“Love this hotel... great location... great service...” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
Sarasota, Florida
“Love this hotel... great location... great service...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Not much else to say... it really is a great hotel with great service...

Expect to pay a premium... if you get a good deal (they have many different specials on their website) then you are in great shape :-)

Have stayed here a few times and would most definitely return.

Don't pay the $25 valet parking... you can park right across the street in an underground parking garage for $8 a day!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ManagerMattHurlburt, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear floridabrits,

It is so great to hear these wonderful comments about our service, it is our #1 priority and really helps set us apart. Thank you for your continued support of our hotel and for sharing your comments here!!

Safe travels,

Matt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
So Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Quiet, secure, comfortable boutique hotel situated perfectly in Alexandria for site seeing, dining, access to the Metro system and to the DCA airport. The room we occupied was spacious and inviting plus stimulating decor. We did dine in the hotel restaurant the Jackson 20 where we enjoyed the regional dishes post-hectic D.C. day of tourism. Our room faced the inner courtyard and provided a quiet retreat that was much enjoyed and appreciated. Beverages were provided in the lobby on the morning prior to our departure for the DCA airport via the complimentary van service. So convenient! Hope to return someday soon!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear JLWSC,

"Cozy Elegance" is such a great way to put it, thank you for sharing these wonderful comments here! We want you to feel comfortable, and maintain that sense of luxury boutique hotels are known for, it is great to hear that you feel like we delivered on that!

Can't wait to welcome you back!

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

I had a nice two might stay at the Monaco and it was my first time at a Kimpton Hotel. It has a somewhat boutique, somewhat offbeat feel and I would definitely return. Rooms are well sized and comfortable. In fact, I woke up the second morning thinking I was home, haha! Very convenient and great price/value combination.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear amcadabi,

Thank you so much for trying us out! It's great to hear you felt at home!

We do celebrate being unique/stylish, combining the sense of luxury with a little bit of fun. Definitely different from your standard hotel experience, for the better in my humble opinion!

Take care,

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

I decided to take my nephews on a short vacay to DC and stay in Virginia which is always cheaper. I wanted to use my American Airlines charge card and went on to their site to book. I found a few choices and had decided on The Residence Inn which I stayed at before. Since I had to call it in to be booked I spoke with a rep who said they didn't have it available, She then mentioned that the had the Hotel Monaco at an amazing price( which was too amazing to be believed). I was a little apprehensive since it seemed so upscale. I conceded and I'm glad I did.

My nephews and I arrived and was greeted with a great welcome from one of the doormen and by a front desk Rep Takeia(amazinf customer service). She looked up our reservations and went rght into the specifics. The kids would get a kids' welcome bag, we had a free breakfast card for the three nights, etc. Thinking this could not get any better, we took the elevator up to the 5th floor and opened the door to the most amazing room. Nice muted colors, a wall canopy over on the wall over the beds. 3 chairs, 2 large queen beds, closet with 2 plush robes, safe, alovely luxury bathroom,plenty of towels. Basically everything was top notch. Our free breakfast card was very simple but free and good. What more to say stay here if you get a deal. Well worth it. Only negative 15 minute walk from King Street, Metro station.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear faithzp,

The Residence Inn's loss is our gain! Glad it worked out that you discovered us, and that you and the kids enjoyed your stay so much.

Next time make sure to also catch our daily Kid's Hour in the lobby from 4:00pm - 5:00pm and Dive-in Movie night on Saturday nights in the pool!

Hope to see you again soon!

Lufkin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

The staff and front desk went above and beyond to make sure our stay was wonderful. We took a bus tour of DC on the hottest,most humid day of the year, most people were melting by the time we returned to the hotel.The staff was waiting at the door with ice cold towels, I could have kissed the guy that gave me that towel,and by the way I am a straight guy, But that was how much I appreciated the thoughtfulness of the staff.

Room Tip: if any room was only half as nice and clean as mine, then I would still rate them as great
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear RockRockwell,

Thank you for staying with us, and for refraining from kissing the doorman! Seriously though, it is great to hear that the little extras we provide mean this much to our guests!!

Safe travels,

Acworth, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I’m a huge fan of the Hotel Monaco, but they definitely weren’t firing on all cylinders. My wife and I felt a sense of malaise among the staff. Though there were no incidents of critical mass, the attention to detail we’ve experienced in the past was missing.
The check in process was smooth, and we were upgraded; so like the Monaco I love. After that, the ride got bumpy. The following morning, I exited the room to find two used wine glasses standing just aside my door. Not my first ride on that rollercoaster, I went about my business. Returning that evening, and after room service had come through, there sat the wine glasses. There they stayed throughout the night and the following morning. The afternoon of our second full day my wife and I suspected it must be wine glass mating season in DC, because those two wine glasses had reproduced… twins. We now had four outside our door. Some 36 hours after the wine glass family moved in, and as my wife and I were heading out to dinner, I asked they be evicted. We returned later in the evening to discover the wine glasses must be fighting eviction, because there they were. Thankfully they moved out sometime during that night. Yes, I am easily amused and write tongue in cheek about the wine glasses, but there were additional bumps. My wife returned to the room and the cable television was out. She called for service, no one showed up. She discovered it was accidently unplugged, probably while cleaning. My wife plugged it in and called to cancel the service request. The following afternoon maintenance knocked on our door; he had just received the request. If you don’t have history with the Monaco, the bumps may seem petty. But if you’ve had the Monaco / Kimpton experiences we’ve had, you would understand why it doesn’t feel right when employees stand on the sidewalk in conversation while you await valet parking or you open the door to the hotel while an employee stands nearby.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Dear ISC624,

Thank you so much for your detailed feedback, while the wine-glass mating season comment was funny, I really want you to know that your point is well taken.

In fact, after reading this review and your internal survey that you completed, we have made "Attention to Detail" our mantra this month.

I love that you hold us to a high standard due to your great experiences in the past, please rest assured that we do the same for ourselves and won't let it slip next time you are in town.

Thanks for your business!

Williamsburg, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

The rooms are huge!!!! Great hotel, great location, right in the heart of Olde Towne Alexandria. Super quick walk to the waterfront. most rooms at ever 400sq feet, super comfortable with really nice baths. Wine hour is great to meet people.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear vamel,

Great review! Thank you so much for sharing these fantastic comments, it's fun to see when our guests get so excited about this place!

Glad you enjoyed your stay, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Matt

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!