“Can I give this hotel six stars?” 5 of 5 stars

Give Yourself Some Credit
Ranked #6 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Alexandria, Virginia
“Can I give this hotel six stars?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

I previously stayed at other Kimpton properties, most notably the Lorien Spa and Hotel in Alexandria, Virginia and was trying to get a reservation there again but they were fully booked. The agent suggested the Monaco and I tentatively accepted it.

I checked the website and saw photographs of the decor but still had no idea what to expect. When I checked in the first thing I noticed was the friendly and professional looking staff and they followed through with their professional attitude but made me feel relaxed and welcome. The property is beautiful and well maintained and I thought "nice decor; I get the theme but different" .... Now I am a discriminate, well-traveled individual and have stayed in some nice hotels in Europe, Asia and here in the US but I was dumb-founded when the bellman opened the door. The room's decor took my breath away; all I remember saying was "my gosh what a beautiful room!" I could only look around for several minutes taking in all the details. My stay was a short one based on my itinerary but I wished I could have stayed there the entire time. I seriousy considered cancelling my other reservations and rearranging my itinerary to stay in that room but it was too difficult to do so. My relatives laughed at my predicament because they knew that I am a loyalist to one of the country's top chains; actually I could not believe I was having this experience either!

All I will say to travellers to the DC area is "give this hotel (or other Kimpton properties) a try; you won't be disappointed" and to the large hotel chains I say, "look out Goliaths, David is encroaching on your territory!" Hurray for Kimpton; you are doing it right! Having an individual "chef-driven" restaurant attached to each property is certainly a brilliant concept and makes the package so much mnore interesting.

Gee, now I hope I have not reviewed myself out of a room!

Room Tip: visit the website of the respective properties
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Monaco-Alexandria, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, July 6, 2011
Dear ChefG-A2011,

You certainly can give us 6 stars! Thank you so much for your kind words. We were thrilled to read your feedback. Don't worry about reviewing yourself out of a room; we'll always make room for a loyal guest. Thank you as well for the comments about our restaurant group. Kimpton prides itself on Chef Driven destination restaurants and ours certainly is one of those. Com back and see us soon!

Robert
Hotel Monaco Alexandria - a Kimpton Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
Plainfield, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2011

"Best trip ever!" This was the feeling in the car as we drove home to New Jersey this past Monday after a 5-night stay at the Hotel Monaco in Alexandria. Everyone was over-the-top nice. I have never had so many doors held open for me in my whole life! Here are some particulars.

The room was clean and the room service was outstanding. The beds were delicious. (Not how you usually describe a bed, but they were that good.) The WiFi was flawless. Because we travel with our 2 teenagers, we always need extra bath towels and such. When I called the desk asking for extra washcloths, they arrived in less than 2 minutes!

The Jackson 20 restaurant next door was worth the trip in itself. Breakfast, lunch and dinner were all outstanding; hard to find one restaurant that can do well on all three meals. And Nicki, Michelle and Jessica were charming, wonderful hostesses. In fact, for our next trip to D.C. we were planning on staying at the Hotel Monaco in D.C. However, if Nicki is still working at Jackson 20, we'll be staying in Alexandria!

In 15 years of traveling as a family, this was easily the best time we have ever had. Thanks for everything.

SIncerely,

The Lee Family (Kathy, Jeff, Roxanne & Nathan)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Point Pleasant, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2011

I took my 15 year old on along on a recent business trip and randomly booked Hotel Monaco on Hotels.com.....Suffice it to say I've stayed at MANY hotels in MANY cities and would rank Monaco in the very TOP of my list of Best HOtels! Room ready on time, funky, electic furnishing, spotless housekeeping, high end furnishings, and the staff was SPot On with Service!!
Try the Wine Tasting hour from 4-5, right in the center of Old Town shopping and restaurants.....does not get any better than this.
Came home and immediately booked another "StayCation" for the hubby and I next month at the Hotel Monaco!

Goldsboro, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2011

We had a wonderful time staying at the Monaco. The staff
was friendly and helpful. The room was beautiful and very
comfortable.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

More pros than cons for this stay in Alexandria.

Pros:
1) fun, funky decoration and spacious room
2) kind staff...although valet guys were perhaps too flirty
3) pretty decent room service food (of course it was overpriced, but that wasn't a surprise. the quality of the food was the surprise)
4) noise factor pretty minimal
5) gorgeous bathroom, big tub, high quality toiletries
6) good coffee in the morning, even though I had to sleepwalk down to the lobby to find it
7) free internet, if you join the hotel clubcard thing

Cons:
1) Maid barged in at 8am during an intimate moment, ha.
2) overpriced parking
3) mysterious holds on my credit card
4) no air conditioning in the elevators or hallway; room AC was loud and leaked all over itself

All in all, this was a much better hotel than many of the 3.5 and 4 star I've booked through the gamble of hotwire, and given that my room was a fraction of the cost of the asking price through the Monaco website, my complaints are minimal. I do think they need to work on Interruption By Maids, however...it's not that hard to communicate with staff about who's still there and who's checked out.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Monaco-Alexandria, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2011
Dear ohdearme,

Thanks very much for your feedback about your experience. I was thrilled to read your comments about the quality of our property and value for the price paid. However I was concerned about the experience you had with our Housekeeping team; we'll make sure we reiterate the process about the appropriate time to service the room. Regarding the holds on your card, I'd imagine it's the per day authorization for incidental charges; telephone, Room Service, etc. They're taken with every check in and released upon departure, a standard process for the industry. I also appreciate the feedback about parking. While we're not the highest cost for parking in Alexandria, our valet parking does have unlimited 'In and Out' privileges, something more costly local hotels can't offer. We also do have a number of options regarding parking including promotional rates that include parking. Check our special offers page the next time you book. We'll also be happy to have a coffee maker waiting in your room!

Thanks again for joining us and we hope to see you soon,

Robert
Hotel Monaco Alexandria - a Kimpton Hotel
PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a much needed getaway in May. It was a delightful visit from check in to check out!

We arrived with our two Newfoundlands in tow, and they were treated like royalty! We had not arranged for the special pet stay package, but the staff went out of their way to provide xtra large dog beds, bowls and two gift bags of treats!

The hotel is trendy and comfortable. The beds are so comfy and the bathrooms were heaven. The location is perfect for downtown Old Town...a convenient walk to everything.

We ate breakfast outstide in the courtyard with our dogs and had dinner one evening in the hotel. Both were excellent. My husband was very please with the large selection of craft beers.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

LOVE Kimpton hotels!!

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Norfolk, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2011

This was our 2nd time staying at this hotel, and they are certainly" top notch" in treating BOTH the owner and their pets like royality! They upgraded us to a suite so we were able to spread out with our 3 dogs, and we had a wonderful, restful time in Old Town Alexandria!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!