“A nice........ but not great hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Give Yourself Some Credit
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
california
“A nice........ but not great hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

We just came back from an 8 night stay at this hotel and although it is a fairly nice property it just didn't add up to a great stay. First let me say we enjoyed ourselves but to be honest we found the staff and the hotel itself lacking the wow factor we seemed to get from the reviews we read here. For example I sent an e mail two weeks early mentioning it was our 35th wedding anniversery and asking for restaurant recommendations,we never got any answer to our e mail however I know they got it because the desk person wished us a happy anniversary(as a side note they could have sent something very small to the room even a card especially for an eight night guest but...)They did give us a non pet room as requested and the room was ok for the bottom of the line "queen deluxe" but I found the ac system incredibly noisy and in fact I can't believe anyone can sleep with that thing on! The room was kept very clean and the fish brought up to your room on request is a nice touch but it is in our opinion a basic room for a four star hotel.Lastly we booked with orbitz and not the hotel directly and although it saved us some money I REALLLLLLY got the feeling the hotel didn't like that...the third time the desk person told me that I didn't get any points for the stay because we booked thru a third party and we couldn't "raid the mini bar" as there hotel frequent guest members can do I got the messege ...if you come back call the hotel directly. lol lol I have to think after reading the reviews that if I had booked with the hotel directly we would ,with an eight night stay, have been upgraded to a slightly larger terrace room or at least a king but who knows.
Be warned if you have an early cross country flight that the earliest the hotel shuttle runs is 7am and the airport (dca/ronald reagan) is about a 20-25 minute drive from the hotel ,luckily a cab is only 20 one way but still a shuttle for a 5 tip would have been much nicer. As too the location it is a very beautiful area in alexandria BUT if you want to use the metro to DC and you are an early riser like we are keep in mind it is a one mile walk to the metro center(easy walk).The free king st shuttle only runs from 11:15 am until 10:15 pm so just be warned. Also the king st metro is about a 45 minute metro ride from downtown dc so leaving your hotel at 8:30 will get you downtown at about 10ish.All in all it added up to a nice stay but I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone who doesn't like to walk(we do!) or to anyone who is in a hurry to get to DC.
The jackson 20 restaurant attached to the hotel was nice but it has a VERY limited menu and the service was uneven,the first night it was great but the second time we ate there the waitress must have had a bad day and the bar service was terrible,the wait time for a beer was almost 20 minutes! They ended up comping the beer(not the food) but 20 minutes???
Again all in all a good stay ...just not great as we had expected.

Room Tip: ask for a courtyard room ...busy till ten or so but king st rooms are very noisy.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear daveCalifornia,

Thank you for staying with us on your trip out East! We apreciate your business and the feedback you have provided here.

I'm really sorry we didn't respond to your email prior to arrival, or have an amenity prepared to help celebrate your anniversary. That is something we love to do, I apologize that we dropped the ball on it this time, and can assure you it had nothing to do with you booking through a Third Party site! The policy of not crediting stays towards your InTouch membership when booked through OTA's is a company policy, not ours specifically here.

If your travels bring you back to this area, please reach out to me directly at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com and I will personally assist you with reservations and the best rate possible for that time period.

Matt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Bellaire, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our stay. The room was very nice wth nice bathroom amenities. I was impressed with the dimmers on the lights.......a nice feature. The staff was friendly and helpful.
There was a extra charge for the valet parking but we had access to the car whenever we needed it. No breakfast included but complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby in the morning. Probably the nicest feature is that the hotel is located right on the main street of
Alexandria with numerous shops and restaurant right out the front door. When I return to the DC area I will try to stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear TomFromBellaire,

It's great to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for sharing your comments here. We apprecaite your business and please do stay with us on your next trip up to D.C.!

Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I generally believe that hotels that are a good value are a compromise: Good Hotel OR Good Location. Monaco is both. I love Alexandria, there are many wonderful thing to see in DC proper but I find that after a long day of tourist trampling I look forward to the quaint streets of Alexandria.

Monaco is close to a variety of choices for ANY meal. Whatever price point you are looking for you can find within walking distance of this hotel. The streets are perfect for window shopping quaint boutiques and consignment shops, buy souveniers or get errands done (post office anyone?)

The common spaces in this hotel are beautiful but what I really love is the decor in the rooms. The small picture boxes and the luxe bedding and toiletries are simple elegant details.

The complimentary wine reception is a lovely touch as is the restaurant hotel and bar for convenience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Eurotripper,

Thank you for staying with us, and sharing all of these wonderful comments about the hotel and Old Town Alexandria here! You're right, it is refreshing to have so many locally owned businesses here that you can explore, with a completely different feel from downtown.

Safe Travels!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This March, my wife treated me to a stay at the Hotel Monaco for my birthday. This is the third time we've stayed at the Monaco and each visit is better than the last.

Situated in the center of Old Town the hotel is extremely convenient, within walking distance of the best restaurants, shopping and walking along the Potomac. The hotel itself is four-star all the way, offering large, clean, stylish rooms with wall-to-wall luxury. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, sincerely interested in making your stay as near-perfect as possible. And, if you're a pet-lover, like all Kimpton hotels, the Monaco is genuinely pet-friendly (none of those ridiculous hidden up-charges that other hotels hit you with). Last, if you want to use the hotel as a base to visit DC, it's ideal. You can either grab the Metro into the city or take an easy 15-minute drive and you're there.

We've never had a bad experience at any Kimpton (I think we've stayed at least 10 different ones) and the Hotel Monaco stands out as one of their best. It's nearly flawless, and a bargain on the weekends. If you're planning on visiting Northern VA or DC, be sure to put it at the top of your list of places to stay.

Room Tip: As for an upgrade if you're staying on a weekend. The bigger rooms are amazing.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear output555,

Thank you! It is great to hear how much you have enjoyed staying here at the Hotel Monaco Alexandria, and I'm definitely using your line about being one of your favorite Kimpton properties to brag to my colleagues!

Thanks again and take care,

Warwick, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I cannot say enough about this hotel. We took our son for his 11th birthday down to the DC Area and decided to stay here. They went above and beyond to make his day special, including a present and card signed by the hotel staff. The location was perfect and the whole staff was friendly and always there to help. I strongly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for a floor without pets :)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear RIGreg,

Thank you for staying with us and for the recommendation for others to follow! It's very kind of you!

Our team really has fun helping folks celebrate special occasions and has become quite good at utilizing all the wonderful resources in Old Town Alexandria to come up with fun amenities and gifts!

Thanks again,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I love the Kimpton hotels...I have stayed at several and have always found them to be exquisite....until now.

I was optimistic when I arrived at the Monaco as the decor was absolutely breathtaking. However, it all went downhill from there. My room itself had an undeniable dog stench. (I had forgotten that they allow canines into the hotel.) I also found that two of the lamps in the room were broken. (No, it wasn't that the light bulbs needed changing - the fixtures were literally broken. I spent the evening praying that there wouldn't be an electrical fire.) Before retiring for the evening, I had been assured that there was 24 hour room service as well as 24 hour valet service. I explicitly requested a pot of coffee to be brought to my room at 5am as I had an early morning event the next day. The coffee never arrived. When I finally made my way to check out at 5:45am and asked if the valet could bring my car around, I was informed that the valet was delivering newspapers, but they could give me my key if I wanted to go the garage to find it myself.

Yeah.

I will never be staying at the Monaco again, which is too bad as the attached restaurant - the Jackson 20 - serves delicious food!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear kajones_2000,

I'm glad that we were able to speak on the phone so that I could listen to your concerns and address them appropriately, please accept my apologies again for the inconveniences you experienced.

Thank you very much for your feedback and we do hope to see you again to show you the great service we are capable of!

Take care,

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

A beautiful hotel in a beautiful location! Even though I didn't have my dog with me, I loved "Yappy Hour" in the cobblestone courtyard. The staff was helpful and friendly. The rooms were well-appointed and trendy. I would love to go back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear kimmyd05,

That's a great combination! Thank you very much for staying with us, and please do come back!

Take care,

Matt

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!