“The second experience was better than the first” 5 of 5 stars

Upgrade Your Stay
Ranked #5 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
The Villages, Florida
“The second experience was better than the first”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

This is the second time we have visited the Monaco Alexandria in the past seven months. This time for a longer stay. This hotel is loaded with amenities and comfort. The morning is off to a good start with coffee and tea in the lobby, and your evening is also off to an excellent start with the complimentary wine service in the late afternoon. The location could not be better. The free trolley runs up and down King St., you are near all sorts of shops, restaurants and the water front.
However, it seemed to us on this second visit, that all of these amenities are second, to the warm feeling, that every employee we encountered gave us during our stay. In the hallway, elevator, front door, garage and front desk, these employees make you feel really important.
If you want a great travel experience and are in Old Town Alexandria, then by all means stay at the Monaco.
Joe & Ann A.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Dear Joe A,

Thank you for this wonderful review! Your kind words about the staff are very much appreciated!

Looking forward to seeing you again soon,

Matt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
Tyrone, Georgia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Monaco is a great hotel with nice rooms and staff and is in a great location. You can take the free King St. trolley to the train station, and you are steps from the waterfront and great shops and restaurants. However, on this stay the staff dropped the ball more than once. They told us they would call us when our room was ready, they did not. Our toilet was broken and it took them 3 times to get it fixed correctly. And for some odd reason, the pool closes in the middle of the day from 10am until 2pm. When we asked for a late check out, they only gave us 30 minutes. There were additional small things which were not a big deal, but taken together we felt we paid too much for our stay. The hotel did credit us $44 for our 2 day stay and apologized for the problems. I am hoping it was just a bad day because I would like to stay there again. My kids loved the goldfish in the room, movie at the pool, in room Ihome, and the soft robes for us all to wear..they also put a chalkboard in our room that welcomed us to the hotel. Nice touches.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Melissa H,

Thank you for choosing us, and for taking the time to share your comments here. While I'm glad that your overall experience was good, I really want to apologize for the few missed items you mentioned here, especially the lack of follow up.

We can do better! Please email me at your convenience when you are planning a return visit to the area and I will personally assist you with reservations and anything that you or the family may need. matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com

Thanks and take care,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed just one night with my husband. Loved the beautiful and eclectic decor, the wine happy hour, the working fireplace in the lobby and the welcoming staff...
The bed was super comfortable - and Im picky- the bathroom generously sized, and everything felt so chic and stylish...
Two small things - the walls seem thin as the small children using outside voices in the room next to us sounded like they were in our room :) in the morning. We asked the front desk if the meters were running for the Presidents' Day holiday. They investigated and said yes... So we paid 25$ for valet, only to read the meter sign the next day that said except holidays... Partly our fault, as we could have read the sign, just something we thought they maybe should have known... At any rate, it was less stressful with the car parked at the hotel, so we weren't too upset.
Would I stay here again... Absolutely...

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Overseasamerican,

Thank you so much for staying with us, we really appreciate your business! Glad to hear that your enjoyed this brief stay and we look forward to you coming back to stay a little longer next time hopefully!

I apologize about the incorrect information given about the parking meters, I regret that we misinformed you.

Take care and safe travels,

Fort Mill, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed here as part of a Wyndham resort sales pitch, so the room was comped but this was the first hotel of this caliber my 16 yo stayed in and he really liked it. the beds were comfy, the noise level was acceptable. Althought we refused daily service (hard with a teen have to clean up every day) they did call and ask if we needed anything which was nice.

Good walking distance to some really nice restaurants. A bit distant from the Metro station but we managed.

the only complaint I had was the cost to park overnight. to leave the car there 24 hours it cost $25. So my 3 day stay was a bit shocking at $75.

Would I stay here again, absolutely.

Room Tip: Stay away from ice machines and off the 3rd floor where the pool and gym are located. We had a Kin...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear hrd24gt,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review! We appreciate our partnership with Wyndham vacations and your business as a result!

We hope you come back soon,

New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed at the Hotel Monaco, Alexandria in March 2013. Our accommodations were a Mediterranean Suite connected to a Loft Suite. Had a delayed response in our accommodations requiry but the GM, Matthew Hurlburt, was quick to step in and rectify. Let me note that Mr. Hurlburt is a hands on manager and does not hesitate to communicate directly with his guests. It's a shame that some of the staff does not share his views on service.

Facade:
I was contacted 2 days prior to our arrival via email by a guest service manager asking if we needed anything let would enhance our stay. Overall, we got the impression that the hotel was very guest oriented thru our communications with staff and the website.
Reality:
Pulled up to hotel in taxi, I had to unload luggage for 4 people while the doorman watched me as he was more concerned with valet parking, I assume it's more of a financial incentive for him to cater to the valet parking.
Checked in at Front Desk, waited 10 minutes for bellman. Bellman explained it was very busy. This is not an excuse for hospitality workers as I am paying the same rate whether it's busy or not. As part of my rate is for service, unless you are willing to decrease my rate at "busy" time, don't even use this as an excuse.
Facade:
Wine Hour at 5:00pm each day.
Reality:
This just turns the lobby into a zoo at that time.
Companion Goldfish
Reality:
Requested one for my daughter but was told there was no more available. Um, this is one of your signature gimmick, it's like going to Starbucks and then being told there was no more coffee.
Chic / Eclectic design
Reality:
Look closely, lamps were of poor design, loose sockets. The overall "mood" lighting throughout the property gives the impression of trying too hard to be hip.

Overall, due to the limited options of accommodations in Alexandria and the monopoly that Kimpton have in the town, their hotels are probably the best options that you have. I would most likely stay in DC or National Harbor next time I'm in town. As in reading other reviews for the Kimpton properties in Alexandria, it seems to be their MO to comp guests wines/snacks when there are issues. In my opinion, I rather have things right the first time. The concept behind Kimpton is good, the issue is in the delivery.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear jo2er,

Thank you for choosing us for your family weekend here in Old Town Alexandria, and for the kind words about me in your post. Unfortunately we fell short on your stay and I am very sorry about that.

You are absolutely right, the fact that the hotel was extremely busy that weekend is no excuse for not providing excellent service. As many travelers remark here, our staff welcoming them upon arrival at the Front Door and offering assistance is an essential piece of our service that helps us attract more and more customers each year. We will certainly not lose sight of that and will use your feedback to strengthen our commitment to it.

Please reach out to me directly if you do decide to provide us another opportunity to serve you in the future, I'm confident that we can provide you with a great experience and exceed your expectations.

Poughkeepsie, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

After staying in Dec 2012, we broke our NC-NY trip in half by staying at the Monaco Alexandria in March 13.
To my previous review, I can only add that once again we asked for and received an upgrade, and this time we did attend happy hour -- not only complimentary red and white wine, but also complimentary sake with apples and complimentary Manhattans, mixed on the spot. I had my first in about 40 years, and it was good: mixed about 2:1, with a hefty dose of bitters to cut the sweet vermouth's sweetness. We splurged on breakfast in the room: delivered graciously and on time. When we called for help with our bags on leaving, the bellhop was so prompt that we had not yet zipped up the last bag

Room Tip: I have not been in a standard room; every time I have been offered an upgrade, generally at $20, and...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Weyden,

So glad to have been your hotel of choice in the D.C. area during your North-South trips this winter! Thanks for coming back after the first visit, and we hope there will be many more!

It was nice meeting you on this last stay, please reach out to me at anytime if I can help in the future.

Take care and safe travels,

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

When another Kimpton hotel overbooked our stay we were rebooked at The Monaco. When your normal hotel experience includes Hampton Inns and the like, stepping into the Monaco was a great fun new experience. The staff was friendly and helpful. It was a pleasure to see a hotel with an open animal policy. We did not bring our pup with us so we had a non-animal floor and did not notice any animal smells. The hotel offered services including a companion goldfish for your stay and complimentary wine service from 5-6 each night. It was a fun hotel and would stay there again.

Dear Dbycoach,

That hotel's loss was our gain I guess, at least it is all part of the Kimpton family! Glad you enjoyed your stay here and thanks for taking the time to share your comments here.

Hope to see you back again soon!

Matt

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!