend following July 4th but we asked several times for locations on the VA side to see the fireworks and all they could really give us was directions into DC itself which we were hoping to avoid. It ended up we were able to walk along the waterside parks till we got to Oronoco Bay Park which gave us a good view.

- It was crowded - which is to be expected for a holiday weekend. What I didn't expect was an hour before the wine hour even started was for all the seating in the lobby to be taken already with people staking out their spots.

- Perhaps the worst part of the stay was that I managed to bruise my foot pretty badly in their shower. The drain on their tub screws in to the drain and somehow the one in our room was not screwed in it was just placed in the drain. I brushed the drain with my foot and the whole piece came out which then I stepped and tripped on and managed to bruise up my whole foot. While this may have been partially my own fault I really wish someone would check the drains to make sure this doesn't happen to anyone else.

Overall I really LOVE Kimpton properties but because of my bad experience in the shower I'm not sure if I would stay at the Monaco again when coming to Alexandria, I may choose another one of the properties.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We spent the night of July 4th in Old Town Alexandria (VA) and stayed at the Hotel Monaco. Did not bring my dogs this trip but will next time. They do not charge a supplement for dogs. The rooms and bathrooms were very nice. Perfect location in Old Town.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Somerville, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We spent one night at the Monaco for a fun weekend away. Everyone at the hotel was very friendly and helpful and we loved the free wine hour. Our dog loved it too! The location is definitely the best of the three Old Town Kimptons (we stayed at the Lorien over Christmas). There are lots of restaurants, bars and shops within walking distance. The gym is pretty small but bright and clean. The room service breakfast was nice. We also got a free upgrade to one of the rooms with the porch which was a lovely surprise! We ate our breakfast out there looking over the courtyard- I'd definitely recommend one of these rooms if they're in your budget. We'll definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!