“Nice hotel with access to Metro Rail. Pool no fun.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #24 of 50 Hotels in Alexandria
Frisco, Texas, United States
“Nice hotel with access to Metro Rail. Pool no fun.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel many times for business, but this trip was vacation with two of my children. This is a nice Holiday Inn, very clean, quiet rooms. Decent food at the restaurant, but there are multiple restaurants across the street, as well as a movie theater. The hotel has free shuttle service to the airport and Old Town Alexandria. The Eisenhower Metro Rail station is across the parking lot, which is important if you are coming to enjoy the sights of Washington, DC. You will not need a car to get around with the Metro located so closely.

My only complaint is with the indoor pool. The hours are only 3pm to 10pm, which is not convenient if you have kids and want to swim early in the day. The reason for these limited hours is because the hotel employs a life guard. I understand that a hotel may want to reduce their liability by hiring a life guard, but this life guard made the pool experience bad for my boys. Within seconds of arriving, the life guard spoke quite harshly with my boys about the rules. Within five minutes he was yelling at them for some minor infraction (probably running). I know that rules have to be obeyed, but his tone was very harsh. One of my boys flipped into the pool when I wasn't looking, and guard came over to me and said, "Did you see that? He just flipped! He could have hit his head!" As if I was somehow a bad parent for not controlling their every move. He then harshly chastised my son for the flip. I kept an eye on the life guard and saw his face periodically scowl while shaking his head. The end result is that my boys did their best to have fun, while I sat outside the pool nervously watching them to make sure they didn't do anything more to evoke the guard's ire. The hotel should either forget having a life guard, like most hotels, or hire one with a more pleasant demeanor who doesn't destroy the fun of being at the pool.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Tracie R, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria SW Eisenhower Ave, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
First, thank you very much for bringing the situation of the pool and the overly cautious lifeguard to our attention. While we do care for our youngest guests and their safety, it goes without saying that everything can be done with a smile, including keeping everyone safe and sound in the pool. This will be addressed with the outside lifeguard company that we use. Without your comments, we would not be aware of what is occuring and so for that we thank you!

Secondly, we have received a lot of feedback about the pool hours and we are very pleased to announce that we have changed the pool hours to allow for more time in the water! The pool is now open from 10am - 10pm thanks to guests like you who took the time to let us know what they would like to see us offer. We know that this does not change the experience you had during your stay, but we do hope that you will come back and see us again and of course bring your kids with you to give the pool another try!

Please feel free to join us on facebook and give us a shout when you're coming back so we can have the 'red carpet' rolled out for your arrival. We would be honored to have you back!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
los angeles, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

I was attending a conference in Washington DC, but found the conference hotel too expensive, so I stayed here.

The room itself was basic, but clean. Not much of a view, unless you like freeway ramps. There is a refrigerator and a microwave, free wi-fi and plenty of channels on the TV. No free breakfast (a buffet will set you back about $10-15). The freeway outside was a little noisy late at night (trucks), but nothing that the TV or air conditioner couldn't drown out.

The hotel is a five-minute walk away from the Metro (tip: if you are staying more than a day, buy the SmartTrip pass for $5). There is a small shopping center with several restaurants and a movie theater. No problems walking in the neighborhood any time of day or night. The hotel will shuttle you to Reagan Airport or Old Town Alexandria.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for your honest and fair feedback of our hotel, it sounds as though you were comfortable during your stay and we provided a nice alternative to a downtown stay during your conference. Yes, the hotels downtown do get quite pricey especially during conference season and we're glad to hear that you were able to stay with us and still attend the meetings that you were in town to attend.

If you're in town again and prefer to drive around rather than use the metro, we now offer a Room and Ride package that allows you to book your room and Enterprise rental car will arrange a car for you directly through the hotel at a discounted rate for the duration of your stay. Just a thought for your next stay if this is something that might interest you next time you're in town.

Thank you again, we truly appreciate the time it takes to leave feedback and love hearing from our guests!
Dexter, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

The hotel is located right at a busy intersection and has weird entry/exit for vehicles, so be aware of that if you're driving. While the location was perfect for my needs (5 minute walk to the Eisenhower Ave Metro [yellow line] and walking distance from the USPTO), there was nothing else that was really excellent about the hotel. It's right next to 495 and even up on the 9th floor, the rush of traffic on the Beltway was audible all night. The staff was welcoming and the small bag of water/granola bars was a nice touch, but the tub/shower was in need of an update, or at least a good recaulking. The beds are also REALLY HIGH. I'm not sure if that's just in the King rooms, but I'm 5'8" and had to climb in! A "good value" in the DC Area (especially during what was originally forecast to be peak bloom of the Cherry Blossoms) but since everything in DC is WAY overpriced, take that with a grain of salt!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Tracie R, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria SW Eisenhower Ave, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Thank you for your honest feedback, we can only improve when we know how our guests feel. Your comments pointed out something that is very true about the entrance to our hotel, we do have our own unique, private entrace that is accessible from many different directions! Some would say we are so accessible we are almost inaccessible if you're not paying attention. We hope it didn't cause too much confusion upon your arrival.

While we get a lot of positive comments about our new pillow top beds, we know that they may not be the best for everyone. Please let us know the next time you are coming becuase we would be more than happy to accommodate you with a small step stool that would help if you would like this assistance. We take pride in making sure each and every guest is taken care of personally and if we have missed the opportunity to have you leave with less than anything but 100% satisfaction, we want to fix that in the future.

Your time is important to you and taking time out of your schedule to leave honest feedback is important to us. Everything you have said will be shared with the entire staff to ensure we don't miss a chance to improve our hotel in the future. We do hope that you will come back and visit us again the next time you're in DC.
Wilmington, North Carolina, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We decided to save some money by staying in Alexandria. We saved a lot on gas by using the metro that was just steps away, and free parking makes up for the metro fare! We didn't move our car once after we parked at arrival. The Eisenhower Metro Station is just steps away and it takes, give or take 30 minutes to get into DC (Smithsonian Station), and you only have to switch over lines once. It wasn't bad at all!
This hotel couldn't be in a better location. Across the street was a Starbucks, AMC Theater, Cold Stone Creamery, and a few more restaurants. We would walk over each night and have dinner and ice cream and bring our leftovers back to the room and put them in our fridge. The area is quiet and we always felt safe because we saw many policemen patrolling the area. The hotel was very clean and up to date, and the staff were very friendly and went out of their way to make sure you were having a great stay. The cleaning crew did an excellent job in the room each day. We were always restocked with coffee, soap, towels, etc... I can't comment on the heated pool or food because we never used the pool or ate in the hotel, but everything looked wonderful!
The only cons would have to be that the bathrooms are a little small for 3 or 4 adults, and my bed was a little lumpy, but it didn't even matter after a long day touring DC! I highly recommend this hotel to anyone looking to save money and wanting to be in a calmer area than DC.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Tracie R, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria SW Eisenhower Ave, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
There really is nothing better than Cold Stone is there? It's a favorite among many of our guests and the location just can't be beat! So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your wonderful comments!

Please do come back and visit us again soon! We'll save a parking spot for you!
Seattle
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

This was for a DC trip and I tried to save some money by staying in Alexandria. Don't do it.I paid just under $200 for one night and it was a hard bill to sign. For a family of 4; you're looking at $24 a day for the Metro so factor that into your hotel budget. Parking was free so that helped. You are right next to a major freeway interchange although road noise isn't too bad. It was clean but pretty tight on the amenities such as cups in the room.

A huge disappointment was that the pool didn't open until 3:00. There's a Starbucks within walking distance but I needed to get some warmer clothes for the kids and had to spend an hour in traffic going to the mall in Tysons Corner. According to the front desk; there wasn't anything closer. I would not stay there again as the ROI was average to poor. Next time I would spend more to be in D.C.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Alexandria SW Eisenhower Ave, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear Desti5117.

Thank you so much for your comments. I am delighted you liked our parking service and convenient location. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced caused by the room amenities and hotel facility you experienced during your stay. Rest assured we will address this and I hope when you return you will see improvements made.

Zelyn N
Case Manager
IHGCare
Parma, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I'm so glad we decided to stay at this hotel. It was a first trip for my granddaughters 9 & 11 and I was apprehensive about getting around DC with them. We were able to walk from the Metro Yellow Line with luggage in 5-7 minutes to the hotel door. The front desk offered a shuttle but the walk was just as convenient. The hotel staff was exceptional. Even though the hotel was filled to capacity, Earl Hopkins at the front desk made us feel very welcome and treated us as special guests. My granddaughters were thrilled. Every member of the staff we encountered went out of their way to be friendly and helpful. The rooms have been updated and were very clean. If there was a downside it was the breakfast. The service was good however the food was lackluster. The pool was open with a lifeguard from 3-11 a great way for the girls to finish their day of sightseeing. We were able to walk across the street to several restaurants (and a cinema) or the shuttle would take us into Old Town. The area felt very safe - a top priority when travelling with younger children.

Knoxville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

Great location next to Eisenhower Metro station. Convenient to Restaurants and a movie theater. Clean hotel with a very nice swimming pool. Ordered a chicken Caesar salad and raspberry cheesecake via room service. I liked the meal but I have had better at other holiday inn restaurants. Also the server did not get my order correct the first or second time but I only ordered room service once so take a comment with a grain of salt.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to Holiday Inn Alexandria SW Eisenhower Ave? Share your experiences!