“Good location & good quality.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #24 of 49 hotels in Alexandria
Antwerp, Belgium
“Good location & good quality.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I stayed 3 nights in this hotel earlier this year (May) and found it ideally located if you are a "public transport"-traveller. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the metroline that takes you to Alexandria Old town in 5 minutes, to Arlington Cemetary in 25 minutes and to Central DC in 30 minutes. Rooms are spacious and clean, all facilities present. No noise from nearby Capitol Beltway. The hotel has a good restaurant and a cozy bar. There is also a movie theatre & good restaurants just across the street. Staff was friendly & helpfull.
I booked on the site of Holiday Inn and got the best rate.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Tracie R, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria SW Eisenhower Ave, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
The area around the hotel is always expanding and more shopping is coming soon so please come back and stay with us again, there will be something new for you to experience!

259 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Midlothian, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013

I got this hotel as an "express deal" through a website where I typically bid for hotels. Not expecting much for the price ($72). The staff was exceptionally helpful and pleasant. I loved the hotel's complimentary shuttle to Old Town Alexandria -- made going to dinner and enjoying sangria much easier. Room was comfortable and clean. Gym was at least adequate. The parking lot was a little hard to get to, but the hotel itself is conveniently located.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise from traffic.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
The price you pay doesn't matter to us! We take care of everyone regardless and are very glad to hear you enjoyed yourself. Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again in the very near future!
Watertown, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

I was looking for a motel with Metro access into DC and this one was about $80 cheaper per night (prepaid) than comparable motels I found. This made me a little worried but it turned out just fine. I flew into Reagan Airport (DCA) and took the yellow line Metro to the Eisenhower stop. Literally about 20 minutes. The motel is about a 5-8 minute walk from the Metro. The motel is located in a sea of parking lots and freeways. The area seemd very safe, even at night. No retail in the area that I saw, but there is a Starbucks and a Ted's Montana Grille (highly recommend!!) about 2 blocks away. The motel itself is old (70s?) but they are doing the best they can with what they have. The bathrooms are very small, but everything is clean and fresh. The lobby, restaurant, and bar are cramped, but again, what can they do? Found the staff to be friendly. At checkout my "pre-paid" room bill showed a $3 balance. Really? Did the taxes change in the 2 months since I made the res. and paid for it?! Seems weird. Nonetheless, I was very satisfied overall and would definetly return and recommend.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Tracie R, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria SW Eisenhower Ave, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
We are so glad you found our hotel and felt safe staying here. We are located in the very safe neighborhood of Alexandria so no one should ever feel they have anything to worry about when they check-in here. The suburban neighborhood does not give the impression of an unsafe area and we are glad you noticed that when you arrived to the hotel.

You were almost spot on with the build date of the hotel, 1968 and yes we do keep up on everything here- we actually just finished a full renovation in January of 2012! If you noticed anything we could do to make any additional improvements, we absolutely welcome your feedback and always are listening.

As for your final bill, yes it may seem strange but as of August 1st the city of Alexandria did in fact raise the occupancy tax rate on hotels so that was the reason your invoice had the remaining balance. Rest assured the hotel did not keep the extra money, we did have to send that off to Uncle Sam to cover the increase in taxes.

We would love to see you as a guest again in our hotel and truly appreciate your feedback! Thank you very much for staying with us and please let us know when you decide to come back so we can say hello!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

As I was staying at this hotel on a recent business trip I saw a few things that seemed off. First, I was in the bar for an after work drink when I was approached by a staff member to join them for a free dinner buffet. I have no idea what it was for but who does not like free food! Then while I was at the buffet I noticed an inappropriate dressed mannequin, not sure what she represented but it was distastful.

As far as the staff they were all pretty nice and I had no issues. The rooms where pretty much the common holiday inn style, nothing to write home about. The price for a room is a bit more than it should be at a holiday inn. I am pretty sure I will be looking elsewhere on my next business trip in this area.

• Stayed September 2013
Tracie R, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria SW Eisenhower Ave, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
It sounds as though you were here with us during our IHG Rewards Club open house event, which we hold on average once per month as a way to say 'Thank you' to all of our loyal and new guests! We do offer a wonderful, themed dinner buffet and free drinks to everyone who attends and while it is a chance for everyone to sign up for the IHG Rewards Club, it is not a requirement. We will do a better job of ensuring that the premise of the open house is made clear to all of our guests in the future, thank you very much for bringing that to our attention.

As for 'Betty', our mannequin, our sincerest apologies that you found this to be in poor taste. Our most recent theme was the "End of Summer" and having her dressed as a hula girl near the buffet was simply for extra decoration. This obviously did not go over well with you and for that please accept our sincerest apologies. Your feedback will be brought to the attention of our General Manager immediately.

Thank you for sending us your comments and we do hope that you reconsider staying with us in the future. We would love to have you come back and try our hotel again as we know that we can offer you a better experience.
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

I am a senior that loves to travel solo. As soon as I arrived, the staff was exceptional. I can not say enough kind words about Ron the young man at the front desk, always friendly and gave over the top service!! Ron and John at the front desk, both drew maps for me to get back and forth from the metro to the hotel and more.
Mandy in the bar made me feel like I was at her home having cocktails with a friend. Alexis in the restaurant makes you feel like you are eating in her own kitchen, always with a smile. Manny the driver gave me excellent tips on places to go. Yes, I will certainly stay there again....the prices were unbeatable compared to other hotels closer to DC. The refrigerator in my room saved my life as it was 90 degrees my entire 6 day stay.
The pool was always a relief after a long day of sightseeing. It would be great to have it open earlier....just sayin. The air conditioning system worked great, not noisy at all as most hotels are.
Great experience....thank you all for making me feel so welcomed :)) Los Angeles Redd

Room Tip: I enjoyed my room 803 with a view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
When you are here, we consider you our family and it certainly sounds as though our staff delivered! Each of the team members you mentioned will be thrilled to hear that they were specifically remembered as being a great part of your stay and we cannot wait to have you back as our guest.

Thank you very much for your wonderful comments, you are the reason we do what we do!
Durham, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We stayed one night when driving home from NYC. It was difficult to navigate from 495 South to the hotel and even w/ GPS and a google paper map we managed still got slightly lost. Not truly any fault of this hotel - but there are many other choices that might be easier to find. When we arrived our room was ready and check in was very quick. The room was large and clean w/ new furnishings/ linens and paint. It is an older facility, but the owners are obviously working very hard to keep it up to date. The bath was very clean also and toiletry amenities were nice and appreciated. Microwave and fridge in our room so we could keep our drinks cold for the next day's trip. I do NOT recommend the restaurant. Although all the wait staff and hostess were gracious and friendly, the timing of food out of the kitchen was ridiculous ( only 3 other tables seated at same time as ours and all others were having the buffet). The buffet is overpriced and appeared dried/ crusty to me. Lots of food choices in Alexandria - I wouldn't advise eating here. Our breakfast was tasty and hot when it did arrive.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments Sam86228, they are truly appreciated and of course are taken to heart by everyone here.

Our owners are very proud of this hotel, which was built in 1968, and work very hard to ensure that it is kept up to date and has a fresh feel for all of our guests. We recently finished a complete rennovation with even more additions to come!

We are sorry to hear about your experience at breakfast and understand that, when compared to the prices in other cities, Alexandria may be a bit more expensive than other venues. However, with that being said our Food and Beverage department is currently working on a new breakfast menu and a new format for our breakfast buffet to improve on what we offer all of our guests.

The next time you are in Alexandria, please stay with us and check out what we have changed for the better! We want everyone to leave feeling 100% satisfied with their stay!
Parsippany, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Very close to the Metro stop. You can go anywhere in DC from this hotel.
Hotel rooms are on the small side. Bathroom is not much bigger than a closet. If you are over 6'2" you may have a problem in the shower. It appears that they attempted to upgrade some of the features, but the old ones are still there. Namely the A/C system.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
You are kind to notice that we did in fact just complete a major renovation of the hotel in 2012 which included everything from the guest rooms to the lobby and banquet space. Unfortunately, you're right- it is a bit more of a process to replace items such as the air conditioning units inside of the rooms. They have not, however, been forgotten so rest assured that we are in the process of eventually replacing everything that does require upgrading in the hotel.

Thank you so much for staying with us while you were here and we truly hope to see you again the next time you are here!