“MONACO IN ALEXANDRIA IS TOPS” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast for $1
Ranked #7 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Boston
“MONACO IN ALEXANDRIA IS TOPS”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed at the Monaco last year on a driving trip south with our two small dogs. The experience for us (and the dogs) was just great, so we booked an overnight stay this year on our way to Georgia. Service personnel are friendly and helpful, the room was beautiful and very clearn, enhanced by a dog pillow and a water bowl in place when we arrived. We always stay at pet friendly Kimpton when we can. They often are the best hotels around, be they in Washington,, Miami or San Francisco. We highly recommend this hotel group and the Monaco.

Room Tip: We like to be close to the elevator to get the dogs out for their walk.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Monomoy,

Thank you for making us your go-to hotel whenever travelling through the area! We appreciate your business and that you took the time to share your comments here!

Looking forward to your next visit, please let me know if I can ever be of personal assistance.

Safe travels,

1,114 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (258)
Springfield, Virginia, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Let me just start off by saying if you can avoid the frustrating circumstances we encountered, this hotel would be near perfect. Its ambiance is beautiful and lively, attendants are nice and welcoming, the rooms are spacious and cozy, and the wine reception was a definite plus. The 25 dollar valet parking isn't really as bad as people make it out to be relative to the surrounding area. Unfortunately for us, we encountered some issues. My girlfriend and I got King Premiere room for the Jacuzzi tub. However by the time we snuck in from the cold and slipped in it was about 10:30pm and found the jets wouldn't work. It essentially became a big bath tub. Not quite as romantic and I could've done the King Deluxe for a $100 less. I called Guest Services and they wanted to send a engineer but it was a little late for that. I would've been fine if that was the end of it but after a late night, we got a urgent sounding phone call at 9:30am saying that there were tub troubles in the area and I needed to let someone in. I waited for 20 minutes and no one showed. I called down and they contacted the guy to actually show up. When he got there he let me know there was no urgent emergency just that they sent him to come fix the tub way before checkout time which was a tad rude and inappropriate. I sent him away when he agreed he could do this later. I tried going back to sleep for a little but was interrupted twice more by staff trying to come service the room. I don't know about you but I think that they should try to do that AFTER checkout. Guest Services was very apologetic at checkout and even waived my parking fee since they couldn't change room rate. In summary, it has a potential to be a lovely near perfect hotel but those incidents left a bad taste in my mouth.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Jesse H,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, I feel awful about the jets not working on the jacuzzi tub, and the staff interuptions that followed, but it definitely helps to hear so we can address it. You are totally right, we should have planned better on when to go into the room and address the issue, I'm sorry that we disturbed your chance to catch up on some rest!

Thanks for the kind words about the hotel and staff, please consider coming back and email me directly if you like as I can personally help with reservations and provide the upgrade for you on me next time. Matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com

Take care,

Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We had a lovely stay at the Monaco Alexandria while visiting the area last fall. The first room we got was not cleaned/finished, and we were given the option to wait until they finish it or to get another room. We chose a new room, which was perfect. We had a nice view of the street, and enjoyed some people watching. It was very quiet all night - no noise from the street or from other guests. The room seemed clean and the beds were comfortable.

We had complimentary breakfast at the hotel, and both the pancakes and the oatmeal were good. There was also a wine reception in the lobby every afternoon (I think?), but we missed this due to our tight schedule.

The customer service at this hotel was professional and friendly, and we felt welcome from the moment we walked in.

The location of the hotel is fabulous, and you can take a nice walk from the hotel in either direction. There are numerous shopping and dining options nearby. Parking was convenient in the garage of the hotel, if not a little pricy.

We would definitely be happy to stay here again, and would recommend the hotel to our friends and family as well. The hotel is said to be dog friendly, but unfortunately, we didn't see any furry guests this time...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Dear applesaucedk,

Thank you for staying with us, and for sharing your feedback here! You apparently came a long way, glad to hear that both the hotel and Old Town Alexandria lived up to your expectations!

We are so pet friendly that we even have a dog on staff, our Pet Ambassador Charlie would be happy to come out and say hello if you are missing a furry friend from home!

Take care,

Charlotte, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed here on a business trip, it is wonderfully comfortable and convenient to all the fun. There is always fresh lemon water and a tea service in the lobby. The lobby is a comfortable for reading or having drinks with a friends.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear PrtyGrl9014,

Thank you for your business! Although a lot of guests find us here on TripAdvisor for their own leisure/vacation travel, we really work hard to also be a great option for business travelers in the area as well.

Please let me know if I can ever be of personal assistance, I would be happy to help!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a Staycation at this property, and had a lovely time. We are both concierges in the District, and will work on the 14th, so this was our "Pre-Valentine's" and it didn't disappoint.
The rooms are lovely--comfy beds and the tub was huge and had jacuzzi jets. The staff is friendly, and I couldn't help but notice how attentive the doormen were.
Like any Kimpton, they do a nice 5:00pm Wine Hour, and with our In Touch Membership we had free wifi and a "Raid the Minibar" credit--all much appreciated.
The gym was tiny but clean.
The location is pretty centrally located--not too far of a walk to the water, or any restaurants, bars or shops further up King Street.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MrsClyde,

This review, given your experience in the industry, is so wonderful to read and really validates what we are trying to do. I honestly tell my friends and family to come take a 'staycation' here as it really is a great, unique experience and Old Town Alexandria has so much to offer.

Thank you so much for choosing us out of all the options available to you, we appreciate your business!

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have to say that I was torn between the Lorien and Hotel Monaco when deciding to stay for he Obama Inauguration. I have stayed at a couple of hotels and had friends visiting from San Diego and South Africa and after so much back and forth i finally settled on Hotel Monaco and I must say this is one of the best choices i have ever made in my life. The rooms are very clean, staff friendly and they even matched my price down when i pointed to them that i saw another site with a lower price. After our 4 day stay In Alexandria , we spontaneously decided to go to New York and needless to say, we chose the Muse , another Kimpton Hotel and the praise cannot stop. A must stay place if you like space and comfort and by the way i am a very meticulous person when it comes to choosing hotels to stay.

Room Tip: never choose the room next to the pool. its smaller
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear katy G,

We are so grateful you chose us, and that you took the time to share these wonderful comments here. I'm glad that we worked out the discrepancy in your rate, and that you all enjoyed the weekend!

Please come back soon!

Bay Shore, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The atmosphere was very nice. The staff was friendly. I usually don't like animals in a hotel but I have changed my mind. Everyone was well behaved and quiet. The rooms were very nice. However, the wall were thin so you heard the hallway and elevator. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't get a room by the elevator.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Ruth47286,

Thank you for your business! And we really appreciate the kind words about the staff as well.

Come back soon!

Matt

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!