“Always excellent!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
“Always excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This March, my wife treated me to a stay at the Hotel Monaco for my birthday. This is the third time we've stayed at the Monaco and each visit is better than the last.

Situated in the center of Old Town the hotel is extremely convenient, within walking distance of the best restaurants, shopping and walking along the Potomac. The hotel itself is four-star all the way, offering large, clean, stylish rooms with wall-to-wall luxury. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful, sincerely interested in making your stay as near-perfect as possible. And, if you're a pet-lover, like all Kimpton hotels, the Monaco is genuinely pet-friendly (none of those ridiculous hidden up-charges that other hotels hit you with). Last, if you want to use the hotel as a base to visit DC, it's ideal. You can either grab the Metro into the city or take an easy 15-minute drive and you're there.

We've never had a bad experience at any Kimpton (I think we've stayed at least 10 different ones) and the Hotel Monaco stands out as one of their best. It's nearly flawless, and a bargain on the weekends. If you're planning on visiting Northern VA or DC, be sure to put it at the top of your list of places to stay.

Room Tip: As for an upgrade if you're staying on a weekend. The bigger rooms are amazing.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Dear output555,

Thank you! It is great to hear how much you have enjoyed staying here at the Hotel Monaco Alexandria, and I'm definitely using your line about being one of your favorite Kimpton properties to brag to my colleagues!

Thanks again and take care,

1,131 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Warwick, Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

I cannot say enough about this hotel. We took our son for his 11th birthday down to the DC Area and decided to stay here. They went above and beyond to make his day special, including a present and card signed by the hotel staff. The location was perfect and the whole staff was friendly and always there to help. I strongly recommend staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for a floor without pets :)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear RIGreg,

Thank you for staying with us and for the recommendation for others to follow! It's very kind of you!

Our team really has fun helping folks celebrate special occasions and has become quite good at utilizing all the wonderful resources in Old Town Alexandria to come up with fun amenities and gifts!

Thanks again,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

I love the Kimpton hotels...I have stayed at several and have always found them to be exquisite....until now.

I was optimistic when I arrived at the Monaco as the decor was absolutely breathtaking. However, it all went downhill from there. My room itself had an undeniable dog stench. (I had forgotten that they allow canines into the hotel.) I also found that two of the lamps in the room were broken. (No, it wasn't that the light bulbs needed changing - the fixtures were literally broken. I spent the evening praying that there wouldn't be an electrical fire.) Before retiring for the evening, I had been assured that there was 24 hour room service as well as 24 hour valet service. I explicitly requested a pot of coffee to be brought to my room at 5am as I had an early morning event the next day. The coffee never arrived. When I finally made my way to check out at 5:45am and asked if the valet could bring my car around, I was informed that the valet was delivering newspapers, but they could give me my key if I wanted to go the garage to find it myself.

Yeah.

I will never be staying at the Monaco again, which is too bad as the attached restaurant - the Jackson 20 - serves delicious food!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Dear kajones_2000,

I'm glad that we were able to speak on the phone so that I could listen to your concerns and address them appropriately, please accept my apologies again for the inconveniences you experienced.

Thank you very much for your feedback and we do hope to see you again to show you the great service we are capable of!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

A beautiful hotel in a beautiful location! Even though I didn't have my dog with me, I loved "Yappy Hour" in the cobblestone courtyard. The staff was helpful and friendly. The rooms were well-appointed and trendy. I would love to go back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear kimmyd05,

That's a great combination! Thank you very much for staying with us, and please do come back!

Binghamton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

This hotel stay was due to an overflow issue at the conference hotel. The lobby was a very ecclectic-bohemian feel yet comfortable, the staff was fantastic, the room was generous in size and comfort. They offered free coffee and tea every morning in the lobby for guests, with couches and chairs and a fireplace to relax by. Evenings, they offered free wine from 5-6pm which was great following all day conference. Very social time. Centered beautifully for a walk to the waterfront, great restaurants and shopping.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear denibeck,

That hotel's loss was our gain! Glad you enjoyed the hotel and thank you for the kind words abou the staff!

Safe travels,

Annevar, South Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2013

We spent the weekend of 4/19 at Hotel Monaco as part of a romantic getaway. Reservations were made online and a AAA discount was applied. The process was smooth, and there were no issues upon check-in or check-out.

We arrived late Friday evening (4/19). Knowing we were not going to check in until nearly midnight, we called the hotel to make them aware of our late arrival. They made a note on the file so as not to give our room away, for which we were thankful. Check-in was quick and easy, and the front desk staff was quick to help with our bags.

We stayed in a Monte Carlo Terrace Room. It is well-appointed with a king-sized bed, half couch, desk/chair, TV perched on a sizable dresser, and full closet. There is a stocked mini bar that also offers space our outside refreshments. Bath robes are available in unusual safari prints, a touch we rather enjoyed.

The bathroom includes a shower/tub and a toilet. The sink/mirror/vanity is separated from the shower/toilet by a half-wall, offering a bit of privacy. Towels and wash clothes were soft and plentiful, and water pressure sufficient. We never had a problem with not enough hot water.

A small terrace overlooks the courtyard and offers two (2) chairs and a small dining table. Note there is no significant "wall" between your terrace and the room next to you. Our particular room faced east, so we received morning sun; there are also terrace rooms on the west side of the hotel.

We did not utilize room service or housekeeping during our stay. However, housekeeping did call to confirm they did not make up the room per our request.

There were a number of weddings being held in the hotel during our stay, so the lobby area was quite busy with hotel and wedding guests. However, it is big enough that we didn't feel crowded or cramped and there are numerous sitting options. Coffee/Water is available throughout the day. The hotel caters to guests with dogs, so don't be surprised to see a number of canines lounging around.

The location is ideal for exploring Old Town Alexandria by foot, with a wide selection of eating, drinking, and shopping options within easy walking distance. The metro stop is about a mile away. Old Town was crowded throughout the weekend, so driving in/out was slow. We did not see many (if any) taxis.

Checkout is at noon (we appreciated the extra hour, as most places require an 11am checkout), and the process was smooth and easy. We used the hotel's valet parking ($25/day) and the wait time for the car was minimal.

Overall this was an exceptionally pleasant stay for us. The room was comfortable and relaxing, the location of the hotel was ideal for our purposes, and the price was fair. We hope we have the opportunity to return again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 765AC,

Well, thank you very much for taking the time to write this excellent and thorough review! We appreciate the kind words and hope that we will see you again soon.

Norfolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

A lovely small hotel right in Old Town. Everything was great! Large room and bathroom; nicely appointed; super comfy bed. (Loved the size of the bathroom!). We got there too late for the wine tasting but had all of Old Town right outside the door. Parking garage avail as well as valet parking. Loved the boutique hotel atmosphere, decor, and spirit ...we only stayed there one night but would absolutely stay here again.

Room Tip: We overlooked King Street and it was just fine so don't think you can go wrong.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear SavvyTaveler,

Thank you for staying with us! And for this wonderful review!

Hope you can stay longer next time!