“I cannot imagine not staying at the Hotel Monaco when in Alexandria” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel

Upgrade Your Stay!
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Johannesburg, South Africa
“I cannot imagine not staying at the Hotel Monaco when in Alexandria”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

I have to say that I was torn between the Lorien and Hotel Monaco when deciding to stay for he Obama Inauguration. I have stayed at a couple of hotels and had friends visiting from San Diego and South Africa and after so much back and forth i finally settled on Hotel Monaco and I must say this is one of the best choices i have ever made in my life. The rooms are very clean, staff friendly and they even matched my price down when i pointed to them that i saw another site with a lower price. After our 4 day stay In Alexandria , we spontaneously decided to go to New York and needless to say, we chose the Muse , another Kimpton Hotel and the praise cannot stop. A must stay place if you like space and comfort and by the way i am a very meticulous person when it comes to choosing hotels to stay.

Room Tip: never choose the room next to the pool. its smaller
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear katy G,

We are so grateful you chose us, and that you took the time to share these wonderful comments here. I'm glad that we worked out the discrepancy in your rate, and that you all enjoyed the weekend!

Please come back soon!

Matt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Bay Shore, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The atmosphere was very nice. The staff was friendly. I usually don't like animals in a hotel but I have changed my mind. Everyone was well behaved and quiet. The rooms were very nice. However, the wall were thin so you heard the hallway and elevator. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't get a room by the elevator.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2013
Dear Ruth47286,

Thank you for your business! And we really appreciate the kind words about the staff as well.

Come back soon!

Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

The decor is quirky but acceptable with some nice details. The room was spacious, the maid was thoughtful enough to keep the temperature at the room we set (and not freezing cold or boiling hot), the bathroom was also modern with nice decoration details. Above all the staff at both the front desk and the restaurant were charming and helpful. For a brief stay, I enjoyed it.

Only drawback was a smell of Sterno (or some other weird smell) in the main lobby. Perhaps better air venting?

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear twets,

Thank you for trying us out and for sharing your thoughts here! I'll pass along your compliments to the Housekeeping team, they always enjoy the feedback and take pride in the service they provide.

My apologies for the odor you mentioned in the lobby, we have since investigated the cause and fixed it.

Safe travels and hope that you return some day soon!

Kittredge, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

I've stayed at all of the other Kimpton hotels in the Old Town Alexandra area. This one is the best by far. Great customer service, great price, great location, excellent ambiance AND a complimentary hotel room goldfish upon request. This is a pet friendly hotel and they go above and beyond to make you and your four legged friends feel welcome. Don't forget to request doggie bed, bowls and welcome kit with your reservation. This is now my go to 'home away from home' in Alexandria.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear lisanichols20,

Yes! Definitely going to brag about this with my friends at the other Kimpton's in Alexandria! Although I do have to say they have some great hotels, it's still nice to be put on top of your list!

Thank you for your business and we are thrilled to become your hotel of choice in Old Town Alexandria. Please let me know if there is anything I can ever do to personally assist.

Take care,

Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Always love the Kimpton brand and they seldom disappoint. Fun and eclectic, and every single employee we encountered was pleasant and happy to see us, or help us. Rooms are well appointed, and comfortable. Location is great and easy to catch the King Street shuttle to the metro subway. Good restaurants in walking distance. My only complaint was that to get the luggage from the room to the car took three different employees, of course all three expecting tips. One from the room to the front door, one from the door to the car (5 feet), and the valet. I think it is overkill, but I know people have to make a living. It is aggravating though. It could have been done with one bellman, and the valet. Oh well, it didn't take anything away from the stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear beach2mountains,

Thank you so much for staying with us, we appreciate your business and that you have taken the time to share your feedback here!

Glad to hear you enjoyed the hotel and especially the staff, they are our stars for sure! Sounds like we almost had too many people ready to assist, I apologize if it was overwhelming.

Thanks again and safe travels!

emeraldisle,nc
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We stayed at Monaco, checking in on a Saturday, out on Monday. Definitely wise to ask for a non pet floor. I add to also ask for a non hall room. We had a room on the third floor, hallway. Quite noisy on Saturday night. There was a wedding reception in the hotel and apparently a lot of the guests stayed and partied late.
I would like to suggest that there be two areas for the wine reception and coffee service. I say this because there were many dogs that also attended. Most were quiet, a few were not. One includes dogs, one would not. As one previous poster stated go early, as the lobby is small, to get a seat. The hotel also offers a Kids hour, great idea. We did not have children with us but it is a nice event for them.
I would check to see if the paper could be delivered to our door.
The rooms were clean. Bathrooms supplied well.
Would definitely stay again. Location is great as you can walk to many restaurants and shops.

Room Tip: Rooms not on the hall are quieter.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
Dear wishiwasthere8,

Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to share your comments here!

My apologies for the noise issues from other guests on Saturday night, I hope that it didn't disrupt your night too much.

We can have newspapers delivered to your room if you like, just let the Front Desk know and we will set it up!

Thanks again for your business and hope to see you soon,

Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Great hotel, good customer service. Has the best location of any hotel in Old Town Alex.
Restaurants, shops, bars, all right there. Staff is very helpful. Happy hour offered in lobby, restaurant next door, same owners.

Room Tip: No spa. Breakfast is not included.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear madiemoo1105,

"The best location of any hotel in Old Town Alexandria" - can I quote you on that?! You put it so well!

Thanks for staying with us, and for writing this wonderful review! We're glad you enjoyed your stay and next time you are in this area please come back.

Safe Travels,

Matt

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!