“Not like other Kimptons” 3 of 5 stars

Breakfast for $1
Ranked #6 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
San Diego, CA
“Not like other Kimptons”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I've stayed at about 7 other Kimpton hotels in the US and this one is just not on par. They do not give you that Kimpton feeling that they are happy to see you or care that your guest needs are met.
The floor in the lobby is dusty and dirty. The public inside waste bins are all full. Two mornings in a row the complimentary coffee was gone at 8:45 am. When on the second day, I inquired as to whether there was more coffee coming they said yes but they were busy with a lot of guests. It seems they should know how many guests they have and plan accordingly. It took 20 minutes for them to refill coffee and another 5 for them to realize they needed cups too. Then they realized the milk and cream were gone too. This is also the first Kimpton where I have seen last night's room service linger on the hallway floors until morning.
Hopefully the other Kimptons in the area are better. If, like me, you stay at the Kimpton Hotels for the quaint things that make a hotel more pleasant, skip this one. You may as well stay at a Marriott or a Hilton.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Boganvillas,

Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your comments here. It hurts to read, to be honest, but is also motivating to make sure that we are more consistent in doing all the things that normally make us succesfull. Please accept my apologies for the fact that we did not live up to our standards on this visit.

If you are willing to give us another try, please email me directly and I will personally assist you. My email address is matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com.

1,063 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (236)
Minnesota City, Minnesota
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed at this property for the second time in early April, 2013. I like the Kimpton brand and this property is very well located in Alexandria. Rooms are nicely appointed, and the property is in overall excellent condition. On this trip I found the staff to be abrupt and lacking in professional attitude . Here's a few examples: Upon check-in the clerk asked if I had stayed at this property before (since I'm a member of their loyalty program you'd think she would know that but...) I said yes. Expecting a "welcome back" greeting I was surprised to just be told "well then you know we serve coffee in the lobby, but on weekends it doesn't start until 7." Whatever, but it did remind me I needed to request a coffee maker for my room. She said housekeeping was closed, but she'd leave them a note. No coffee maker even after a reminder the second day.

I was traveling on business and also asked the best way to get to the Metro so I could make a meeting on time the next day. She said the best way was just to take the hotel shuttle to the airport and grab the Metro there. She said it left every hour on the hour. I confirmed this twice with two additional staff members the next morning. When I was ready to leave for the 'airport' I was directed to the front door to get the shuttle(I was there on time or a bit early). When no vehicle showed up I asked the person at the door where the shuttle was. He asked where I was going. I said the airport. He responded "the airport, or are you just going to the metro?" I acknowledged I was going to the metro. He said he was the shuttle driver, but he would not take me to the airport because there were no other guests going to the airport. I complained at the front desk, and the clerk said I missed the shuttle. I tried to explain I did not miss it, the driver refused to take me. She chose not to understand my complaint and said I must have missed the shuttle. I took a taxi to my meeting and complained about the uncooperative shuttle driver later that evening and I was reminded it was available every hour on the hour and it was the best way to get to the Metro. Grrrrr.

Finally, while I will give this property another chance, I do believe the staff needs training both in customer service and in the Kimpton brand standard. On several occasions non-uniformed staff were working behind the front desk, very sloppy. The door attendants often stood idly by as guests struggled loading and unloading their luggage as well.

I know they can do better and hope they stop taking advantage of their great location and remember a poor staff reflects on more than a single property but the whole brand.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear Route 162,

Thank you for staying with us, and for being a Kimpton InTouch member. I was really dissappointed to read your survey, as we are definitely better than this and I apologize for the lack of service you recieved. We're here to help, not point you in different directions and I regret that we didn't prove that in this instance.

Thank you for saying that you are going to give us another try, and please reach out to me directly at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com and I will help ensure we provide you with the great experience you are used to at Kimpton Hotels.

Thanks again and take care,

Rockland, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

The moment you walk into the lobby the color scheme jumps out at you. It is definitely different and nice. The room was spacious and clean. The hotel is located on King Street in Old Town which has a free trolley and is only a mile from the Metro with full access to Washington DC. The area is loaded with shops and restaurants. Great place to stay while visiting the nations capital.

Dear sgt_33,

Really glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel and your visit to Washington, D.C.. You're right, the free trolley and the metro both help make it very easy to explore downtown while staying in Old Town!

Thanks so much,

New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

This hotel is in a good location. Dog friendly. And nice for kids. Could be a bit better on service, but all in all a clean, vibrant kitchy place to stay. Emailed them a few days before and never heard back.

Room Tip: The corner room close to street level was noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear ilovetravel218,

Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your comments here. I'm dissappointed that we didn't respond to your email prior to arrival, if you do come back down this way, please email me directly and I will assist with anything you need - matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com.

Safe travels,

Penndel, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

First time we stayed in Alexandria, loved it! What a dog friendly town (although we are cat people). Hotel was wonderful, quiet, extremely clean, best location in town. Even had a goldfish delivered to out room (Nemo). Emailed a few days before asking about a refrigerator and coffee maker, both were in the room when we arrived, a kuerig (my favorite). Would never know that dogs were present based on cleanliness and quiet. Go for the courtyard room, great outdoor balcony.

Room Tip: Courtyard room with balcony
Dear Deb5564,

Thank you for choosing us on your first trip to Old Town Alexandria - we apprecaite your business! I'm glad to hear you really enjoyed your visit!

Hope you come back soon,

Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

booked at the last minute for a special occasion.,, we had an awesome stay, not a cookie cutter chain hotel, on a very active street with lots to do and see right down town ole Alexandria. It was a good choice, welcomed from the start to the end,,, with wine reception in a well appointed lobby, the staff were all on their "A" game it was perfect,,,

Dear bigcreek,

Thank you! I will pass along the "A" game comment to the staff and congratulate them on a job well done.

Thank you very much for choosing us for your stay while visiting Old Town Alexandria.

Safe travels,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

Stayed 5 nights over Easter weekend while visiting family. Very pleasant staff especially the doormen. Vibrant lobby for socializing with guests. Fun daily free wine hour in afternoon. Hotel decor unique. Large room and bathroom beautiful, neat and very clean. Beds comfy with plenty of pillows. Lighting good and nice magnifying mirror. Quiet and no bad odors anywhere. Best location for walking Old Town. Great people and dog watching. Nice pool but did not have time to use it . Small but suitable workout room. Used treadmill daily but a small fan would have be helpful. Hope to visit often and will not bother to check out any other hotels.

Room Tip: 4th floor. Good view for people watching on King St. No noise and we were right across from elevat...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Nina W,

Thank you for your business over the holiday weekend and we too hope to have you stay here and not bother with any other hotels! Sounds like a deal to me! Please feel free to email me directly if I can be of personal assistance - matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com

Thanks,

Matt

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!