“Anniversary Night” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Anniversary Night”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

My husband and I live in Northern Virginia and we LOVE old town Alexandria! We decided to book the romance package at the Hotel Monaco for a night (on the weekend).

Check in: Wonderful! The staff was very welcoming and even offered us some free items from our mini bar as a special treat for our anniversary. Valet parking also ran smoothly.

Room: We have the King Loft Suite. It was AMAZING! Beautiful decor, very spacious. The bathroom was to die for. We LOVED the HUGE jacuzzi tub. Wow! Lots of lovely amenities in the room such as bath salts for the tub, comfy robes and more. If you are celebrating...then a loft suite or any suite is the way to go.

Package: It included valet parking, champagne, chocolate covered strawberries and room service credit. The champagne was okay, the chocolate covered strawberries weren't as good as edible arrangements and the room service (breakfast) was just OK. I wouldn't recommend this package unless they upgrade some of the items.

Breakfast: We ordered a ton of food! All of it was just okay. The bacon tasted low sodium (which is fine, but I like my bacon salty). The eggs were just plain eggs, my husbands pancakes were nothing to write home about....

Overall: Loved the 5-6pm wine tasting. It was fun to people watch through the large windows. The wine was just okay. The staff was very friendly and the room was very comfortable.

Complaints: The TV in the loft area had a hard time getting all the channels. The downstairs TV didn't seem to have a problem, but I wanted to enjoy my breakfast in bed with some news! It kept cutting in and out. For the price of the room, I should have complained, but hey... it was our anniversary and we were only there for one night. :)

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this place to tourist and locals. The location is superb and parking is easy to find (either valet or not).

Room Tip: We loved the king loft suite. The HUGE bathtub was amazing!

1,064 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Balitmorw
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

We really liked this hotel at first glance. It has a lot of style, the rooms are quite nice, and we enjoyed the outdoor courtyard. The location could not be more perfect for old town. However, we ran into some major problems and the staff and management could really seem to care less. And there were small annoyances - like the TV remote control and phone didn't work. I would say as long as your stay goes smoothly, this is a great hotel. But if you have any problems, do not expect any service from the front desk or management. We were incredibly disappointed with our stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Dear BTB233,

Thank you very much for staying with us, and for the kind words about the look of the hotel and our location. I sincerely apologize however, that your stay did not go well and that you felt we did not react appropriately. This is very concerning.

Please contact me at your convenience at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com and I will personally follow up as well as ensure everything is resolved to your satisfaction.

Matt
Jackson, Wyoming
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

The Hotel Monaco has a primo location in Old Town Alexandria, and meets all the standards of a Kimpton property - beautiful rooms, wine happy hour, etc.. What really sets this property apart from others are the staff. They go above and beyond to help guests with any special needs or requests. We experienced this with both the front desk staff on several occasions, as well as with the the bell staff and shuttle service. And rates are very reasonable given this level of service. And even though we didn't have a pet with us on this trip, I love the fact that this entire chain is pet friendly. And if you forget just about anything, they will get it for you. Great hotel in a terrific location.

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We just hosted five couples (and a baby!) at the Monaco for a family event and this hotel was the perfect location with everything we needed. Our room had a balcony that was so pleasant to enjoy in the morning and evening. Room service was fantastic and surprisingly affordable - breakfast for the two of us was less then it typically costs me alone when traveling at luxury hotels. Your location is perfect - walking distance to anything and everything you want. Complimentary coffee is available in the lobby in the mornings. Complimentary happy hour fro 5-6pm in the evening. We absolutely loved it.

Atlanta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights as part of a wedding party. Ours was 1 of 2 wedding parties at the hotel. I had the occasion to interact with the front desk on more than once and each time, found the staff to be responsive, helpful and welcoming. Check in was a breeze (abt $15 cab ride from the airport - though i believe the hotel may have a free shuttle to/from DCA). If you are interested, you can request a goldfish for your room - a nice touch. They also had shaving cream (i forgot mine) and TSA approved bags for repacking shampoos for the flight home.

Located 1 block from the old town square, the hotel is in a great location. On Saturday, we enjoyed the farmers' market at the square and highly recommend. Old Towne is a great walking area and if you tire of walking, jump on the trolley that stops directly in front of the hotel.

We missed the wine happy hour, but its a nice touch. The lobby is fairly small, but always seemed to be alive with activity - people enjoying complimentary coffee, their pets, reading, etc.

I saw another review that commented on the pace of the housekeeping. I suppose that it was slower than expected, but then, I don't think that the hotel guests were up and out early (thereby allowing the staff to get to the rooms earlier). The rooms were clean and comfortable. I was expecting the hotel to smell like "pets" since it is a pet friendly hotel, but i was pleasantly surprised - no such smell.

I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms not overlooking King Street may be somewhat larger - though you may also have delivery truck n...
York, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

Had a very nice stay over Memorial Day weekend at the Monaco Alexandria. Staff were friendly. Daily wine reception was quite nice (and I enjoyed the dog watching in the lobby, wine glass in hand). Funky decor that runs throughout common areas and the room itself. I was happy with my room. Had a goldfish waiting for me in the room (at my request). Fun touch! Another nice touch was the yoga mat...I needed to stretch after all the walking I did! Bed and pillows weren't fabulous, my only disappointment. I was very happy I splurged for a balcony room. It was lovely to sit out on the balcony with a glass of wine, and one morning I brought breakfast back to the room from the bagel place a block (or so) away to enjoy on the balcony. Breakfast, paper, and fresh air. Nice start to the day! And, the chaise in the room was another great lounging spot.

Location is ideal for Old Town. Unbeatable, in my opinion. A wide variety of restaurants on King Street. About a 20 minute walk from the Metro (or there is a free trolley/bus that runs along King Street). CVS across the street for snacks, beer/wine, and anything you might have forgotten to pack. Nice farmers market across the street on Saturday mornings.

Overall, a great choice for Old Town Alexandria!

Room Tip: Room with a balcony was worth the extra $$
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Tacoma, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

This was my wife and I's first trip to the DC area, it was great. A lot of that had to do with the accommodations. Staying in Alexandria was really nice and quiet yet there was enough around to see and do, along with many great restaurants close by. The only negatives, and they weren't severe, was the walk to the Metro to get into DC was long, about a mile or so and the fact that the trolley that runs on King St. only runs from 11am to 10pm or so. So if you wanted to catch a earlier Metro run into DC you were walking to the station or paying for a cab ride up to the Metro. Back to the hotel though, beautiful room, plenty of space, very clean, beds were super comfy, coffee is just downstairs in the lobby in the mornings(weekends run out quickly). Bathroom was a little smaller than most Kimpton's we have stayed at on the West coast, but not worth being concerned about, and our clock radio didn't work but that wasn't a big deal to us. We will stay here when we come back soon! All in all we really like the Kimpton model and will continue to look to stay at these hotels.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!