“It is okay.” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“It is okay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

The hotel is a bit expensive.

But it is okay. The front desk is real friendly.

The room is clean. The room is a bit on the small side, but the decor was nice.

The air conditioning seemed a bit broken and was making some loud noise every time it started -- woke me up a couple times but then I got used to it I guess...

Overall, it is fine, although if they fix the AC problem, it would have been better.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Monaco-Alexandria, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Dear BusinessTraveler038,

Thanks for the comments about your stay with us. I'm particularly grateful for the feedback, because we want every stay amazing, rather than OK. We've been reviewing new HVAC units for our rooms that are just as energy efficient, but runs a bit quieter and we're very happy with the unit we've been testing out. We're hoping to roll them out very soon, and it will eliminate that problem you experienced. I hope you can join us again, so it's not impactful of your next stay.

Robert
Hotel Monaco Alexandria - a Kimpton Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011 via mobile

Nothing but rave reviews from us. From the moment we walked in the door, great service from Afiya, to the kindness of the GM, to the big smiles daily from the doormen, our six days here have been fantastic! The decor is trendy but still comfortable, linens are crisp and spotless, pillows so comfy! Just love the coffee in the morning and the wine hour in the evening. King street is worth several hours of browsing! What a perfect stay!

• Stayed October 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

I only stayed one night as I was just in town for a meeting at the U.S. Patent Office, but it was a great stay. I wish I could have stayed longer and I've already told my husband we need to come back for a family vacation.

I love the funky and vibrant hotel decor, the fun bathrobes (leopard and zebra), and the super-comfy bed.

I came in too late to enjoy the happy hour but my colleagues said it was great. We had breakfast at the hotel restaurant and it was good as well, if a little pricey. But very convenient.

Our location was super-convenient to walk to any number of fantastic restaurants. I had La Tosca, Tapas for a late dinner which was delicious. We had lunch at Geranio's, Italian and that was a relaxing setting and great food as well.

The location was also convenient to wonderful shops on King's Street and of course, close to the DCA airport and the Patent Office.

I would definitely stay here again when in the area.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

Classy, clean, wonderful ambiance, perfect location. We loved walking around "old town", shopping and eating at the awesome stores and restaurants. This hotel is 3 blocks from the water front, with its many features; visit the torpedo art factory! Take the free trolley to the metro station and zip over to DC.
I give this Hotel a perfect 5 stars!

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the courtyard were quiet, sunny and a great view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Fredericksburg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

I always try to stay at this hotel when traveling to this area. This stay was no exception to the previous ones. Great wine hour, room and food at the restaurant. I found the staff to be very accommodating and helpful.

This hotel is just a few blocks to the waterfront and is surrounded by great shops and restaurants..

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Malvern, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

My wife and I along with our two younger sons spent a few fun filled days in the Washington area and opted to stay in Alexandria. I chose the Monaco based on the very high marks from other TripAdvisor reviewers. Our family consensus concurs with the high ratings. It is definitely well deserved. The feel to hotel is unique; not ordinary at all. Sit in the lobby for awhile and you will see what I mean. We had a top floor room with the dormer windows. Room was large enough; beds were very comfortable; very clean; soft towels; good service. After a day of sightseeing we came back to the hotel before dinner. A lot of great dinner options within walking distance of the hotel. Something I found out after we checked in...dogs are allowed in the hotel. So keep this in mind if dogs are an issue for you. However, the hotel common areas (and our room) are kept very clean. We loved the hotel and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Reston, Virginia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

After much wavering back and forth between a weekend stay at the Monaco vs. the Lorien in Old Town Alexandria to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary, we went with the Monaco (formerly the Holiday Inn) - mainly based on the DC Monaco's great reputation. Big mistake! We were traveling with our youngest, a 6 month old, so were in need of a suite so we could at least have our own room while baby slept and something with a fridge for baby's bottles. So my husband called and spoke at length with a hotel rep in order to get us the right accommodations. They assured us that there was a Mediterranen Suite (800 s.f.) available that had everything we were looking for and we were very excited to celebrate our 10th anniversary there. However, upon trying to check in at the normal check-in time (with a cranky, hungry baby in tow), we were told flat out that our suite was "no longer available." That's it....no valid explanations or proposed solutions. Upon pressing the guy at the front desk, he got us the manager, Michael, who offered no real help, except to say that their suites were all simply "overbooked" and something to the effect that the computer system should not have been showing any suites available when we booked as there were none. WHAT??? (Frankly, it was clearly wedding central there and I think they just gave away our suite to one of the tons of wedding attendees, but who knows?) We pleaded that this was our 10th anniversary, we flew relatives in to town to watch our older children and packed up an infant (who was in desperate need of a bottle and a nap by now) to trek here to have a relaxing anniversary celebration. But to no avail...and no real genuine apologies from the staff or manager....almost as though this happened all the time.

As we were waiting I overheard another very dissatisfied customer who was trying to check in and was told that they could not check anyone in as the computers were down. The man said that he would leave them his credit card or pay in full by cash but he desperately needed to get into his room to get ready for an event in the next hour. But like in our case, the management continued to just refuse to offer any appropriate solution. And this guy's room was available and ready - they just couldn't manage to find a way to let him in to it with the computers being down. Ridiculous! What is wrong with this place?? And they bill themselves as a "luxury" hotel! (We also thought it was kind of strange that a "luxury" hotel allows dogs - and there were plenty of them there, believe me - but we did know about that in advance from their website).

Well, after more time sitting in the Monaco's lobby than I care to remember calling around to other hotels while appeasing a tired baby, we ended up leaving the Monaco and celebrating our anniversary at a true luxury hotel - the Ritz Carlton in Arlington, where they gave us a beautiful suite and immediately upgraded us to club level upon hearing it was our anniversary (and thanks to Am Ex - great promotions!). Turned out for the best as we had a wonderful stay at the Ritz. But I would NOT recommend the Monaco to anyone unless they are willing to roll the dice that they will have actually their room when they get there!

PS - As I figured they would, the Monaco still managed to bill us for our stay which never took place - despite the fact that the manager Michael assured us that would not happen.
So we now had to go to the additional trouble of contacting the billing office, who did credit us back. Received a call from another manager later that day who apologized and offered us a certificate for a complimentary overnight stay, which we still have not received... but we're not holding our breath!

Good luck if you book a room at this hotel!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Monaco-Alexandria, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2011
Dear JB,

My apologies again for the experience you had upon check in. We were truly bothered by it as well. While an extremely rare event, the system was indeed oversold for suites that afternoon. We spent some amount of time working to fix the issue but were unsuccessful. I'm sorry that the suite we had arranged for you at the Lorien was not acceptable to you, but understand your cancelling the reservation. This review comes just a few days after we spoke; I'm aware that the certificate did go out, so I imagine it hasn't arrived yet. Please let me know if it doesn't by next week and we'll be glad to research it. My apologies again and I hope that when you rejoin us you do reach out so we can be prepared to welcome you back appropriately.

Robert
Hotel Monaco Alexandria - a Kimpton Hotel

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!