“Great if you have a dog, very good even if you don't” 4 of 5 stars

Breakfast for $1
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
El Paso, Texas
“Great if you have a dog, very good even if you don't”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We don't travel with a dog (our cats prefer to stay at home) but were surprised at how many guests at the Monaco in Alexandra, VA had dogs, well - behaved dogs at that. I've since read that Alexandria is a very dog-friendly town and that many lodging places accept them.

I liked sitting in the comfortable lobby here watching the canines. When I say the lobby is comfortable, I mean it has couches that you literally sink into, wonderful side chairs, ottomans, and a cozy fireplace. There are toys for the kids in the lobby too. And did I mention there's wine at 5 p.m.? Very nice.

The only thing we were uncomfortable with was the size of the room. My husband and I are not little people. By the time we got our four bags and ourselves into the room it was snug. I like having a nice arm chair in the room. Not here. The furnishings and decor are avant European -- a large foot stool is the closest we got to a sitting chair. We thought we asked for a king-size bed, but got a queen. We let that go because it may have been our mistake.

There's no coffee pot in the room (European style, I guess) but there is coffee in the lobby. Don't look for any packaged sweet rolls for breakfast here, because there's no breakfast. I liked that because I don't find the "free breakfast" at most hotels all the good. Next to the Monaco there is a nice La Madeleine. And there's a pharmacy across the street.

The room and bathroom were very clean. We didn't get housekeeping every day because we left early each morning and returned around 4 p.m., just about the time housekeeping was getting around to us. That was not a big issue to me. I just mention it in case it is to others.

The desk was helpful and friendly, as were the doorman and staff. The first night the AC went on instead of the heater (it was cold). Maintenance was at our door within 2 minutes after we called and replaced the batteries in the thermostat. No problems with AC or heat after that. There is a free shuttle to and from Reagan National airport. When we arrived the shuttle was in the shop but the hotel paid for our cab ride.

The Monaco is in Old Town and is within walking distance to the related historic attractions and the Torpedo Factory. The station for the Metro into D.C. is about a mile away. The Old Town trolleys go to the Metro station but they don't start until 10 a.m. If you want to go into D.C. earlier than that, you either need to be prepared to walk a mile to the station or take a cab.

Next time we go to D.C. we will probably stay closer to the Metro station, not because we didn't like the Monaco but because we are morning people and like to go into the city early. Also, there's a great Whole Foods near the Metro station. We would have eaten every meal there if we'd found it sooner. The restaurants in Old Town are ok, but not as good as Whole Foods in my opinion.

Room Tip: Elevators tend to run a little slow so a room on a lower floor might be a good idea if you want to t...
Green Features: There was a container in the room for recyclables.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
Palatine, Illinois, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights while visiting Washington DC. The location was great in Old Town Alexandria. Easy walk to tons of restaurants and shopping. CVS was across the street for anything we forgot to bring!
It's clean, very comfortable and nice service. Parking is $25 per day, whether you valet or not. That's the only weak point.
It's a 20 min. walk to the metro station, but there is a free trolley that runs down King St. from 11am to 11pm. We used that and the stop is right in front of the hotel.
I would definitely stay there again if visiting the city and surroundings.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Long Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

We had an attractively furnished double-double with a spacey desk and room to walk about. The good sized bathroom was stocked with soft towels and great make up mirror. As a Kimpton member (no charge) one gets free Internet and a $10 credit at the mini-bar. Parking ($25 per night) located under building. The reception staff was very polite and helpful. A relaxing wine tasting occurs in the lobby from 5 – 6.

This is a great hotel for people who wish to explore old town Alexandria: it’s a few blocks walk down to the waterfront. Stroll the historic cobblestone street of Captain’s Row, see houses from the 1700s and 1800s, and walk down a few blocks to a tavern for an evening’s entertainment.

Only negatives: Air conditioning was a bit noisy and no coffee in room - though one can get complimentary coffee in the lobby in the morning and there are several places for breakfast within 2 blocks walk. Rooms were not cheap but, considering the location and convenience, worth the expense. I’d definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose an upper floor to be further from the street.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

You envision your wedding night as something you will remember for the rest of your life. Well unfortunately we will remember this one for all the wrong reasons. I will not bore you with all the details other than to say we had no air conditioning in our room. The way it was handled by the staff that night was very poor as they stated there was no engineer on site so there was nothing they could do about it. The engineer that came up the next morning said that was wrong and they should have contacted him and he could have walked them through it.
I have since spoke with the General Manager, Matt Huriburt, and in he was apologetic and said they have taken steps to ensure this type of situation does not happen in the future. After some discussion he decided to comp us for the room and offered a free night stay at the Kimpton Hotel in Vero Beach, FL. I really appreciate the General Manager stepping up I just wish it would not have been liking pulling teeth for him to extend this offer, as they were originally just going to comp the room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Paul H,

Thank you for spending your special night with us, I'm so sorry that the A/C not working disrupted this occasion.

Thank you for speaking with me on the phone and I'm glad that we came to a resolution that you were satisfied with.

Take care and my best to you and your wife.

Matt
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My husband and I live in Northern Virginia and we LOVE old town Alexandria! We decided to book the romance package at the Hotel Monaco for a night (on the weekend).

Check in: Wonderful! The staff was very welcoming and even offered us some free items from our mini bar as a special treat for our anniversary. Valet parking also ran smoothly.

Room: We have the King Loft Suite. It was AMAZING! Beautiful decor, very spacious. The bathroom was to die for. We LOVED the HUGE jacuzzi tub. Wow! Lots of lovely amenities in the room such as bath salts for the tub, comfy robes and more. If you are celebrating...then a loft suite or any suite is the way to go.

Package: It included valet parking, champagne, chocolate covered strawberries and room service credit. The champagne was okay, the chocolate covered strawberries weren't as good as edible arrangements and the room service (breakfast) was just OK. I wouldn't recommend this package unless they upgrade some of the items.

Breakfast: We ordered a ton of food! All of it was just okay. The bacon tasted low sodium (which is fine, but I like my bacon salty). The eggs were just plain eggs, my husbands pancakes were nothing to write home about....

Overall: Loved the 5-6pm wine tasting. It was fun to people watch through the large windows. The wine was just okay. The staff was very friendly and the room was very comfortable.

Complaints: The TV in the loft area had a hard time getting all the channels. The downstairs TV didn't seem to have a problem, but I wanted to enjoy my breakfast in bed with some news! It kept cutting in and out. For the price of the room, I should have complained, but hey... it was our anniversary and we were only there for one night. :)

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place to tourist and locals. The location is superb and parking is easy to find (either valet or not).

Room Tip: We loved the king loft suite. The HUGE bathtub was amazing!
Balitmorw
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We really liked this hotel at first glance. It has a lot of style, the rooms are quite nice, and we enjoyed the outdoor courtyard. The location could not be more perfect for old town. However, we ran into some major problems and the staff and management could really seem to care less. And there were small annoyances - like the TV remote control and phone didn't work. I would say as long as your stay goes smoothly, this is a great hotel. But if you have any problems, do not expect any service from the front desk or management. We were incredibly disappointed with our stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear BTB233,

Thank you very much for staying with us, and for the kind words about the look of the hotel and our location. I sincerely apologize however, that your stay did not go well and that you felt we did not react appropriately. This is very concerning.

Please contact me at your convenience at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com and I will personally follow up as well as ensure everything is resolved to your satisfaction.

Matt
Jackson, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The Hotel Monaco has a primo location in Old Town Alexandria, and meets all the standards of a Kimpton property - beautiful rooms, wine happy hour, etc.. What really sets this property apart from others are the staff. They go above and beyond to help guests with any special needs or requests. We experienced this with both the front desk staff on several occasions, as well as with the the bell staff and shuttle service. And rates are very reasonable given this level of service. And even though we didn't have a pet with us on this trip, I love the fact that this entire chain is pet friendly. And if you forget just about anything, they will get it for you. Great hotel in a terrific location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!