“Great location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Buderim, Australia
“Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

This hotel is situated in a great location. Just 100 meters from the train station and across the road from a group of restaurants. We took the metro train into the city every day to save driving. very easy to navigate the train lines once you know. we got a travel card and put money on it. this is the easiest and cheapest way to go.mask the station master for help,in getting one if you cant work it out. we did and he was more than happy to help.There is also a restaurant in the hotel where you can get breakfast, lunch and dinner. Very reasonable priced. We had a double bed room and it was quite adequate for our needs, we stayed here for 4 nights and the only thing is there is no guest laundry. It is easy to find as it is just off the highway. The staff were very pleasant and accommodating.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Chicago
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

It's a Holiday Inn, not a Hilton, so it was pretty much what I expected. If you want a full service hotel for more than just sleeping or relaxing, not for you. It was clean. The restaurant was fine. When we arrived, there was a problem with our 4 day reservation, but the staff already had a resolution that was acceptable, and we aren't ones to get upset by little issues. Our AC was fine, unlike others' complaints. It was 99 outside during our stay, and that isn't usual DC weather. One of the elevators didn't work as well as the other two. Fitness center was ok. Machines were average. Indoor pool was ok. We would stay there again because the metro stop is right across the street. We didn't need a hotel to hang around in much so it was fine. There is a Ted's, Ruby Tuesday, Cold Stone, movie theater, a Chipotle style place, Quizno's, and Starbucks across the street. It's easy to cross, pedestrian friendly. Takes 20-25 minutes on metro to get to mall area and sites. Easy. Reagan is about 3 stops there.

• Stayed June 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria SW Eisenhower Ave, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear AlyssaS532,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and reviewing our property. I am pleased to hear that our location and amenities worked for your needs. It is always hugely motivating on our end to receive commendable feedback from our valued guests like you.

On the other hand, please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience the elevators may have caused you. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

Again, thank you for staying with us and we hope to have another opportunity to serve you again.

Best Regards,

John O
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

We were supposed to stay Tuesday through Friday night, but the AC was broken and it was in excess of 95 degrees each day. On the second night the front desk said the problem had been fixed, but it was not. Also, internet did not work first night. After talking with a manager on several occasions they did comp one night of the stay and let us check out a day early without being charged. Felt like the hotel should have done more to accommodate its customers.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria SW Eisenhower Ave, responded to this review, July 8, 2014
Dear Ryan A,

Ben J
Jacksonville, North Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014

I stayed from Mon - Thurs. By Monday evening, the A/C went out. By Tuesday, there was no internet but I had an important paper to work on/research. The restaurant was out of fries but didn't inform me until after the rest of my meal was done and ready to be served. I called the front desk on Wed and was informed that the A/C was being worked on so it would be a few hours before I could feel it. Before the night was up, it must have stopped worked AGAIN. By the time I checked out on Thursday, the A/C didn't feel as if it was working. Government employees were entitled to free breakfast vouchers, but I had to go back to the front counter to ask for the vouchers. Had my colleague not asked if I received any, I wouldn't have known I was entitled to the government vouchers. The door to the room had to physically be pulled to close or my room would've been unsecured (I'm glad I just didn't walk away and checked my door).

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria SW Eisenhower Ave, responded to this review, July 6, 2014
Dear Joyce J,

Thank you for staying with us and for leaving a review of our property. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. Please accept our sincerest apologies for any inconvenience you have encountered particularly the room amenities, Internet service and the level of service you received. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay.

Again, thank you for your recent stay and I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

John O
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

The hotel is fine for amemities however, the air conditioning hasnt worked for two nights and the front desk employees have not been honest about the extent of the problem or status of repairs. We are on te 5th floor, however the airconditioning is also not working in rooms on the 2nd or 8th floor.

• Stayed June 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria SW Eisenhower Ave, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Dear RRTourist,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and for bringing your concerns to our attention. We are very sorry for any inconvenience you have encountered regarding the air conditioning system. Your comments have been forwarded to the respective departments and I am confident that our hotel will take the necessary actions to ensure that similar situations can be avoided in the future.

We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Fairhaven, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

I was in town for a conference at the downtown Ritz Carlton, and this was the only hotel I found on my company's travel website that was within the authorized, government-set per diem rate. The hotel was conveniently located one long-ish block from the Eisenhower Ave. Metro stop, and the total trip from Holiday Inn to the Ritz was about 40 minutes. Not the best in the world, but not bad.

I arrived early - about 8:30AM and parked in their rear parking lot - went to the desk and was greeted by a manager who I'm guessing is the one so vilified by other reviews. She seemed a little preoccupied, but verified that I had reservations and quickly completed a parking pass for me. I certainly don't know this, but I would guess the attitude reported elsewhere is a reflection of that of the guests.

The hotel carpets and some of the paint looks a little old, but that is my only criticism of the accommodations. The bed was comfortable, and the bath and shower were nicely appointed and well stocked. The room had a microwave and refrigerator, which I didn't use, but which are definite plusses in my assessment of hotel rooms. The TV had an excellent picture and a large number of channels. My room was quiet, despite the fact that there were numerous groups with teenagers staying in the hotel. My room was an even numbered room on the top (10th) floor with a view of the beltway (what did I expect?).

As I was tired, it was very convenient that the hotel had a full bar and adjacent restaurant. The bar didn't advertise the fact that you could order from the restaurant menu, but I was able to do so, making it very convenient to watch a baseball game on their excellent ~55" HD TV while having my dinner. I particularly appreciated the bartender, who (1) advised against ordering the fried calamari and endorsed ordering the cobb salad, saying that it was large and probably sufficient, then (2) intercepted the chef's salad that was delivered, sending it back and insisting on what I had ordered. As a 'by the way', he was also personable throughout.

As I initially said, the room rate was within the $249 per diem level (at $132 and $160 respectively for the two nights), and about 1/3 of the "special conference rate at the Ritz. There are a number of appealing restaurants a block away, which I will likely try in the future, and the hotel was adequate in condition, cost, services and location near a Metro stop. I suspect I will stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Fort Mill, South Carolina
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

I am a business man, got invited to USPTO for attending the the 2014 National Inventors Hall of Fame ceremony. My company has booked the hotel for me and the room was guaranteed using my credit card. When my wife and I showed up at the front desk the front desk clerk told us that our room was not available because of the hotel was over-booked! The clerk offered us a room at a different hotel, which was far away from the event which we might not be able to attend! We asked for seeing the manager who never showed up. After standing at the front loby demanding to see the manager for bout half an hour, the clerk handed us the room keys! What an experience! and what on earth was the clerk was trying to do! Chasing the clients who had room guaranteed away to have a room for somebody else? I believe that this is not the policy of Holiday Inn, however, I would like the share my thoughts for some kind of correction, employee training. The incident was at the evening on May 20, 2014.

Room Tip: Need to have honest employees