“Not great compared to other Kimpton properties” 3 of 5 stars

Breakfast for $1
Ranked #6 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not great compared to other Kimpton properties”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

Hotel was extremely noisy, thanks to malfunctioning doors, loud parties on the outdoor courtyard, and in-room air conditioning (i.e. no central air). And staff--most shockingly for a Kimpton property, most of which I've enjoyed--was indifferent to the point of rudeness. Not coming back here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear DavidS98098,

Please accept my apologies for the perception you were left of our hotel, and most importantly our staff. That is not how we have come to be so succesful and it is not acceptable, I'm sorry that you left feeling this way.

Please contact me at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com if you would like to provide more information and for me to help address your concerns to your satisfaction.

1,064 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a 3 night stay @ Hotel Monaco and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about. We were both extremely happy with every aspect of our stay. The staff that we dealt with were friendly and accommodating, even when there was a mix-up with the parking. Our room was made up beautifully every morning. Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to go swimming (or even look at the pool!) despite choosing the Monaco because of the pool!!

The only room available when I made the reservation was a handicap accessible king room, so our room had a large roll-in shower, which was very nice. The bathroom was much larger than the last Kimpton I stayed in, The Helix, which was located in DC. The C.O. Bigelow products were a nice touch! Our room overlooked King Street, but the noise was never an issue.

I would absolutely stay in Alexandria again. I had no idea there were so many little shops and good restaurants. The waterfront area is a must- see and it's only a few blocks away! The Monaco is located a 15-20 minute walk to the King Street Metro station and it's about a 15-20 minute trip into the heart of DC. I am from NYC, where we walk everywhere, so the walk was no problem for me. There is plenty to look at along the way and plenty of shops to stop in. There is a free trolley, but walking was faster than waiting for the trolley.

Overall, we had an extremely pleasant experience and I wouldn't think twice about booking another stay at the Monaco next time I am in Alexandria!

Room Tip: Become a Kimpton member. It's free and you get $10 to spend on the mini bar!
Dear Robynpuff1979,

So glad you found us and discovered how great Old Town Alexandria is! Thank you for this great review and for your business, we appreciate it!

Take care and hope to see you again soon,

Lafayette, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

This Hotel is marvelous. The rooms are very comfortable and the location is perfect. We loved the pillows.They serve complimentary wine each afternoon and free coffee in the morning. I would stay there again anytime. Also, the staff is very friendly.

Dear Carolyn S,

Thank you for such a wondeful review! And everyone always enjoys a little free wine, right?!

Thanks again,

Placida, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

Hotel is kind of dark, rooms, hallways, lobby. VERY pet friendly...saw a large Russian wolfhound lounging in the lobby. A bit remiss in the housekeeping department as glasses from Happy Hour (5-6) were still all over the lobby at 8. Incredible location though, right in the heart of Old Alexandria. Rooms are nice, great pillows. Bathrooms are fine.

• Stayed May 2013
Dear CiteeGirl,

Thank you for staying with us - we appreciate your business!

And all of the feedback is great, both good and bad, because it helps us either way. So thank you for taking the time to share and we will make sure to address those items you have noted here!

Take care and hope to see you again soon,

Charlotte, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I booked a last minute deal for a great price. I was going to reserve the larger terrace room but assumed they would ask me if I wanted to "E-Stand By". Since I have batted 1.000 with "E-Stand By", why not try it again?

Upon arrival, we were welcomed and thanked for being a Kimpton member which followed with apologies that they were fully booked with 3 weddings and the "E-Stand By" request could not be granted. Instead, she gave us a "Great" room (with a queen bed??) on the 3rd floor and also (2) free cocktails at the restaurant in the lobby. Fair compromise.

Decor was great, courtyard was nice and bathrooms were high class.

Everything else was fine except this morning. I virtually live on the road for work and never really was bothered by elevator noise or hallway traffic but today was a first!

We were right next to the elevator. I guess someone always will have to stay next to the elevator but we were getting a quiet room.

Anyways, after tossing and turning all morning, I figured it out. The pool and the gym are on floor 3. That would explain the kids yelling from one end to the other of the hallway, or the kids racing back forth. It's not like I had to get up this morning for a meeting and was bothered all through the night.

Just was hoping for a quieter experience on this mini staycation.

I absolutely love Kimpton and will return to this location again. Also, the bartenders at the restaurant were awesome. They were slammed but still managed to get drinks.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the elevator, Avoid the 3rd floor (traffic to pool and gym),
Dear YankeesBaseball,

Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your comments here. I apologize for the fact that you were inconvenienced by noise from outside of your room during this stay, obviously our team should have been better aware of what rooms can be expected to be quieter than others.

Please contact me directly at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com and I would be happy to provide that upgrade you missed out on this time, complimentary for you on your next stay!

california
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We just came back from an 8 night stay at this hotel and although it is a fairly nice property it just didn't add up to a great stay. First let me say we enjoyed ourselves but to be honest we found the staff and the hotel itself lacking the wow factor we seemed to get from the reviews we read here. For example I sent an e mail two weeks early mentioning it was our 35th wedding anniversery and asking for restaurant recommendations,we never got any answer to our e mail however I know they got it because the desk person wished us a happy anniversary(as a side note they could have sent something very small to the room even a card especially for an eight night guest but...)They did give us a non pet room as requested and the room was ok for the bottom of the line "queen deluxe" but I found the ac system incredibly noisy and in fact I can't believe anyone can sleep with that thing on! The room was kept very clean and the fish brought up to your room on request is a nice touch but it is in our opinion a basic room for a four star hotel.Lastly we booked with orbitz and not the hotel directly and although it saved us some money I REALLLLLLY got the feeling the hotel didn't like that...the third time the desk person told me that I didn't get any points for the stay because we booked thru a third party and we couldn't "raid the mini bar" as there hotel frequent guest members can do I got the messege ...if you come back call the hotel directly. lol lol I have to think after reading the reviews that if I had booked with the hotel directly we would ,with an eight night stay, have been upgraded to a slightly larger terrace room or at least a king but who knows.
Be warned if you have an early cross country flight that the earliest the hotel shuttle runs is 7am and the airport (dca/ronald reagan) is about a 20-25 minute drive from the hotel ,luckily a cab is only 20 one way but still a shuttle for a 5 tip would have been much nicer. As too the location it is a very beautiful area in alexandria BUT if you want to use the metro to DC and you are an early riser like we are keep in mind it is a one mile walk to the metro center(easy walk).The free king st shuttle only runs from 11:15 am until 10:15 pm so just be warned. Also the king st metro is about a 45 minute metro ride from downtown dc so leaving your hotel at 8:30 will get you downtown at about 10ish.All in all it added up to a nice stay but I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone who doesn't like to walk(we do!) or to anyone who is in a hurry to get to DC.
The jackson 20 restaurant attached to the hotel was nice but it has a VERY limited menu and the service was uneven,the first night it was great but the second time we ate there the waitress must have had a bad day and the bar service was terrible,the wait time for a beer was almost 20 minutes! They ended up comping the beer(not the food) but 20 minutes???
Again all in all a good stay ...just not great as we had expected.

Room Tip: ask for a courtyard room ...busy till ten or so but king st rooms are very noisy.
Dear daveCalifornia,

Thank you for staying with us on your trip out East! We apreciate your business and the feedback you have provided here.

I'm really sorry we didn't respond to your email prior to arrival, or have an amenity prepared to help celebrate your anniversary. That is something we love to do, I apologize that we dropped the ball on it this time, and can assure you it had nothing to do with you booking through a Third Party site! The policy of not crediting stays towards your InTouch membership when booked through OTA's is a company policy, not ours specifically here.

If your travels bring you back to this area, please reach out to me directly at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com and I will personally assist you with reservations and the best rate possible for that time period.

Bellaire, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our stay. The room was very nice wth nice bathroom amenities. I was impressed with the dimmers on the lights.......a nice feature. The staff was friendly and helpful.
There was a extra charge for the valet parking but we had access to the car whenever we needed it. No breakfast included but complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby in the morning. Probably the nicest feature is that the hotel is located right on the main street of
Alexandria with numerous shops and restaurant right out the front door. When I return to the DC area I will try to stay here.

Dear TomFromBellaire,

It's great to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for sharing your comments here. We apprecaite your business and please do stay with us on your next trip up to D.C.!

Matt

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!