“Too many issues to recommend” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #23 of 49 Hotels in Alexandria
Alexandria, Virginia
“Too many issues to recommend”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My family stayed at this Holiday Inn for my wedding the 3rd week of June, 2013. There were just too many problems that happened. My sister had to fix the toilet in their room to get it to stop running. My other sister had to call to get a cable for the TV to work. I could never contact my elderly parents because the phone in their room wasn't working. I called and complained to either the front desk of the manager five times. Still, the phone was never fixed. The manager comped my father one day's stay for the trouble, which was nice. But it just seemed indicative of poor management overall. Oh, I just found out tonight that my nephew had a problem getting cribs for their room and my father also had a problem with the toilet in his room. The breakfast buffet was less than what I would get from a Hampton Inn or another moderately priced property. The only person in my family who did not have a problem was my brother ... because he stayed at a different hotel. There are other hotels in Alexandria for a similar price that I would choose over this Holiday Inn.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Tracie R, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria SW Eisenhower Ave, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Kelly,

It truly sounds as though you and your family had some issues during your stay with us and we would like to take this opportunity to let you know that this is not indiciative of either our hotel nor our staff. We are terribly sorry that you left us feeling as though we did not deliver our normal standard of service and wish we could have seen you off with a smile instead of feeling as though your money was not well spent.

Rest assured that your feedback has been shared and reviewed with all members of not only the front desk, but housekeeping and engineering as well in order to get to the bottom of things. We sincerely appreciate all of your comments.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2013

Staff were very welcoming. Room was beautiful and clean. Fitness center was better than most (a full set of free weights in addition to cardio equipment! Not often seen at a Holiday Inn). But the real draw is the location. It's a very short walk over to the Washington Metro, and from there it's a 20-30-min ride to DC attractions without the hassle of parking. There are also a few good restaurants (none rhymes with Affle Mouse) and shopping across the street.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Tracie R, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria SW Eisenhower Ave, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Your reference to a popular chain of breakfast restaurants made for a good giggle here on this end and while we could recommend a great breakfast, you're right you won't find any of those in the near vicinity. Especially not with King Street right around the corner. King Street, if you are all about a great selection of dining, is home to so many amazing dining selections it is impossible to live here and not try something new every night of the week for a year!

Thank you for your wonderful feedback, we look very forward to having you stay with us again the next time you are in town!
wilmington nc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

From the moment we walked in the staff was awesome. We were a little early for check-in but we go to pre-select our room. The staff was then very helpful with directions to where and how to use the metro with the best stop for visiting the national zoo. Upon returning from a few hours of sightseeing, chcek-in was smooth and easy and got goody bag for being a priority club member. How nice! We set up the shuttle to take us to Old Town alexandria each night of our stay which allowed us to throughly enjoy Old Town. Breakfast in the hotel was great everyday with reasonable prices and also had a nice bar in the hotel. The only thing I missed was a whirlpool in the pool area for long days of sightseeing. This is an awesome place to stay with the metro being a block away!

Room Tip: Ask for the side facing the Metro. At our request we got the 10th floor. Room was not super cool fro...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tracie R, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria SW Eisenhower Ave, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
If we could have every comment card read like yours, we would be in heaven! This is what we strive for everyday and really appreciate you taking the time to let us know we succeeded in making your stay such a great one while you were here.

Please do come back and visit us again soon, we will be sure to put our best foot forward once again!
Carrick on Shannon, Leitrim, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

My family of 4 arrived at the Holiday Inn on Eisenhower around 9pm last summer after driving from upstate New York. We had piles of bags, as we were on a 3-month holiday from Ireland, and were exhausted and ready to check-in. Earl Hopkins, the Manager on duty was very friendly and while trying to find our reservation, realized that we were at the wrong Alexandria location. He offered to transfer the booking at no charge, but when we explained that we were meant to meet family who were traveling from Illinois, he phoned the other hotel, made sure they were there, confirmed our room and offered to have an employee load our bags in the hotel van and drive us there so we wouldn't get lost. He was an absolute gentleman and both he and John were kind and helpful just when we needed it. I would highly recommend this hotel, which was by far the easiest to locate, and had a wonderful staff!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Tracie R, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria SW Eisenhower Ave, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Greetings Michele,

Please do come back and stay with us the next time you are back in the states, we would love for you to have a longer visit than just to our lobby! We have much more to offer and of course a wonderful staff throughout the entire hotel. We are so glad to hear that Earl and John went above and beyond to ensure you made it to the right hotel and while it wasn't our hotel, we do hope you enjoyed your stay.

Think of us the next time you're here!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013 via mobile

The staff is great! And very nice. Everyone was alway willing to help me and they were very friendly. The rooms were spacious and extremely clean. The bathrooms,were very clean and the soaps smelled so nice :D also the hotel is very close to the metro station with easy access to DC and there is a free shuttle to Reagan airport !! Breakfast is not included but there are many places to eat around the hotel. Old town Alexandria is a beautiful area and its close to the hotel. And DC is about a 10 minute drive !! I HIGHLY SUGGEST STAYING HEAR!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you Mike! We can't wait to see you again the next time you're in town! If you'd like to have breakfast with us in our restaurant, we do have several packages online where you can book at rate that does have breakfast included so feel free to give those options a try when you book next time, you just might find a great deal and get breakfast on us the next time.

Thank you again for letting us know how much you enjoyed your stay!
Raleigh, North Carolina
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I have a feeling that my experience at this hotel on May 18th would have been good if I had been on a different floor or location. Here's what happened - I booked a King room with the prepay rate. Arrived around 5pm - so not long after check-in started. Desk clerk tells me "we don't have any King rooms, so we put you in a room with 2 double beds, is that okay?" How could it not be okay? I had prepaid and had no recourse.

Upon arriving on my floor, there were high school age kids in the hallway with an ironing board being used as a serving table as it had sandwiches on it. This is when I should have turned around and went back to the front desk.

My room was at the very end of the hall - room 501 - which meant only 1 neighbor. This is why I didn't turn around, because how much of a nuisance could one neighbor be? Plus, the room was incredibly clean. I will say though that it was quite stuffy, especially since windows don't open.

Went into town for dinner, came right back and it seemed as if all the school group kids were in the room next to us. Loud does not even begin to describe it. It was still somewhat early though, so we hoped it would eventually quiet down. Three hours later and it was still going on strong. A call to the front desk and I was told that we could not be moved as there were no available rooms, but someone would come and tell the kids to be quiet. I'm sure you already know how that went over. They got quiet for about 5 minutes and then were outside the door "ssshushing" each other as loud as possible and commenting to "not be loud! people are trying to sleep" in the loudest possible whisper.

After they grew tired of that, they decided it was a good time to shower. Who cares, right? Except this hotel seems to have alarmingly loud noises in the bathroom when someone in a neighboring bathroom turns the shower on and off.

Sometime after 1am I was finally able to get to sleep, but that only lasted until just before 6am when the noise started again next door! Granted, the little sleep that I did mange to get was better than my stay at the Courtyard Alexandria Old Town Southwest the week before, but still not great.

You should know that I always leave the "Do Not Disturb" sign on my room door at hotels. YOu need this fact for the next part of my review...

Check out for this hotel is at noon. The kids on the hall were long gone by then, thank goodness, and I was enjoying some coffee and quiet time in the room around 11 am when I heard the electronics engage in the door and the sound of someone inserting a key. There was NO KNOCK - NO ANNOUNCEMENT OF ARRIVAL - NOTHING. The next thing I knew someone was trying to enter the room. I had the little security thing on the door and they could not get in. Nevermind the fact that the "Do Not Disturb" sign is still on the door. I go open the door to see who it was and to confirm that the sign was still on the door. It was still there. And there was a member of the housekeeping staff literally running down the hall away from the room.

No one apologized or excused their entry. Instead they ran. Why? Was their attempted entry for nefarious reasons? Did they just assume that we were part of the group of kids that were gone? And therefore any valuables left in the room were ripe for the taking? Or, was the housekeeping person just a moron? It's really anyone's guess, but enough to make me never return to this location.

This was the second bad experience that I have had (in a row) with Alexandria area hotels. All I want is a place that offers a quiet place to actually get a decent amount of sleep.

In summary, here are the pros and cons of this place--

PROS: ---
-lots of free parking
-good location near metro stop, Starbucks and restaurants
-easy access off freeway
-free wi-fi that works well
-clean room
-room had a mini fridge and a microwave (at least the one they put me in did)

CONS:---
-cheap rates and good metro location = obvious favorite for school groups
-rooms gets a bit stuffy if the AC unit is not running constantly
-loud noises when neighbors turn on/off the shower
-housekeeping staff with possible nefarious intentions (why the running instead of apologizing?)
-event space on-site = possible loud late night noise from wedding receptions, etc. (yup, experience this too but it stopped before the kids noise next door)

The lot for the metro station next door has free parking on weekends and is $7 during the week. On my next visit to Alexandria, I will stay elsewhere and drive to the metro station and pay the cheap parking fee. You may want to consider that as well.

Room Tip: ice machine is LOUD - request to be away from it!!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
We are very sorry to hear about your experiences during your stay here. Your review has been received and is being taken very seriously. Please know that this is not an automated response, we do not generate those at this hotel. We take all feedback very seriously and the experience you had is not a typical stay for any of our guests. Everything you have mentioned is being reviewed from the top down to ensure that it does not happen again. While we obviously cannot fix your stay, we want to ensure no other guest has anything close to what you experienced happen again.

Please feel free to contact us directly because we truly do want every one of our guests to feel they were taken care of 100% during their stay. We would love a chance to speak with you personally.
Bristol, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

The staff was extremely friendly and the hotel was very nice and convenient to local ammenities. The shuttle drivers were extremely helpful and willing to take us anywhere we needed to go and was happy to come get us when we were ready to go back to the hotel. The breakfast was great and overall, I would stay here again! It is convenient to the Metro also.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Tracie R, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria SW Eisenhower Ave, responded to this review, May 18, 2013
Come back anytime Kendra! We love reviews like this and it goes without saying that a little praise goes a long way. Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to leave such a great review on our hotel. You can be assured that it has been shared with all of our team members who played a part in making your stay an enjoyable one!

See you again soon!

Been to Holiday Inn Alexandria SW Eisenhower Ave? Share your experiences!