“Perfect” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Acworth, Georgia
“Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

I must qualify my post so as not to mislead. Perfect was the Hotel Monaco; not so perfect the Jackson 20 Restaurant which is associated with the hotel. The hotel staff didn’t miss a beat during my most recent visit. From check-in to check-out I looked forward to returning to the hotel every evening. I had a bit of a bumpy ride on a previous visit, but the Hotel Monaco is back on top. I am looking to return to the area in the near future and the Hotel Monaco will be my place of respite.
I will address the Jackson 20 Restaurant in a separate posting.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear ISC624,

Thank you for this review! I went back and read your posting from the last stay in September, and did of course get a quick laugh from your wine-mating comments, but also was very proud that we delivered on our attention to detail this time.

Thanks for being such a loyal customer, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

I didn't see the post for Jackson 20, if you would like to send the comments directly to me at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com, I'd be happy to share them with the restaurant's management team and help personally as well.

Matt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Philadelphia Burbs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Monaco on January 26, 2013 to celebrate my husband's birthday. You can't beat the location. We parked the car and walked everywhere. Old Town Alexandria has many shops, pups and restaurants all within walking distance. The hotel has complementary wine tasting in the lobby from 5-6 which was a lot of fun. Our room was nicely decorated and clean. The hotel staff left a cupcake and balloon in our room for my husband's birthday which I thought was a nice touch. We did have some maintanance issues with a missing lock to the balcony and a ugly ceiling patch. We also had an issue with our room cards not working. But after I mentioned this to them they were very quick to apologize and offer us free parking. I mentioned this all again on a survey after our trip and received a person email from the hotel manager apologizing. I am still giving 5 stars because the staff was so friendly and attentive. I am hoping our "issues" truely were just the one offs and not a common occurance. Next time we visit Alexandria we will stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LovetoTravel3573,

Thank you for choosing us on your trip down here to celebrate your husband's birthday, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed both the hotel and Old Town Alexandria!

We have fixed those items noted in the room you stayed in, I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. It is great to hear that you will be staying with us again on your next trip however, we are looking forward to seeing you again!

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

A fantastic hotel! Our room was extremely roomy and very well furnished. The hotel is immaculate. The staff were friendly and helpful. Would strongly recommend this hotel! The town of Alexandria is very beautiful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Powersaw,

We thank you and the town of Alexandria thanks you! Appreciate your business and for taking the time to share these wonderful comments!

Safe Travels,

WASHINGTON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

I have stayed here at the Monaco in Alexandria many times and have always had a very good time.
My most recent stay (2/13-2/20) I had too many customer service issues to suit me. For those wanting the short version, this hotel is still a nice place to stay and I will continue to recommend it.
The location is Old Town Alexandria is near perfect, and the Kimpton happy hour in the lobby is always wonderful. I'm going to be very exacting with the issues, so bare with me...Now for the other side...We checked into room 519, called a deluxe double by the cheery member of the front desk staff. I plunked down my Kimpton in touch card and the staff said "No need, you booked through Howire so the card doesn't matter." From previous visits, I know this Kimpton does not give you the $10 off the minibar, the free newspaper or "credit" for visiting a Kimpton. I wrote Kimpton about this and it seems to be an option each property can exercise. I think it is a bad move on the Monaco's part, and it is not acceptable to "demean" a reservation because one booked through site X. Yes, Kimpton will match 3rd party sites, but not blind bidding (Hotwire) sites. So I started our stay with a bad taste in my mouth.
The room was near the elevators (noise averse, don't book this room!) which was fine. The room looked good and was quite spacious. We went to the rest room to turn on the hot water in the faucet...and it was cold...eventually getting to luke warm. No big deal, as the shower/tub water seemed fine. The next day, I called the front desk to have them address the problem. When we got back to the room, a card was placed under the tv saying the problem had been corrected by person x (name deleted to protect the guilty). We tried the water...still the same cold to luke warm. The next day, I called the front desk and told them to send someone up and I would wait to show them the problem. They did, and I showed the very nice gentleman what was wrong. He went under the sink and said he would have to check something on the 2nd floor. We said fine, and we left the room. As you might gather, when we returned, the problem still remained. No note from him or the staff about this. Of course, that is not all. The housekeeping staff evidently is not taking care to replenish and remake the rooms as they have in the past. This trip, we had to call housekeeping directly every day to make sure they changed the sheets. In the past, each room would have a card that you would leave on the bed to indicate if you wanted the sheets changed. We had no such card, so we called every day. My lady called the front desk on our 6th night to ask about the card...they said there should have been one in the room. One was not given to us at any point in our stay. The housekeepers did not replenish our body wash (again, we had to ask) and did not regularly replace used water glasses (they did sometimes). Lastly, on our last day, I noticed one of the bathrobes (the tiger stripe) was missing!
I know it was there, as my lady enjoys wearing the robes during the stay. Also, I noticed one beverage slot was empty in the mini bar. I can't swear a beverage was in that spot, but there might have been. I was really irritated after all this, and I may have been a bit too brusque (according to my lady) with the front desk staff. An East Indian staffer asked "How was the service?" and I said mediocre at best. I was half expecting a query as to why, but I got no such thing. I told her about the missing robe and the missing beverage and asked (...well...told) her not to put these on my bill. She noted something on the computer and we left. For those that have read this far, I thought the doorpersons were great and the Jackson 20 (restaurant) staff were all wonderful! But I have written all this in hopes the Monaco won't rest on their laurels. This is one of my favorite hotels, but I bet they don't even know how many times I have stayed with them because of their refusal to acknowledge their In Touch membership cards for discounted rate guests. Their customer service responses were not up to the Kimpton standard. I'm hoping this is just a anomaly and that our next stay will be better. I will be back, but I'll be checking on their service levels. It is so easy to let things slide...I don't want to see the Monaco slip to mediocrity...

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms near the elevators (x17-21) if you want quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear 1Jp1,

Thank you so much for this, even though it of course hurts a little to read! I'm so sorry about the issues you experienced with both the service and lack of hot water, we both know we are better than this and we have already utilized your feedback to help make sure we avoid these incidents in the future.

While it is Kimpton's policy to not provide In Touch benefits on reservations booked through OTA's, they certainly provide us with some latitude on the property level and I personally will be happy to give you those benefits on your stays moving forward. Please reach out to me directly at anytime - matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com - and I will personally help set that up for you as well as select a room that fits your preferences. In fact, I can also book the reservations directly if you like!

I'm confident in telling you that we are not slipping, we are more motivated today than ever and we are more focused on creating great personal experiences for each and every guest. We are looking forward to your next stay to prove that to you as well!

Thank you so much for your business and I hope to hear from you soon,

columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

With an outstanding location (King Street), this boutique hotel provides a welcoming atmosphere, comfortable surroundings, and professional yet friendly/helpful staff. The room was not only comfortable, (comfortable bed), but the hotel works to limit its impact on the environment with lighting and providing a recycling receptacle. The room/bathroom was very clean. In the afternoon, there is a reception in the small lobby that promotes a friendly atmosphere. Also, the hotel is pet friendly. Although we did not take a pet, we loved the fact they were there! I believe the dogs encourage friendliness and prompting guests, who do not know one another, to engage in conversation. We were at the hotel for a wedding and although we did not eat in the restaurant, the quality of the food at the wedding reception was very good!

Room Tip: sign up for the loyalty program for free wifi, newspaper
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear 67kewpie,

Thank you for this review! It's very kind of you to note the quality of the hotel, guestrooms, and service recieved from the staff to go along with our location on King Street in the heart of Old Town.

We are fortunate to host many weddings here, and the opportunity to hopefully win over guests of the wedding party that may not know of us is something we are eager to take advantage of. Glad you have become a fan!

Doylestown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Where can I start? How about check in,

1. Front desk very friendly. ( always confirm your reservation if you don't hear from the Hotel ) check in was perfect for me.

2. My room was clean and comfy and decorated with great taste. My little dog loved his bed and cookies ;) great view of King Street / Lobby is warm and inviting , I loved that I could sit and talk with other guests it felt like family.

3: location is perfect.. Everything I could need is within walking distance. 24 hr. CVS, restaurants and shops .

4. Parking is 25.00 a night. You can go in and out , but front doormen and valet constantly needing tips ? Adds up if your using your car. Bring dollar bills.

5. I wish when I booked my room someone would have told me about the room specials ? I could have saved some money. So check! I know I will next time.

6. Finally ...we LOVED it. And I am now a Kimpton fan and will tell everyone how terrific the Hotel Monaco is! *Don't forget to join the Kimpton reward program for some cool benefits .

• Stayed February 2013
Dear mamap1221,

So glad you loved us, we feel the same! Thanks very much for taking the time to write this wonderful review, we really appreciate your business and the fact that you are out there spreading the word about our little hotel!

Can't wait to see you again, please come back soon!

Basking Ridge, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I recently visited this hotel with 10 of my friends and we all agreed that this was a fabulous hotel ideally located in the heart of Old Town Alexandria! The rooms were beautiful, the beds were comfortable and the staff was great! I'm looking forward to returning to this hotel when the weather gets warmer!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony but not at the end of the halls near the staff services they are locat...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear MMK1_12,

Thank you so much! We're lucky you found us, and now looking forward to your next visit in the spring or summer!

Jackson 20, our restaurant, does great events all summer long in our courtyard, from concerts to pig roasts to crab feasts to wine tastings and more. It's a lot of fun and as you can tell always includes some kind of food and drink because, really, why not?!

Thanks again and take care,

Matt

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!