“Perfect hotel in a great location with a very attentive staff. ��” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel

Special Offer
Breakfast for $1
Ranked #7 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
“Perfect hotel in a great location with a very attentive staff. ��”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I just Veteran's Day weekend with 5 family members in this beautiful hotel. We had a suite and a balcony room. Both were impeccably clean and beautifully decorated. The staff was very attentive and all seemed very happy with their jobs. The goldfish in our room was also a nice touch. Great neighborhood in the midst of King Street.

• Stayed November 2012
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear msmosser,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to post this great review!! We appreciate your business!

Hopefully we will see you and the family again soon!

1,117 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Hanover, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

This hotel is in a great location, close to shops and restaurants. You can walk around with ease and feel comfortable both during the day and at night. The rooms were nice as well. We upgraded for our anniversary and got a room with a terrace to the courtyard. The hotel also gave us champagne and chocolate covered strawberries upon arrival. That was a nice touch. We traveled with another couple, and the only minor complaint is the the parking garage is very tight. Otherwise, we had a great time!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear tclark62,

Thanks for spending your anniversary with us! Great to hear the staff sent you an amenity to help celebrate as well!

Hope to see you again soon,

rural hinterland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Our reservation stemmed from the time before Sniqueaway bookings were matched by Kimpton hotels (first week of March 2012). The booking was prepaid for 8 months, and when we arrove last weekend (Nov 3rd), we were put into a different kind of suite than the one we had booked.

Not that anybody would have contacted us ahead of time, no, they just acted as if we had booked that other suite. I had printed the reservation confirmation which stated we had reserved and paid for the Mediterranean Suite, otherwise nobody might have believed it.

To us it looked as if the front desk staff was surprised we had booked that suite, because they had none to give us. They had all been given to that wedding party, which I am sure was booked after our reservation in March.

We were told the Loft Suite was equal in value (I tend to remember that there was a $50 difference in the rack rates?), and we were offered compensation in form of free breakfast and cocktail vouchers, free parking and a later check out (at 2pm).

The Loft Suite we were then given was lacking an important piece of furniture, that side board beneath the TV in the living room was missing.

We had seen that before in July, but then we stayed for free, and I would not complain about a free room, even though that Suite showed major disrepair in a stair banister coming out of the wall, besides the missing sideboard beneath the TV.

The first time we stayed in the Loft Suite in March we had a complete suite, that is how we know the furniture should be there. And it looks weird anyway, that empty space beneath that wall-mounted TV, it just isn't right. (Looking on their own reservation page on their website, you can see the sideboard under the TV in the picture illustrating the Loft Suite)

We had to improvise with our tea and coffee devices, as there wasn't much surface to put things on. And when there was a surface to put it onto, then the electricity outlets were too far away... We ended up using the heating board, desk and side tables for the tea equipment and the garbage bucket to put the Keurig tablet on, it felt like camping, we had to make things fit somehow.

We are InTouch members and therefore entitled to a minibar credit of $10. We took a mini bottle of Saint Germain ($7) and a small bottle of Perrier ($3), and when checking out, I gave the marked menue sheet to the front desk, reminding her that we are InTouch members.

The next day we found charges of $24.15 on our credit card, and we had no idea what that might be for. I was confirmed at check out we didn't owe anything, since the stay was prepaid and the parking was taken off our bill.

I called and was told the charges were for the minibar, so nobody ever took notice of our membership. A very snippy Justin told me what was missing from the minibar, and the other item I didn't recognize by name, so I assume I haven't even seen it.

I repeated what we have taken out and that we were entitled to a credit of $10 for that, and he insisted that we also took "......" (whatever that was, I could not identify the name), and I had to tell him again that we only took the first 2 items, not the third one. Then he agreed to refund the amount to our card, but I could clearly tell by his tone that he really thought we took that other item also.

The very same Justin actually had offered us a botlle of wine and a fruit plate for our inconveniences after we came back from Dinner Saturday night. We declined, as we had wine and cheese already.

This property used to be my favourite hotel and I used to post that publicly. (Scroll down to see my original enthusiastic review about this hotel!) Now I have the impression they are resting on their laurels. We are traveling quite a bit (about 3x a month), and this is sad for us to see.

Now they could say, we paid a truly ridiculous rate for a suite normally sold much higher. But they offered that deal at a time when the economy seemed really bad, when business went really slowly. I hardly believe that Sniqueaway forced them to sell those suites for that lower rate at the time. They offered that, and we took advantage of that rate.

I understand that business seems to get up again, everywhere I am seeing hotels rates exploding. In our neck of the woods nothing has changed, though, but we understand things are changing in the cities. So there might be enough customers now willing to pay the full rates for suites they have sold 8 months ago for a desperate rate.

But does that mean we, who have booked that suite 8 months ago when business was really slow, we should now step aside? I might be naive, but I truly thought our reservation meant we had actually reserved that suite we had booked.

No, we were told, that is not really the case, the reserved rooms are not really blocked for other guests. Huh? What else is a reservation if not a blocking from other guests? This is very upsetting to learn.

Why would I prepay to reserve a room if I have no guarantee I really will be getting what I have booked and paid for? Again, the fact that we paid about a third of the rack rate cannot be a criterium here.

This was really a let down for us, and to experience this in the hotel we previously called our favourite, which we have visited 4 times in 8 months, that hurts twice as much...

Room Tip: Mediterranean Suites are beautiful, but we didn't get one despite having booked and prepaid for...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear albgardis,

I am so sorry for the inconveniences you experienced this time, and really dissapointed that we did not do better! I replied to your review back in April that we were happy to have become part of your Kimpton Story, and now one of our chapters is not what we hoped for, I truly apologize.

You are absolutely right, even though the Loft Suites are great, you should have received a Mediterranean Suite if that is what you booked. We are in the process of changing out some of the furniture in the Loft Suites which may have contributed to the missing credenza in yours this time. Please accept my apologies.

I hope that you give us another try, we have enjoyed having you stay with us this year! Please contact me directly at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com and I can personally assist in making your reservations and upgrading to the suite you prefer.

Thank you and safe travels!

Williamsburg, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

Hello,

I love staying at Kimpton hotels. I've stayed at the Morrison House and the Lorien. The Monaco is also beautiful and very clean.

However, last night (11-6-12) between the hours of 11PM and 6AM, the driver side tires on our car were slashed. Because my daughter lives in Old Town, we rejected the valet parking from the gentleman who came to take our bags because we were just dropping off our bags and then driving over to her house.

We parked at the corner of King and S. Royal when we got back from visiting her (at 11PM). This morning at 6AM, my husband and I found our tires slashed. We drove the crippled car to my daughter's house 5v blocks away. My other daughter drove over from Crystal City to pick us up and get us to Reagan National so we could catch our flight.

My older daughter suggested we file a police report and then see if our insurance will help pay. We have decided not to since our deductible is higher than what the two tires cost.
Whoever decided to slash my tires, stay classy. I hope you feel good about it until someday you will get yours.

As far as the Monaco Hotel, and Old Town in general, I'll be staying in Crystal City from now on when I visit my daughters. The hotel should have better security. Old Town apparently is not as safe as I thought it was.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear ChristineS1210,

What an awful experience, I'm sorry you had to endure that. Old Town Alexandria has so much to offer, I really regret that this experience will resonate with how you associate it.

We do appreciate your business and thank you for the kind words about the hotel.

If in the future you do chose to stay with us again, please know that our hotel parking garage is utilized for both Valet and Self parking, and can be an alternative option from parking on the street if you prefer. Please feel free to contact me at matthew.hurlburt@hotelmonaco.com and I can also assist with anything you may need to make you feel safe and comfortable.

Atlanta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed at The Monaco while on business. What a great location to enjoy your off time. Most of the time I was there was work related but I did have 1/2 a day and one evening to enjoy the area around the hotel. So great.

First the hotel is adorable. I love the style. I was on the top floor in one of the smaller rooms, but still plenty of room and the most charming dormer window with a great view of the roof tops. Everything is really clean and nicely decorated. You have everything you need and more.

The location is wonderful. You are just blocks from the river and tons of shopping, great restaurants and bars. There is a CVS just across the street for last minute items you might need.

The wine hour is very nice touch. The staff was great. I couldn't park my van in their lot because it was too tall. That is the only real problem with the area if you have a taller vehicle, but that is true for the whole area.

I can't wait to go back next year.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Dear mrolfes,

So glad to hear that you fell in 'love' with the place! We really do feel fortunate to have such a great little hotel in the perfect location here in Old Town Alexandria.

Thanks so much for the review and we will see you next year!

Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

It's been a year since we were there (4/2011), but it left a lasting impression. First of all we stayed there through a timeshare promotion. So I can't comment on the value of room rate per se. But if it's in your price range, it's worth every penny.

It is absolutely the grandest hotel I have ever had the pleasure of staying at. Lobby is a wonderful area to lounge. The Manager complimentary wine & cocktail hour with snacks is a fantastic treat each afternoon in the lobby. Adjacent bar offered amazing/creative drinks.

Room was very impressive. Besides the super comfy bed, we enjoyed the animal print robes, extended shower curtain bar, and shaving mirror. All 3 of which we have added to our home because of enjoying there. Simple things in life make a difference.

If you love dogs, they are welcome. Fitting since Old Town loves them too. Ideal location. We parked around the corner & left our car there walking everywhere we wanted to visit. (out of state visitors can obtain 24 hour parking passes from the visitor center close by!) There are many wonderful restaurants all around. We enjoyed many of them. Outdoor Farmer's Market is across the street as well.

We walked (should have driven) all the way up to the public trans to easily get in and out of DC. Next time we'll be prepared with a bus schedule since the day of walking took it's toll alone while in DC.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear Nismo80,

Thank you for taking the time to post this review! Glad you enjoyed your stay last year, it has been so long now though, it is time to come back! We've got a lot of great things happening around here!

As an alternative to walking up to the metro station, you can also take the new free King Street Trolley that runs daily, which will help save some energy for exploring the National Mall downtown!

Thanks again and take care,

The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Every time that I am around I stay in this hotel.Various rooms but all very convenient and ... more downtown is impossible. From walking distance to water front and Metro.
The hotel itself is nice looking and the rooms are excellent with great beds (I had a luxery Queen).
Everything is very clean. Hosts and desk attendances are all very nice as well as the waiters at the Restaurant. I had complementary continantal breakfast, which was okay.
Tyhe hotel serves free coffee/thea in the lobby in the morning and some sort of hosted happy hour in the evening.
Hotel parking is fixed ($ 25 p/d; change yr ticket at the desk every time your going out).
There is free internet after the initiation of a (free) internet account. Also one can make use of the internet at a business center (free for checking on an airline site - to check in).
For me it is an absolutely come back!!!

Room Tip: This time I had a room at the back at the inner square (Room 226). Very convenient as you don't...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Hans750,

Thank you for your loyalty to our hotel, and for sharing your comments here! We're ecstatic to be your home whenever you are in Old Town Alexandria!

I agree, this area has all you need right out our front door, and the hotel itself isn't too bad either!

Matt

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!