“Business Friendly in a Boutique Setting” 5 of 5 stars

Breakfast for $1
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
GreenLeadersGold level
Madison, Alabama
“Business Friendly in a Boutique Setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

I was not looking forward to a week-long meeting in a "boutique" hotel. In the past, this has meant small rooms and old fixtures, dressed up with crushed velvet throw pillows. The Monaco won me over at the start. I was checking in at 5:58. While still digging travel documents out of my bag at the registration desk, the bellman ran across the room to get me a glass of Shiraz before the complementary wine hour expired. Talk about your first impressions....

Maybe it's just me, but other high-end hotels can be a little stuffy and occasionally intimidating. In contrast, the Monaco staff is much more disarming. They were pleasant and responsive --easy to talk to and good listeners, not stiff and scripted.

Lobby coffee was hot, strong and fresh. Evening wine mixer was great fun. Catered food was terrific. I did not use the other services or restaurant, so I can't vouch for their quality or value.

I usually opt for metro-friendlier hotels in DC, but next time the weather is nice and my meeting schedule is slightly less brutal, I plan to return.

Room Tip: Reply to the pre-arrival email from the concierge.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (274)
Buffalo, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

I recenlty stayed 3 days at the hotel. The hotel staff was very responsive to two minor problems and promptly sent up workmen to resolve. However one evening the turndown service missed my room altogether and in the morning forgot to deliver the newspaper I requested. The room nicely decorated and the bedding was very comfortable. The location is excellent to explore old town.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Monaco-Alexandria, General Manager at Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel, responded to this review, May 2, 2011
Dear MJG2011,

Thanks very much for your comments about your stay with us. I'm happy to hear about the responsiveness of our staff, although I do want to apologize for the issues with Turndown. We'll make sure we stay on top of that. Thank you again and I hope we can welcome you back soon.

Robert
Hotel Monaco Alexandria - a Kimpton Hotel
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2011

We parked the car out front and searched the lobby for the valet. Check in was done without comment or question from the staff. No "is there anything you need?", or 'what is the nature of your visit?" or "do you have dining needs?" Nada. Room was WARM -- maybe 72ish when we checked in so I turned the temp setting down to 65 and left for the evening. When we returned at 9pm it was the same temp. We couldn't be bothered with moving rooms or having the repair guy up at that point. We woke up asking almost simultaneously, "what was with that mattress?"

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear dcdozen,

Thank you for your feedback about your experience with us. I do want to apologize for the challenges with the room temperature; I wish we'd gotten the opportunity to make a quick visit and make it right for you. I'd also love some additional feedback about the mattresses, they're custom made for us at Kimpton and of a very high quality. Sometimes they're not exactly to a guest's fit, but we're always happy to see what we can to to either make them a little more firm, or move you to a room that you'd be comfortable in. I hope you get a chance to visit us again and if so, simply reach out if you're having any challenges and we'll be glad to help.

Robert
Hotel Monaco Alexandria - a Kimpton Hotel
Glen Rock, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

My husband, 17 year old son and I stayed here while visiting colleges in the area. The minute we walked in the door, the staff was very welcoming and the hotel itself is quite elegant with a bit of funk mixed in. Great combination.
Our room was very comfortable and clean and the bathroom was quite roomy, which we appreciated. The only complaint that we all commented on was that the lighting seemed very dim.
The Monaco is situated right in the heart of Old Town and we were able to walk to great restaurants, shops and the Waterfront is steps away.
When we were checking out, we asked if we could keep our luggage in the lobby until we needed to leave the area for an appointment. The bellman then asked if we would like him to stow our belongings in the car while were in town and then would have the car collected for us when we were ready to leave.
We found the staff to be very accommodating at the Monaco, we also feel that way about the staff at the other Kimpton hotels we have stayed in.

Room Tip: Request a room that doesn't face the street
MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

I am a frequent business and leisure traveler and self-proclaimed snob about hotels and food. My tastes tend towards boutique (but consistent and reliable), funky (but not so trendy you are afraid to be caught in the hall without a pedicure) and just slightly under the radar and affordable (I'll take Tulum over Cancun or Playa del Carmen any day).

Kimpton always fits the bill. And the Alexandria Monaco exceeded my expectations in every way.

The Highlights:
The door men smile as if they have known you for years
The front desk is friendly and efficient (important when the boys are ready to explore!)
The lobby is a hub of friendly activity and happy people
The rooms are large, fun and extremely clean (my kids said, "Mom, I bet you want the wallpaper in the bathroom". I do.)
The pool is big and inviting enough for the kids to enjoy yet relaxing enough for adults to chill out
The complimentary wine hour (a Kimpton staple) is enhanced by the Wii tucked away in the corner for the kids to enjoy while Mom and Dad relax after a day in D.C.
The twice a week doggie-friendly happy hour at the enclosed courtyard was a blast for the kids and delicious -- pulled pork sliders, duck fat fries and dogs for our youngest to meet and greet

Tips:
If you have discovered the option of staying in Alexandria in order to visit DC, you will not be disappointed. However, with all the walking, I recommend trying to take the King Street Trolley from the Hotel area to the Metro and save your energy for the Capitol.

If you are driving from out of town, the Visitor's Center of Alexandria is right across the street from the hotel. They have a 24 free parking pass that can be renewed 1 time. We were happy to take advantage of this Alexandria perk.

Thanks to all of the Kimpton Staff.

Ithaca, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2011

We spent 3 nights at the hotel and were instantly impressed by the comfortable and exotic lobby. That area was a hub of activity during much of the day. A wonderful treat was spending time with the dogs during their two hour social hour in the courtyard. Beverages and appetizers were available for the humans. The pool was a good size to accommodate a large group. Our beds were comfortable and the turndown service was a welcome extra upon returning from a night on the town. The adjoining bar/restaurant did not impress me. We had drinks at the bar one night and the bartender was aloof and unresponsive to our needs. We did not have a meal there so cannot rate that. I had thought we would be nearer to the water, but it was an easy 5 minute walk.
We will return to this wonderful hotel for certain!

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

I have traveled all of the world and stayed at many 5 star hotels and resorts and this was one the most enjoyable experiences with my daughter and two yorkies! They were warm and friendly and so helpful! I went to help with my stroller and the valet stopped me and said the is a hands free check in. They called my little girl (2) princess and gave her a little present. They were amazing to dogs even when they were barking like monsters! The room was huge for the price and area and the pet policy really mad it an easy choice traveling with out my husband. I would live there if i could!!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family

Been to Monaco Alexandria, a Kimpton Hotel? Share your experiences!