“Great............ I want to go back” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast for $1
Ranked #6 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Bellaire, Texas
“Great............ I want to go back”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

My wife and I enjoyed our stay. The room was very nice wth nice bathroom amenities. I was impressed with the dimmers on the lights.......a nice feature. The staff was friendly and helpful.
There was a extra charge for the valet parking but we had access to the car whenever we needed it. No breakfast included but complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby in the morning. Probably the nicest feature is that the hotel is located right on the main street of
Alexandria with numerous shops and restaurant right out the front door. When I return to the DC area I will try to stay here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear TomFromBellaire,

It's great to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us, thank you for sharing your comments here. We apprecaite your business and please do stay with us on your next trip up to D.C.!

1,064 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I generally believe that hotels that are a good value are a compromise: Good Hotel OR Good Location. Monaco is both. I love Alexandria, there are many wonderful thing to see in DC proper but I find that after a long day of tourist trampling I look forward to the quaint streets of Alexandria.

Monaco is close to a variety of choices for ANY meal. Whatever price point you are looking for you can find within walking distance of this hotel. The streets are perfect for window shopping quaint boutiques and consignment shops, buy souveniers or get errands done (post office anyone?)

The common spaces in this hotel are beautiful but what I really love is the decor in the rooms. The small picture boxes and the luxe bedding and toiletries are simple elegant details.

The complimentary wine reception is a lovely touch as is the restaurant hotel and bar for convenience.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear Eurotripper,

Thank you for staying with us, and sharing all of these wonderful comments about the hotel and Old Town Alexandria here! You're right, it is refreshing to have so many locally owned businesses here that you can explore, with a completely different feel from downtown.

Safe Travels!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This March, my wife treated me to a stay at the Hotel Monaco for my birthday. This is the third time we've stayed at the Monaco and each visit is better than the last.

Situated in the center of Old Town the hotel is extremely convenient, within walking distance of the best restaurants, shopping and walking along the Potomac. The hotel itself is four-star all the way, offering large, clean, stylish rooms with wall-to-wall luxury. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, sincerely interested in making your stay as near-perfect as possible. And, if you're a pet-lover, like all Kimpton hotels, the Monaco is genuinely pet-friendly (none of those ridiculous hidden up-charges that other hotels hit you with). Last, if you want to use the hotel as a base to visit DC, it's ideal. You can either grab the Metro into the city or take an easy 15-minute drive and you're there.

We've never had a bad experience at any Kimpton (I think we've stayed at least 10 different ones) and the Hotel Monaco stands out as one of their best. It's nearly flawless, and a bargain on the weekends. If you're planning on visiting Northern VA or DC, be sure to put it at the top of your list of places to stay.

Room Tip: As for an upgrade if you're staying on a weekend. The bigger rooms are amazing.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear output555,

Thank you! It is great to hear how much you have enjoyed staying here at the Hotel Monaco Alexandria, and I'm definitely using your line about being one of your favorite Kimpton properties to brag to my colleagues!

Thanks again and take care,

Warwick, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I cannot say enough about this hotel. We took our son for his 11th birthday down to the DC Area and decided to stay here. They went above and beyond to make his day special, including a present and card signed by the hotel staff. The location was perfect and the whole staff was friendly and always there to help. I strongly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for a floor without pets :)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear RIGreg,

Thank you for staying with us and for the recommendation for others to follow! It's very kind of you!

Our team really has fun helping folks celebrate special occasions and has become quite good at utilizing all the wonderful resources in Old Town Alexandria to come up with fun amenities and gifts!

Thanks again,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I love the Kimpton hotels...I have stayed at several and have always found them to be exquisite....until now.

I was optimistic when I arrived at the Monaco as the decor was absolutely breathtaking. However, it all went downhill from there. My room itself had an undeniable dog stench. (I had forgotten that they allow canines into the hotel.) I also found that two of the lamps in the room were broken. (No, it wasn't that the light bulbs needed changing - the fixtures were literally broken. I spent the evening praying that there wouldn't be an electrical fire.) Before retiring for the evening, I had been assured that there was 24 hour room service as well as 24 hour valet service. I explicitly requested a pot of coffee to be brought to my room at 5am as I had an early morning event the next day. The coffee never arrived. When I finally made my way to check out at 5:45am and asked if the valet could bring my car around, I was informed that the valet was delivering newspapers, but they could give me my key if I wanted to go the garage to find it myself.

Yeah.

I will never be staying at the Monaco again, which is too bad as the attached restaurant - the Jackson 20 - serves delicious food!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear kajones_2000,

I'm glad that we were able to speak on the phone so that I could listen to your concerns and address them appropriately, please accept my apologies again for the inconveniences you experienced.

Thank you very much for your feedback and we do hope to see you again to show you the great service we are capable of!

Take care,

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

A beautiful hotel in a beautiful location! Even though I didn't have my dog with me, I loved "Yappy Hour" in the cobblestone courtyard. The staff was helpful and friendly. The rooms were well-appointed and trendy. I would love to go back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear kimmyd05,

That's a great combination! Thank you very much for staying with us, and please do come back!

Take care,

Binghamton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

This hotel stay was due to an overflow issue at the conference hotel. The lobby was a very ecclectic-bohemian feel yet comfortable, the staff was fantastic, the room was generous in size and comfort. They offered free coffee and tea every morning in the lobby for guests, with couches and chairs and a fireplace to relax by. Evenings, they offered free wine from 5-6pm which was great following all day conference. Very social time. Centered beautifully for a walk to the waterfront, great restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear denibeck,

That hotel's loss was our gain! Glad you enjoyed the hotel and thank you for the kind words abou the staff!

Safe travels,

Matt

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!