“A Charmer in Alexandria” 4 of 5 stars

Breakfast for $1
Ranked #6 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
columbia
“A Charmer in Alexandria”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

With an outstanding location (King Street), this boutique hotel provides a welcoming atmosphere, comfortable surroundings, and professional yet friendly/helpful staff. The room was not only comfortable, (comfortable bed), but the hotel works to limit its impact on the environment with lighting and providing a recycling receptacle. The room/bathroom was very clean. In the afternoon, there is a reception in the small lobby that promotes a friendly atmosphere. Also, the hotel is pet friendly. Although we did not take a pet, we loved the fact they were there! I believe the dogs encourage friendliness and prompting guests, who do not know one another, to engage in conversation. We were at the hotel for a wedding and although we did not eat in the restaurant, the quality of the food at the wedding reception was very good!

Room Tip: sign up for the loyalty program for free wifi, newspaper
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear 67kewpie,

Thank you for this review! It's very kind of you to note the quality of the hotel, guestrooms, and service recieved from the staff to go along with our location on King Street in the heart of Old Town.

We are fortunate to host many weddings here, and the opportunity to hopefully win over guests of the wedding party that may not know of us is something we are eager to take advantage of. Glad you have become a fan!

1,069 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Doylestown, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

Where can I start? How about check in,

1. Front desk very friendly. ( always confirm your reservation if you don't hear from the Hotel ) check in was perfect for me.

2. My room was clean and comfy and decorated with great taste. My little dog loved his bed and cookies ;) great view of King Street / Lobby is warm and inviting , I loved that I could sit and talk with other guests it felt like family.

3: location is perfect.. Everything I could need is within walking distance. 24 hr. CVS, restaurants and shops .

4. Parking is 25.00 a night. You can go in and out , but front doormen and valet constantly needing tips ? Adds up if your using your car. Bring dollar bills.

5. I wish when I booked my room someone would have told me about the room specials ? I could have saved some money. So check! I know I will next time.

6. Finally ...we LOVED it. And I am now a Kimpton fan and will tell everyone how terrific the Hotel Monaco is! *Don't forget to join the Kimpton reward program for some cool benefits .

• Stayed February 2013
Dear mamap1221,

So glad you loved us, we feel the same! Thanks very much for taking the time to write this wonderful review, we really appreciate your business and the fact that you are out there spreading the word about our little hotel!

Can't wait to see you again, please come back soon!

Basking Ridge, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I recently visited this hotel with 10 of my friends and we all agreed that this was a fabulous hotel ideally located in the heart of Old Town Alexandria! The rooms were beautiful, the beds were comfortable and the staff was great! I'm looking forward to returning to this hotel when the weather gets warmer!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony but not at the end of the halls near the staff services they are locat...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear MMK1_12,

Thank you so much! We're lucky you found us, and now looking forward to your next visit in the spring or summer!

Jackson 20, our restaurant, does great events all summer long in our courtyard, from concerts to pig roasts to crab feasts to wine tastings and more. It's a lot of fun and as you can tell always includes some kind of food and drink because, really, why not?!

Thanks again and take care,

Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed at the Monaco last year on a driving trip south with our two small dogs. The experience for us (and the dogs) was just great, so we booked an overnight stay this year on our way to Georgia. Service personnel are friendly and helpful, the room was beautiful and very clearn, enhanced by a dog pillow and a water bowl in place when we arrived. We always stay at pet friendly Kimpton when we can. They often are the best hotels around, be they in Washington,, Miami or San Francisco. We highly recommend this hotel group and the Monaco.

Room Tip: We like to be close to the elevator to get the dogs out for their walk.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Monomoy,

Thank you for making us your go-to hotel whenever travelling through the area! We appreciate your business and that you took the time to share your comments here!

Looking forward to your next visit, please let me know if I can ever be of personal assistance.

Safe travels,

Springfield, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Let me just start off by saying if you can avoid the frustrating circumstances we encountered, this hotel would be near perfect. Its ambiance is beautiful and lively, attendants are nice and welcoming, the rooms are spacious and cozy, and the wine reception was a definite plus. The 25 dollar valet parking isn't really as bad as people make it out to be relative to the surrounding area. Unfortunately for us, we encountered some issues. My girlfriend and I got King Premiere room for the Jacuzzi tub. However by the time we snuck in from the cold and slipped in it was about 10:30pm and found the jets wouldn't work. It essentially became a big bath tub. Not quite as romantic and I could've done the King Deluxe for a $100 less. I called Guest Services and they wanted to send a engineer but it was a little late for that. I would've been fine if that was the end of it but after a late night, we got a urgent sounding phone call at 9:30am saying that there were tub troubles in the area and I needed to let someone in. I waited for 20 minutes and no one showed. I called down and they contacted the guy to actually show up. When he got there he let me know there was no urgent emergency just that they sent him to come fix the tub way before checkout time which was a tad rude and inappropriate. I sent him away when he agreed he could do this later. I tried going back to sleep for a little but was interrupted twice more by staff trying to come service the room. I don't know about you but I think that they should try to do that AFTER checkout. Guest Services was very apologetic at checkout and even waived my parking fee since they couldn't change room rate. In summary, it has a potential to be a lovely near perfect hotel but those incidents left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Jesse H,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, I feel awful about the jets not working on the jacuzzi tub, and the staff interuptions that followed, but it definitely helps to hear so we can address it. You are totally right, we should have planned better on when to go into the room and address the issue, I'm sorry that we disturbed your chance to catch up on some rest!

Thanks for the kind words about the hotel and staff, please consider coming back and email me directly if you like as I can personally help with reservations and provide the upgrade for you on me next time. Matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com

Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We had a lovely stay at the Monaco Alexandria while visiting the area last fall. The first room we got was not cleaned/finished, and we were given the option to wait until they finish it or to get another room. We chose a new room, which was perfect. We had a nice view of the street, and enjoyed some people watching. It was very quiet all night - no noise from the street or from other guests. The room seemed clean and the beds were comfortable.

We had complimentary breakfast at the hotel, and both the pancakes and the oatmeal were good. There was also a wine reception in the lobby every afternoon (I think?), but we missed this due to our tight schedule.

The customer service at this hotel was professional and friendly, and we felt welcome from the moment we walked in.

The location of the hotel is fabulous, and you can take a nice walk from the hotel in either direction. There are numerous shopping and dining options nearby. Parking was convenient in the garage of the hotel, if not a little pricy.

We would definitely be happy to stay here again, and would recommend the hotel to our friends and family as well. The hotel is said to be dog friendly, but unfortunately, we didn't see any furry guests this time...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear applesaucedk,

Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your feedback here! You apparently came a long way, glad to hear that both the hotel and Old Town Alexandria lived up to your expectations!

We are so pet friendly that we even have a dog on staff, our Pet Ambassador Charlie would be happy to come out and say hello if you are missing a furry friend from home!

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed here on a business trip, it is wonderfully comfortable and convenient to all the fun. There is always fresh lemon water and a tea service in the lobby. The lobby is a comfortable for reading or having drinks with a friends.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear PrtyGrl9014,

Thank you for your business! Although a lot of guests find us here on TripAdvisor for their own leisure/vacation travel, we really work hard to also be a great option for business travelers in the area as well.

Please let me know if I can ever be of personal assistance, I would be happy to help!

Matt

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!