“A great boutique stay” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Charlotte, North Carolina
“A great boutique stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed here on a business trip, it is wonderfully comfortable and convenient to all the fun. There is always fresh lemon water and a tea service in the lobby. The lobby is a comfortable for reading or having drinks with a friends.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear PrtyGrl9014,

Thank you for your business! Although a lot of guests find us here on TripAdvisor for their own leisure/vacation travel, we really work hard to also be a great option for business travelers in the area as well.

Please let me know if I can ever be of personal assistance, I would be happy to help!

1,159 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (268)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a Staycation at this property, and had a lovely time. We are both concierges in the District, and will work on the 14th, so this was our "Pre-Valentine's" and it didn't disappoint.
The rooms are lovely--comfy beds and the tub was huge and had jacuzzi jets. The staff is friendly, and I couldn't help but notice how attentive the doormen were.
Like any Kimpton, they do a nice 5:00pm Wine Hour, and with our In Touch Membership we had free wifi and a "Raid the Minibar" credit--all much appreciated.
The gym was tiny but clean.
The location is pretty centrally located--not too far of a walk to the water, or any restaurants, bars or shops further up King Street.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MrsClyde,

This review, given your experience in the industry, is so wonderful to read and really validates what we are trying to do. I honestly tell my friends and family to come take a 'staycation' here as it really is a great, unique experience and Old Town Alexandria has so much to offer.

Thank you so much for choosing us out of all the options available to you, we appreciate your business!

Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have to say that I was torn between the Lorien and Hotel Monaco when deciding to stay for he Obama Inauguration. I have stayed at a couple of hotels and had friends visiting from San Diego and South Africa and after so much back and forth i finally settled on Hotel Monaco and I must say this is one of the best choices i have ever made in my life. The rooms are very clean, staff friendly and they even matched my price down when i pointed to them that i saw another site with a lower price. After our 4 day stay In Alexandria , we spontaneously decided to go to New York and needless to say, we chose the Muse , another Kimpton Hotel and the praise cannot stop. A must stay place if you like space and comfort and by the way i am a very meticulous person when it comes to choosing hotels to stay.

Room Tip: never choose the room next to the pool. its smaller
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear katy G,

We are so grateful you chose us, and that you took the time to share these wonderful comments here. I'm glad that we worked out the discrepancy in your rate, and that you all enjoyed the weekend!

Please come back soon!

Bay Shore, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The atmosphere was very nice. The staff was friendly. I usually don't like animals in a hotel but I have changed my mind. Everyone was well behaved and quiet. The rooms were very nice. However, the wall were thin so you heard the hallway and elevator. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't get a room by the elevator.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Ruth47286,

Thank you for your business! And we really appreciate the kind words about the staff as well.

Come back soon!

Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The decor is quirky but acceptable with some nice details. The room was spacious, the maid was thoughtful enough to keep the temperature at the room we set (and not freezing cold or boiling hot), the bathroom was also modern with nice decoration details. Above all the staff at both the front desk and the restaurant were charming and helpful. For a brief stay, I enjoyed it.

Only drawback was a smell of Sterno (or some other weird smell) in the main lobby. Perhaps better air venting?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear twets,

Thank you for trying us out and for sharing your thoughts here! I'll pass along your compliments to the Housekeeping team, they always enjoy the feedback and take pride in the service they provide.

My apologies for the odor you mentioned in the lobby, we have since investigated the cause and fixed it.

Safe travels and hope that you return some day soon!

Kittredge, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've stayed at all of the other Kimpton hotels in the Old Town Alexandra area. This one is the best by far. Great customer service, great price, great location, excellent ambiance AND a complimentary hotel room goldfish upon request. This is a pet friendly hotel and they go above and beyond to make you and your four legged friends feel welcome. Don't forget to request doggie bed, bowls and welcome kit with your reservation. This is now my go to 'home away from home' in Alexandria.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear lisanichols20,

Yes! Definitely going to brag about this with my friends at the other Kimpton's in Alexandria! Although I do have to say they have some great hotels, it's still nice to be put on top of your list!

Thank you for your business and we are thrilled to become your hotel of choice in Old Town Alexandria. Please let me know if there is anything I can ever do to personally assist.

Take care,

Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Always love the Kimpton brand and they seldom disappoint. Fun and eclectic, and every single employee we encountered was pleasant and happy to see us, or help us. Rooms are well appointed, and comfortable. Location is great and easy to catch the King Street shuttle to the metro subway. Good restaurants in walking distance. My only complaint was that to get the luggage from the room to the car took three different employees, of course all three expecting tips. One from the room to the front door, one from the door to the car (5 feet), and the valet. I think it is overkill, but I know people have to make a living. It is aggravating though. It could have been done with one bellman, and the valet. Oh well, it didn't take anything away from the stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear beach2mountains,

Thank you so much for staying with us, we appreciate your business and that you have taken the time to share your feedback here!

Glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel and especially the staff, they are our stars for sure! Sounds like we almost had too many people ready to assist, I apologize if it was overwhelming.

Thanks again and safe travels!

Matt

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!