“NICE HOTEL BUT” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Melbourne, Florida
“NICE HOTEL BUT”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

Overall we liked the Hotel Monaco in Alexandria. A great location downtown. The lobby is beautiful with amazing fresh flowers and a fireplace plus lots of room to sit and enjoy. The rooms are comfortable. We had a room overlooking the courtyard and enjoyed our stay. However, it is the little details that make or break a nice hotel. It seems the cleaning crew doesn't realize that they need to clean BOTH sides of a door and the double bathroom doors had dirty fingerprints on the inside. When you are paying $200 a night I expect a clean room. The bed was ok but the mattress needed replacement creaking loud enough to wake your partner when you got up or sat down. We loved the balcony and tried to enjoy a glass of wine while watching the goings on below in the courtyard but the table was so wobbly you really couldn't use it. Tried the cardboard under the legs but that didn't cure the problem. No coffee maker in the room was a disappointment as well. They have a small frig. packed with overpriced everything. The key didn't work in the lock and we had to go back down stairs to replace it. No room in it for anything you might bring in and want to cool. They have self serve coffee in the lobby each morning. At 5pm a staff member serves free wine, which was a nice touch. The staff was ok and went out of their way to open the lobby door every time we used it BUT darn guys if you are going to open the door for me hold it open from the outside rather than stand up against it so people can get out with having to turn sideways to keep from touching you. There were staff cleaning the lobby windows and inside woodwork while we were trying to enjoy the fire. One would think the cleaning would be done at 4 in the morning not at 5 in the afternoon. Would we stay again? Probably, but first we may look at the competition.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear marci477,

Thank you for choosing us, we appreciate your business! Thank you for your feedback as well, I did want to let you know that we have both coffee makers and refrigerators available upon request complimentary if you prefer to have them in your room.

The next time your travels bring you up this way, please contact me directly at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com and I will be happy to personally assist you.

Thanks again and take care,

1,133 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Binghamton, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This was our fourth stay at a Kimpton Hotel. Kimpton never disappoints! A doorman awaited us on each entry into the lobby from the street. Friendly staff. A very clean and updated hotel. A large lobby with a fireplace and numerous sofas and chairs for relaxing.

Our room overlooked the interior brick courtyard. We had a queen-size bed in a very spacious room. Large writing desk with swivel office chair. Upholstered chair with ottoman. Flat screen LG HD TV. iHome clock radio with iPod dock. Refrigerator (with mini-bar contents). Ironing board and iron. In-room safe. Lots of closet and dresser space. Roomy marble bathroom with separate sink area.

Nice touches: the usual Kimpton bathrobes in wild prints. Free wi-fi (worked great with my iPhone). AC outlets built in to the edge of the desk plus an Ethernet port. An AC outlet block on one of the nightstands (which also had USB ports for charging devices). I was very happy to have outlets to plug in my camera and phone chargers. Complimentary wine reception each evening.

We parked in the self-service underground parking garage. Easy drive in access from the side street (South Pitt Street). Walk-in access from the lobby or via the elevators, which go to both garage levels. Be warned - this is a VERY tight garage. Valet parking is available.

There is an adjoining restaurant, Jackson 20, with access from the lobby. We enjoyed a very nice breakfast here.

Dear TomKNY,

Excellent! So glad to hear you really enjoyed your stay, thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Please come back soon!

San Diego, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I've stayed at about 7 other Kimpton hotels in the US and this one is just not on par. They do not give you that Kimpton feeling that they are happy to see you or care that your guest needs are met.
The floor in the lobby is dusty and dirty. The public inside waste bins are all full. Two mornings in a row the complimentary coffee was gone at 8:45 am. When on the second day, I inquired as to whether there was more coffee coming they said yes but they were busy with a lot of guests. It seems they should know how many guests they have and plan accordingly. It took 20 minutes for them to refill coffee and another 5 for them to realize they needed cups too. Then they realized the milk and cream were gone too. This is also the first Kimpton where I have seen last night's room service linger on the hallway floors until morning.
Hopefully the other Kimptons in the area are better. If, like me, you stay at the Kimpton Hotels for the quaint things that make a hotel more pleasant, skip this one. You may as well stay at a Marriott or a Hilton.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Boganvillas,

Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your comments here. It hurts to read, to be honest, but is also motivating to make sure that we are more consistent in doing all the things that normally make us succesfull. Please accept my apologies for the fact that we did not live up to our standards on this visit.

If you are willing to give us another try, please email me directly and I will personally assist you. My email address is matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com.

Minnesota City, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed at this property for the second time in early April, 2013. I like the Kimpton brand and this property is very well located in Alexandria. Rooms are nicely appointed, and the property is in overall excellent condition. On this trip I found the staff to be abrupt and lacking in professional attitude . Here's a few examples: Upon check-in the clerk asked if I had stayed at this property before (since I'm a member of their loyalty program you'd think she would know that but...) I said yes. Expecting a "welcome back" greeting I was surprised to just be told "well then you know we serve coffee in the lobby, but on weekends it doesn't start until 7." Whatever, but it did remind me I needed to request a coffee maker for my room. She said housekeeping was closed, but she'd leave them a note. No coffee maker even after a reminder the second day.

I was traveling on business and also asked the best way to get to the Metro so I could make a meeting on time the next day. She said the best way was just to take the hotel shuttle to the airport and grab the Metro there. She said it left every hour on the hour. I confirmed this twice with two additional staff members the next morning. When I was ready to leave for the 'airport' I was directed to the front door to get the shuttle(I was there on time or a bit early). When no vehicle showed up I asked the person at the door where the shuttle was. He asked where I was going. I said the airport. He responded "the airport, or are you just going to the metro?" I acknowledged I was going to the metro. He said he was the shuttle driver, but he would not take me to the airport because there were no other guests going to the airport. I complained at the front desk, and the clerk said I missed the shuttle. I tried to explain I did not miss it, the driver refused to take me. She chose not to understand my complaint and said I must have missed the shuttle. I took a taxi to my meeting and complained about the uncooperative shuttle driver later that evening and I was reminded it was available every hour on the hour and it was the best way to get to the Metro. Grrrrr.

Finally, while I will give this property another chance, I do believe the staff needs training both in customer service and in the Kimpton brand standard. On several occasions non-uniformed staff were working behind the front desk, very sloppy. The door attendants often stood idly by as guests struggled loading and unloading their luggage as well.

I know they can do better and hope they stop taking advantage of their great location and remember a poor staff reflects on more than a single property but the whole brand.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Route 162,

Thank you for staying with us, and for being a Kimpton InTouch member. I was really dissappointed to read your survey, as we are definitely better than this and I apologize for the lack of service you recieved. We're here to help, not point you in different directions and I regret that we didn't prove that in this instance.

Thank you for saying that you are going to give us another try, and please reach out to me directly at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com and I will help ensure we provide you with the great experience you are used to at Kimpton Hotels.

Thanks again and take care,

Rockland, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The moment you walk into the lobby the color scheme jumps out at you. It is definitely different and nice. The room was spacious and clean. The hotel is located on King Street in Old Town which has a free trolley and is only a mile from the Metro with full access to Washington DC. The area is loaded with shops and restaurants. Great place to stay while visiting the nations capital.

Dear sgt_33,

Really glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel and your visit to Washington, D.C.. You're right, the free trolley and the metro both help make it very easy to explore downtown while staying in Old Town!

Thanks so much,

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This hotel is in a good location. Dog friendly. And nice for kids. Could be a bit better on service, but all in all a clean, vibrant kitchy place to stay. Emailed them a few days before and never heard back.

Room Tip: The corner room close to street level was noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear ilovetravel218,

Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your comments here. I'm dissappointed that we didn't respond to your email prior to arrival, if you do come back down this way, please email me directly and I will assist with anything you need - matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com.

Safe travels,

Penndel, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

First time we stayed in Alexandria, loved it! What a dog friendly town (although we are cat people). Hotel was wonderful, quiet, extremely clean, best location in town. Even had a goldfish delivered to out room (Nemo). Emailed a few days before asking about a refrigerator and coffee maker, both were in the room when we arrived, a kuerig (my favorite). Would never know that dogs were present based on cleanliness and quiet. Go for the courtyard room, great outdoor balcony.

Room Tip: Courtyard room with balcony
Dear Deb5564,

Thank you for choosing us on your first trip to Old Town Alexandria - we apprecaite your business! I'm glad to hear you really enjoyed your visit!

Hope you come back soon,

Matt

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!